IGNORED

NonContact Thermometer

craigatcsi

While browsing Harbor Freight this past w/e, (something I often do - but shouldn't), I bought one of their NonContact Thermometers -

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96451

I thought among other uses, I could use it on my Venture to make sure all cylinders are firing the same. I have read other posts on here about just this thing.

The problem is that THIS one apparently doesn't like chrome. I get temps that are all over the range. One was 424°F, others were around 180°F. So, I tried to point it at the black on the cylinder head as close to the exhaust port as I could get. Which isn't going to give me what I am after. BTW, the bike runs fine, I was just curious.

Oh well, it's a nice toy that works otherwise. If you happen to have one, are you having the same problem?

Also, after immediately getting the batteries in it, am I the only guy that the first thing I did was point it at my wife's backside? - Like I said, it's a nice toy. :)

craigr

They are nice, but they work exactly like my infrared camera. You have to know what you are shooting at, you can get a lot of refracted heat on shiny metal. Don't they also have a focal distance, after which the temperature reading is an average that is spread out over a large area?

Looking at the owners manual:

Non-reflective surfaces will yield a more accurate reading than reflective surfaces. Duct tape (not included) can be applied to reflective surfaces in order to get a better measurement. Allow sufficient time for the tape to match the temperature of the surface it is applied to before trying to get a reading.

The maximum range for the Infrared Thermometer is about 8 feet. The object being tested should be larger than the size calculated by the field of view diagram, below

You are right, they do not like chrome, aluminum, Stainless steel or anything else shiny or reflective. There are more expensive ones that have an adjustment to compensate for the emissivity of the surface that you are measuring. You also have to look at and understand the field of view diagram. if you get to more than a couple of inches from what you are measuring it will take an average of everything that it sees in its field of view.

Remember that the laser pointer is about an inch above the center of the field of view, so when you are close to something you must take that into account.

But Ya, they are fun to play with.