Not too long before installing the HID on the bike, my radio had been acting up.. I had thought it was a bad connection on one of the cable plugs etc but the other day, the whole thing went up and died..

Turn the ignition on, press the audio or CB button on the handle bar controller and nothing.. the controller doesn't light up, no juice or crackle or nuttin coming through the speakers.

I checks all the cables, wires, ground and so on etc etc.. nothing..

I pulled the radio from my buddy's bike as we were installing his HID and yup, his radio works.. ARGH... logic says, my radio is dead. oh no.. It sounded bad for weeks prior and it finally gave up the ghost the other day.. BLECH... can't even play MP3s as everything goes through that box..

Does any one know what the YELLOW cable does?

So, here's the question..

Its a 2006 Midnight Venture. Its a US bike here in Canada. I have no warranty here in Canada but I can get warranty work done in the USA if I am down there and can find a sympathetic dealer to help.. Is the radio a warranty item? If so, then I might be in luck as I'm going on my long road trip through the USA next month and could find a dealer in Maine to do a swap.. only takes 12 minutes to swap it out.. OR... find someone who could help me by doing a swap?

if NOT a warranty item, then where best to find a replacement radio?

I'm guessing that the previous two owners had done such a bad wiring job under the hood before I bought the bike, I had so many problems with the steering locks cutting everything that it weakened everything and poof... it gave up the ghost.

Hoping for some help.. Hard to ride in comfort and fun without the tunes.. =)

Down here in the states we dont trust stealerships any futher than we can throw em. Having said that, If you can get one to handle it great, but no one does it fast. If you don't get help consider contacting pinwallcycle.com parts in Ohio for the part. They salvage bikes and I have seen 99-2009's parted out. They give fast turnaround service and the prices are not bad.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

If you are still under warranty the radio IS covered so DO IT. A handful of folks here have had various radio components replaced under warranty with no issues from yamaha or the dealer. Since it isn't a serviceable item it should be a quick diagnosis for the dealer. It either works or it doesn't, then they order you a new one.

The radio amp goes for ~300 +shipping from Pinwall (1200 new). Radio control pod ~200 from pinwall +shipping and 600 new.

several radios from Pinwall for $300? ouch and no returns policy.. ouch..

Me thinks I shall have to do the USA warranty thingy next month.. 2006, 5 yr warranty, I'm good til next year, right? 7 hours to Houlton Maine from here.. Hmmm

Man a whole month with no tunes. blech

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.

Your radio is under warranty for 5 years.

Mines in the shop now with a non functional radio.

Ohio Service Manager stated Yamaha will only replace the radio, with a new radio, the first two years.

Year 3,4 and 5 they send radio in to Clairon in California, and Clarion, decides wether to repair or replace unit.

Maybe you could take off and send it? I'd ask dealer.

Others here have stated they do not fix the radios but just exchange with new ones as they are non serviceable.

Me thinks it all depends on what dealer your talkin to... at least that seems to be the way it is...

Good luck, Hope it works out for you...

yeah, I'm in Canada so it's finding the right dealership in the USA along I95 who can do this for me.. Most likely they'd have to order the radio in from Japan, like any and every frikken part I've had to order this past week lol..

I can't see a Canadian dealer about this because my bike is a US bike.. Oh well.

But yeah, touch base with your guy see if there is something that can be done to do this at low cost..

Cheers

Got this advice from fellow member "Herb in Texas"

"Customer relations Department Yamaha Motor corparation 1-800-962-7926.

Give the dealer a call and ask him to "do the right thing" If still unsatifactory call these folks. My dealer got the clutch covered under warenty @ 60K+ miles. No call to corporate required by me at all.

I believe it all has to do with the dealer. They have an agreement with Yamaha to accept what they pay on warenty work. Which is below standard shop rates. I do believe however that when I read my warenty it did say somthing about the radio being under a different standard. Hope this helps"

Maybe they could work it out that you just mail radio to Clairon in California. After all you did all the trouble shooting and proved it was the radio when you swapped it out and other one worked just fine.

Perhaps they will point you to a dealer?

It's worth a call...

Thanks for the additional info.. there's a dealership in Newport Maine who did my shock for me, having set things up over the phone etc.. I'll be calling them up and hopefully could do a non-shop time swap with them whereas I pull my own radio out and hand it to them.. only took 12 mins to swap them out the bike today.. quick.. I was surprised..

But it's that scaling warranty you alluded to that might be the show stopper..

Well this would certainly explain why my radio was getting static on the back roads.. like I lost 1/2 the range on my antennas.. Hmm

Thanks again!

• 8 months later...

The radio is a warranty item and Yamaha will repair it if your bike is still under warranty. :bang head:Seaking;465943]Not too long before installing the HID on the bike, my radio had been acting up.. I had thought it was a bad connection on one of the cable plugs etc but the other day, the whole thing went up and died..

Turn the ignition on, press the audio or CB button on the handle bar controller and nothing.. the controller doesn't light up, no juice or crackle or nuttin coming through the speakers.

I pulled the radio from my buddy's bike as we were installing his HID and yup, his radio works.. ARGH... logic says, my radio is dead. oh no.. It sounded bad for weeks prior and it finally gave up the ghost the other day.. BLECH... can't even play MP3s as everything goes through that box..

Its a 2006 Midnight Venture. Its a US bike here in Canada. I have no warranty here in Canada but I can get warranty work done in the USA if I am down there and can find a sympathetic dealer to help.. Is the radio a warranty item? If so, then I might be in luck as I'm going on my long road trip through the USA next month and could find a dealer in Maine to do a swap.. only takes 12 minutes to swap it out.. OR... find someone who could help me by doing a swap?

I'm guessing that the previous two owners had done such a bad wiring job under the hood before I bought the bike, I had so many problems with the steering locks cutting everything that it weakened everything and poof... it gave up the ghost.

Please read my article on "Radio Dead". Sounds like you are having the same problem. If wires were cut in the front of the bike under the front couling it probably blew your amp. I had the same problem with wires being cut in the manner in which they were routed. That caused the amp to blow but shorting it out. Yamaha replaced the amp with no problem. It took a while to get this done as I found out that motorcycle techs do not really like to work or understand the electronic of the venture. Hope that this helps. Dan:bang head:

Guest scarylarry

I believe a dealer will fix it under warranty, but I can almost promise you they will have to order it.

It is something they would have on a shelf waiting to be installed..

So you may have a wait and another trip for them to install it.

You could get someone to swap with you and then let them do it here under warranty work and then they keep the new.......Did I say that?

you didn't mention the fuse or fuses if someone had been into this before.

main power if coming off the battery may be bad.

right after i got my 08 venture same problem occurred and after splitting the faring and using dilectric grease on the connections and getting them tight with electrical tape all has been well since. good luck

Not too long before installing the HID on the bike, my radio had been acting up.. I had thought it was a bad connection on one of the cable plugs etc but the other day, the whole thing went up and died..

mine went out april of 2010 took the controler off sent it in 6 to 8 weeks later i got it back said nothing was wrong with it wanted the amp next so sent it in they lost my amp so they sent me another one but didnt get it till october it played for one day and went out again wiating on a warm day so i can go back to the dealer and replace it again good luck

• 2 years later...

Good morning,

My radio did the same thing. It was fine all last year but this year it's totally dead. Now i had to jump the bike to get it started this spring and I'm wondering if I damage the radio by doing so because my trip odometer and clock wont hold the settings. They work fine while the bike is running, but reset when the bike is turned off. It"s a 2008 Venture and I'm thinking this is the last year for the warranty. If the dealer won't cover it, what options do I have? Is there an after market radio I could use in place of the original? I haven't taken apart the fering yet but I did check the audio fuse and it's good so I'll have to dig deeper into the problem. It seem like everything on these bikes are so damn expensive to fix. I might just have to bite the bullet and pay if I want to listen to some tunes while I cruse.

Thanks

Frank

Your warranty starts from the day it was first sold. So if the 08 sat on the floor for a year its still got plenty of warranty left.Jumping it should not have any effect on that. I would take it to the dealer and just tell him it stopped working and started doing what it is doing. No need for him to know any details. It just started doing that one day. That's all he needs to know.

Old thread but similar post...

If your clock and trip odometer isn't "keeping"... how old is your battery?

I replaced my battery this spring and mine is an '09.

This doesn't explain your radio issue though. I take it you already checked the fuses? Split the fairing and checked the connections?

• 2 years later...

I have an 09 Venture and have had the bike in to the dealer three times for the audio system. Replaced the tape deck twice and the speakers once. I was riding one day and the radio went on the blink. When I pulled in the clutch lever the radio would play but when I let the clutch out it wouldn't which makes no sense since the clutch is hydrolic. There is power to the controler and to the amp but nothing plays. All fuses are good. Don't have a clue what it might be unless the amp is shot. Where can I find an used amp? I don't want to pay $1200.00 for a new one. Is there an after market unit that will work?

Two things come to mind.

1: Check for broken wires inside the wiring loom by the clutch. IE...wiggle the wires and see if the radio plays or not. Maybe using the clutch is moving the radio wiring somewhere causing a short or a wire to be loose.

2: The clutch handle also turns off the cruise control. So there may be some circuit somewhere that interfaces with the cruise/radio power or the signal circuit between the radio and amp circuits??? They may have a common junction point in the wiring harness. Weird...right? Find that and you will find a short somewhere.

Does your cruise work?

Thinking out loud here...[/color]

I have an 09 Venture and have had the bike in to the dealer three times for the audio system. Replaced the tape deck twice and the speakers once. I was riding one day and the radio went on the blink. When I pulled in the clutch lever the radio would play but when I let the clutch out it wouldn't which makes no sense since the clutch is hydrolic. There is power to the controler and to the amp but nothing plays. All fuses are good. Don't have a clue what it might be unless the amp is shot. Where can I find an used amp? I don't want to pay $1200.00 for a new one. Is there an after market unit that will work?

Mwhorton

Your post is worthy of it's own thread. I almost missed it buried in this old posting. The clutch switch is located near the light and mic switches. It is wired through the main switch, back-up fuse and starter cutout relay. As such a short or open affecting one of these circuits can cause weird things to happen. The post recommending a wiggle test is very valid. Also continuity test the switch. Wiring diagrams are available in the tech section.

Good Luck

Mike

The clutch lever also has a switch that lets you start the bike in gear , same as the sidestand switch cuts the engine if its in gear , clutch in or not . try with sidestand up and down to see if its a common circuit

as stated by mike , do a continuity test on the wiring harness , to look for shorts