If I turn on the key, and the run switch, the fuel pump will not cycle. I unplugged the connection to the pump, used a circuit tester, and confirmed it is getting power to the connection, and is cycling for about 5 seconds on start up. Plugged it back into the pump, and got nothing with cycling key and run switch off and on. However, did notice the connection started to get hot. Unplugged the connection, ran jumper wires straight to the fuel pump plug, and it just sparks, does not pump at all. Is there a way to rebuild these? Or just replace them?

Thanks

FYI, there are internal contacts in the fuel pump...that may need a cleaning... If the pressure sensor is bad...then replacement is the only option.

Puppy,

I cleaned the contacts already in the one I sent you.

:sign isnt that spec

Gary

Yes, I did clean the little contact breaker points, to no avail. But, I have another one on the way. Thanky dingy! :thumbsup2:

I was hoping to get her up and running for the annual lime run up here. It is a great charity bike ride for the make a wish foundation. But, at leat I still had the old standby Concours. Can I say Concours on this website?

Hopefully that will be my last mechanical problem. then I can start looking at the the repaint, and road trips!

Has anybody ever come up with some kind of aftermarket electric fuel pump ( automotive, or otherwise ) that we could substitute for this Wierdo Fuel Pump ????

There must be something out there that would work --- Any ideas ??

I think a replacement would only need to fit the space and supply the correct pressure.

All we need are the pressure and volume specs, right?

My '83 - '85 manual says;

maximum 0.7A

1.16 - 2.28 psi output pressure

Anyone have an idea of a possible replacement?

Even the old electric pumps for carbureted cars put out around 7psi.

I don't know if the float valves would take that much pressure if the stock Yamaha pump is only 2.28psi max.

You may need to add something like this fuel pressure regulator that can be adjusted from 1-6psi.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BWAPQ6/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00029JC6M&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0MV9EVM80RVJSHPSSK97]Amazon.com: Mr. Gasket 9710 Fuel Regulator: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41P8VCD26ZL.@@AMEPARAM@@41P8VCD26ZL[/ame]

Edited by Flyinfool

Has anybody ever come up with some kind of aftermarket electric fuel pump ( automotive, or otherwise ) that we could substitute for this Wierdo Fuel Pump ????

There must be something out there that would work --- Any ideas ??

I bought a Mr. Gasket fuel pump from autozone the other day, it's a 4-7psi universal one and it's working great.

I had to buy a few 90's and a straight peice about an inch long so that I could route the output side in a "U" shape so that it would fit behind the side cover and I just zip-tied it in place.

Have'nt put any miles on it yet but it's got about an hour of run time with no problems.

I bought a Mr. Gasket fuel pump from autozone the other day, it's a 4-7psi universal one and it's working great.

I had to buy a few 90's and a straight peice about an inch long so that I could route the output side in a "U" shape so that it would fit behind the side cover and I just zip-tied it in place.

Have'nt put any miles on it yet but it's got about an hour of run time with no problems.

Good info:thumbsup:

The Mr. Gasket fuel pump was around $45 at autozone off the shelf, you may want to get a regulator too "hanging right next to the fuel pumps", at first when it primed fuel belched out of the drain hoses so I thought I blew the carbs up but my floats were stuck.

Once I tapped on the bowls with a ratchet extension to free them it ran fine.

I doubt a typical pump is going to have all the trouble that crazy yamaha design has with all of the exposed wiring and contacts and stuff lol.

• 8 years later...

I know this is an old thread. But that being said, I have used the Mr Gasket 42S fuel pump from autozone (or napa, oreilley's, etc) on my 88 Honda shadow that had the same problem and it worked great. Mr hasket makes 2 universal pumps. The 42S is rated for a max pressure of 3.5psi and the other one is the 12S and is rated for 4-7psi. If you use the 12S you will definetly need some kind of regulator but on my shadow the original pump was doing the same kind of thing where it had a max of less than 3psi. the 42S worked great and I had put several thousand miles on that. The Venture's carbs should be able to handle that. I am going through my 88 Venture now and will most likely have to do this swap on it.