IGNORED

J&M vs. Edsets, Which is better?

scottc

Just got an 06 RSV Midnite and couldn't be happier! My son and I are going to be doing some trips this spring and summer. Ready to buy some headsets. I know the Yamaha headsets are made by J&M and I can get a 15% discount on those. How do they compare to the Edsets? I've read a lot of post and not sure which to purchase. Any advice would be appreciated as far as sound quality and wind noise, Reliability etc. What a great site, I look foward to joining.Thanks Scott

I have never used the Edsets but I have heard great things about them..I am currently using the J&M Elite 584 and in my opinion they ar fantastic. I have been told nothing beats the edsets as far as music thru the headsets but my Elites are pretty darn good!

I bought the Edsets. I am not happy with them at all. However, let me qualify that by saying that while my hearing (in my old age) is not the best, I still prefer my music to sound at least listenable...and the Edsets (and probably any other helmet speaker) just did not do the job.

I recently posted how I would rate the Edsets vs Speakers vs Earbuds.

If I remember correctly I rated like this (on a scale of 1-10 - with 10 being the best):

Edsets - 2

Speakers- 4

Earbuds - 8

Not all is lost with the Edsets though...they do offer the option to use earbuds using their headsets...and that works very well.

Just my opinion...and I am just saying that if you are buying Speakers for the bike or Speakers for your helmet to listen to HIGH FIDELITY...then you're probably barking up the wrong tree. :rotf:

Wally

Don't know how you used the Ed Sets but, to be fair, they are made to be used with ear plugs with the volume turned up.

Normally I don't use them that way but, I was surprised at how much better they sounded when I did use earplugs and turn them up on my Texas trip last year.

Also, I've noticed that they tend to have a sweet spot. If they aren't centered over your ear they don't sound as good either. Distance from the ear also makes a difference and, depending on the helmet (I have an HJC Symax) the speakers are farther from your ear than ideal. My Wifes CLmax holds the speakers much closer to the ear and the sound is quite a bit better.

Just some things to take into consideration. :2cents:

I got the edsets last year. I traded up from cheapie Chatterbox, and I don't listen to music much. Couldn't really tell the difference between the two. Guess maybe I was looking for hi fidelity. Now to be fair, the speakers aren't the speakers I use on my stereo, so they do have to be real close to your ear, and the amp built into our 1st gens are not what the edsets need to power them, so it's not necessarily the fault of the edsets, but probably an issue with the other components. So to keep it short, if all you want to do is talk, go easy on the price,, if want quality music then be prepared to make adjustments elsewhere as well.

i have 2 helmets with edsets and very poor hearing. i have tried several of the cheapies and they just did'nt have the frequency range i could hear. the edsets work great for me i needed alot of base responce the edsets gave me that. i really like mine. they give me a full range of stereo sound. i never use the speakers on my wing. i can't hear them unless i blast people out of their cars. the edsets have a full range of frequency responce. don't see how any could give more responce than the edsets. :2133:

I'm a bit fan of the Edsets also. I've tried the upper end models from J&M and from AirRider and both left a lot to be desired in my opinion. The secret to the Edsets is to get them close to your ears. They are VERY thin and if you mount them deep in the recesses made for other headset speakers, they will not sound very good. I actually have mine attached on the inside of the liner right next to my ears. They come with small pouches to slip over them and you can sew those pouches right to the inside of the liner. They are so thin that they do not hurt my ears and sound great.

I have not tried the ear buds but it makes sense that they would sound the best of all.

I pondered the same questions. IN our Shorty Helmets, we run J&M with the shorty insert. Not the best for hearing, with wind through the helment ear curtain, but reasonable considering the application and condition. We actually use in ear canal buds in this set up, and make if the best possible.

IN our new HJC, I just installed EdSets, and to the moment, I am satisfied with the first running. I do need to move the "mini" speakes in my helmet to fit over the ear, vs , where the cut out is in the helmet shell.

Feature I really like on EdSets, is the ability to plug in ear bud to the control top or, if not connecting to the Bike, use this to connect an IPod or MP3.

Warranty, looks like the new G3 units by EdSets is 3 years, versus J&M 1 year? Stands behind his quality.

Other feature, is you want move the EdSet to other helmets, really only need the 3M Dual Lock tape on the other helmetn and move the control top, then us ear buds.

Mic is removable (if this the style you order) and there by can listing to the tunes, and not be bothered by mic boom.

Will update, when we have run the sets longer.

First impression, good stuff from EdSets.

I'm a bit fan of the Edsets also. I've tried the upper end models from J&M and from AirRider and both left a lot to be desired in my opinion. The secret to the Edsets is to get them close to your ears. They are VERY thin and if you mount them deep in the recesses made for other headset speakers, they will not sound very good. I actually have mine attached on the inside of the liner right next to my ears. They come with small pouches to slip over them and you can sew those pouches right to the inside of the liner. They are so thin that they do not hurt my ears and sound great.

I have not tried the ear buds but it makes sense that they would sound the best of all.

i use ear buds once in awhile, if i don't wear my helmet with the edsets. the earbuds are a real pain. seem to never be in the right place and if you get the cord caught on something it yanks them out. not real comfortable unless you have the high dollar custom fitted ones. another plus for the edsets is the non break cord. i think this is their main claim to fame.:2133:

I don't use any on the bike not really have the need for headset usually one up.

As for ear buds, try the type that fit into you ear canal. (Skull Candy, etc...) They fit better (like an ear plug) and sound better because they project directly in to your ear canal.

Another thing to remember, ear phones are not legal in most places, and they greatly reduce your ability to hear what is going on around you.

:2cents:

• 5 months later...

I've been pretty pleased with them. I took Ed's advice and put heat shrink over the mic to reduce wind noise, It seems to help. I need to experiment with location of the speakers for better sound.So far thumbs up:thumbsup2:

I pondered the same questions. IN our Shorty Helmets, we run J&M with the shorty insert. Not the best for hearing, with wind through the helment ear curtain, but reasonable considering the application and condition. We actually use in ear canal buds in this set up, and make if the best possible.

IN our new HJC, I just installed EdSets, and to the moment, I am satisfied with the first running. I do need to move the "mini" speakes in my helmet to fit over the ear, vs , where the cut out is in the helmet shell.

Feature I really like on EdSets, is the ability to plug in ear bud to the control top or, if not connecting to the Bike, use this to connect an IPod or MP3.

Warranty, looks like the new G3 units by EdSets is 3 years, versus J&M 1 year? Stands behind his quality.

Other feature, is you want move the EdSet to other helmets, really only need the 3M Dual Lock tape on the other helmetn and move the control top, then us ear buds.

Mic is removable (if this the style you order) and there by can listing to the tunes, and not be bothered by mic boom.

Will update, when we have run the sets longer.

First impression, good stuff from EdSets.

Well have been running the season now (Canada EH! Short riding season), and can tell you the we really like our EdSets over our J&M Sets. Let me comment.

1) we typically ride with high quality ear cannel bud

2) this blocks out a significant amount of road/wind noise

3) we can run IC at 4 and music/volume no louder than 12

4) only issue is the mic boom seems a little flex/loose as the boom tends to fall away

5) we did put the heat shrink over the mic and secured it and cut out most of the wind noise when we ride without the earbuds and only helmet speakers.

6) love the feature to plug ear buds into the back of the EdSets - G3 unit. Only one I know that does that.

7) Considering changing mic boom next year on both helmets and use the "wire in" feature and secure the boom to inside of helmet to make it more permanent

THIS IS ALL related to our HJC-AC3 Carbon helmets. NOT our Shorty helmets. That is work for the upcoming season.

Ride Safe!

First off, don't buy your headsets from the dealer. The ones they sell are not the best and over priced.

I bought the J&M elite head sets and and they work great.

I gotta agree with you, I bought the elite 584 off of ebay for $80.00 and I listen to music from my satellite radio and mp3 player and it sounds really good. Don't buy from deal;er check ebay and amazon and buy the elite series.; Also if it will fit a goldwing it will also work on the Yamaha.

• 2 years later...

Yes this is an old thread BUT there is new news, I ordered a set of G3 Edsets last night and first time I looked at them a few days ago there was no option, but now they have an Option for an upgraded speaker, I think they call it the Thunderclap option, About $12 extra, So who would pass that up?

So if they were good as everyone says in this thread, they are BETTER now.

NEWS you can USE.

• 3 months later...

I have had both J&M and EdSets, and both required warranty for the connection between the helmet and the pigtail. They call it a dongle, and it has a very small wires that break when bent enough times. Both J&M and EdSets replaced with no questions asked, however, I favour the Edsets. Smaller company and Ed stands behind his product-even when past the warranty.

I have 40 to 45% hearing loss in both ears and the EdSets work great for me. Just crank em up!!