IGNORED

4000 Mile Check-up

My 08 is at the dealers for the 4000 mile check-up and a leaking seal on the shaft drive. The question is I have a little over 5000 miles on the stock rear tire, the dealer said I could get another 2000 +/- out of it but seeing they have to take the tire off do I want it replaced right now? it would save $$$ down the road. When they take the rear wheel off is there anything else I should have them do? grease the drive splines & hub pins? check anything? Should I upgrade to the E3 from the stock 404? thanks for any imput.

If i were in your shoes, i would have the tire replaced. get a rim and mount the take off onto it. if you have them do some lubing for you, just make sure they do it right, or you will be doing it again not long from now. I have a new Dun E3 on the rear and will get a new E3 for the front in awhile.

It really depends on how much you ride.

I agree, if you can afford a 2nd rear wheel, that sounds like a good idea - it'd be nice to have a 2nd one on hand and ready to go.

If not, and you don't plan on any long trips away from home in the next couple of months or whatever, then I'd say ride off what you've got until it really needs to be replaced. If you think you'll be taking a long trip or two in the near future, I'd say go ahead and replace it with an E3 (Avon or commander, depending on your preference, of course) - that way you've got a fresh one on and scuffed in (and tested out) to ensure many trouble free miles (barring punctures or whatever, of course).

About 5-6000 miles are all you are going to get from a 404. Not a good tire for this heavy of a bike. Take the opportunity to switch it out to an E3 (or Avon Venom, or Michelin Commander) while it is down. When the 404 runs out, it does it quickly. Don't ask why I know.

RR

That is true for the original 404 that comes on the bikes but there have been a number of reports here that the replacement 404 does not last as long as the original for some reason. I don't know if Dunlop uses a different formula for the tires that they supply to Yamaha or what. Maybe there is nothing to it at all, I'm not sure. I know that several have reported getting 12,000 miles or more from the original and then well under 10,000 on the replacement. I had similar results myself. I changed out my first one at around 13,000 miles. It had more life in it but I was leaving on an extended trip so went ahead and changed it out. The next 404 only went about 8,000 miles before it had to be replaced. Maybe it was a fluke. Different roads, riding conditions, etc. but others have reported similar experiences.

As mentioned before, this will all depend on how much you ride. If you can get another 2000 or more miles, I personally will keep the tire and replace it once you really use up more tread and is already unsafe to ride. The oil seal repair, I assume will be done under warranty...so save your dollars until it is really time for a rear tire. I am confident that you still have a descent amount of grease on your splines for an '08, but this condition may be addressed by your repair shop once they pull out the tire and may recommend to grease the splines.

For the next few months or so before actually installing a new rear tire, use the time to learn how to grease your own splines if your are so inclined.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I went with the E-3 the bike has been at the dealers since 4/5 I'm still waiting on parts a seal and coupler for the shaft drive. Being new the the venture as an owner does Yamaha always take so long getting parts in to a dealership? The only good thing is the weather has been crappy in NY during my wait.