IGNORED

speedo problem

oldgoat

ok we took it out for a run and i must say where getting there still idles a little rough but going to run the pi## out of it. still about 1/4 full with that can of seafoam i put in it . but i hit 55 mph and i swear i had like a dozen cats screaming at me. let me tell ya it puckerd me up. i though oh crap its going to lock up the engine? well i noticed the speedo was just jumping. and damn the noise was loud. so ok is it the cable. or the drive unit at the wheel keep in mind we did both wheels rotors brakes and all did i mess something up while doing that work? i have a extra used cable here as well as the driveunit. but dang i hate to think i got to pull that front wheel again. i also learned if you think it needs to be oiled you better do it. time to wd 40 and check everything out. you know the most fun is learning to do it and learn. right now i would like to kick the PO arse. letting the bike get this way. but when i get er done im going to be one happy guy. also whats the best setting for air. i got 12 in front and 32 rear that might be why it feels so tall. and a little fun getting on it. and is there a way to tell if progressive springs have been installed its a 84 and for some reason or im not looking right i dont see anti dives? also no front air cross over for the forks? where it should be by the key there is now a pull switch that works the fan? why someone did that i dont know? its never overheated on me and i never pulled that switch. except to see what it was. maybe just a precaution while sitting in heavy traffic turn it on?

Hey Ya' Oldgoat,

There is a bushing in the speedo unit in the dash, you will need to get some oil into the head unit where the speedo comes UP from the wheel. I have had good luck pulling the windshield, removing the dash flipping it back and using 3in1 oil. (not WD40 to thin)

Some one else may have a trick to get to the dash without going to all that trouble but this is the only way I have found to get oil in the head unit of the speedo.

Earl

I wonder if a spray chain lube wouldn't be a good choice for that bushing? Seems it might wick in then firm up.

When I remove the cluster I pull the windshield and headlamp. Removing the headlamp lets me get a long extension with a 10mm socket in to take the mount bolts out. Unplug the electrical connectors and disconnect the speedo cable and it lifts right out.

well i pulled it off down by the wheel. and the cable didnt come out? or should it? at one time the whole cluster had water in it. old PO didnt take care of it. i got the water out of it and it worked fine. i bought a nice cluster full gages and all for a steal looks like new. and only 18000 miles on it. im thinking. with some help ill put that on my bike? but micarl tould me how to get to it thanks. i also have a verry nice radio a trial member here sold me and he sent it all . thats why i like this place he tossed in a false tank cover that i would say is a 8 out of a ten. now a paint job and ill be ridding cool. i cant call it ugly some one named dan took that title:whistling:

• 2 years later...

I followed the instruction someone else had posted on here to buy a 1/4" pipe cap (avabl at any hardware/plumbing store), drill a 7/32 hole for a grease zerk and tap for same (1/4" 28 thread) and screw in the zerk. The pipe cap fits on the threads on the speedometer itself on the back of the instrument cluster. After that just pump in some moly 60 (that all 1st gen Venture riders should have for lubricating the drive shaft) and voila! No more noise. Worked great for me and so glad as the noise was very loud and embarrassing.:322: