IGNORED

Fuel tank sender & petcock pictures

A few posts have been made in the past about the workings of the fuel tank level sender & the petcock.

I pulled these parts out of my spare gas tank and took some pictures of them to show how they work for interested members

44002.jpg.a38c2c2bee94450eae82e88f6b5682c7.jpg

Picture of the sender unit as it came out of the tank.

44003.jpg.2ad5d74e420576604561745f9860258d.jpg

Picture of sender with metal cover removed. The tabs do not have to be bent to remove metal cover. Just spring sides of cover out slightly and cover will slide back.

44011.jpg.36b1fbd9318ea1f75895dfdd291b2a03.jpg

Close up of the wire wound resistor. The metal wiper contact is at middle position in photo.

44008.jpg.316551347810db32f3a99116a946b5f8.jpg

In this view float is all the way down, at the empty position, metal slider contact is now positioned at bottom of wire wound resistor.

44006.jpg.c31c47ae729785e512526cb9c693ee32.jpg

View of petcock showing adjust lever.

44007.jpg.0811acfd2aaf5432e83bf02457b691f6.jpg

View showing the two screens that go into to the tank. The longer pickup tube is for the regular selection. The shorter tube is for the reserve side.

Gary

• Thanks 1

Interesting pictures. From what I remember, I do not have the shorter section. I pulled the sending unit to completely drain all the old gas from my tank, and looked. Did not see the short tube, only the long one, and it looked gunky. Also my valve is very stiff to turn. And my sending unit does not appear to work right, even after cleaning it. How much are you sellng these 2 items for?

Thanks

• 11 years later...

@Freebird Any chance we can revive these pics?  Went to leave for work this morning only to find a puddle of gas on the garage floor.  The highest wet spot I found was a steady drip from the petcock area.  I did find these gaskets in the saddlebag when I bought it.  I know where the petcock one goes, but not the other.  Diagram wasn’t really clear.

67DB1F1F-92C4-4C91-B5F3-7F0DE1937BFC.jpeg

Edited by Pasta Burner

• Freebird changed the title to Fuel tank sender & petcock pictures
5 hours ago, saddlebum said:

@Pasta BurnerThe other is for the sending unit at the top of the tank

Ahhhh I didn’t remove the seat for this unexpected project.  “Sending unit” confused me as it’s not sending fuel but fuel level signal.  Good news is as of this moment replacing the petcock gasket seems to have stopped the leak, of course it had a full tank 🙄.  Siphoned what I could but still made a mess out of my driveway still attempting to collect as much as possible.