IGNORED

Matched Tires or Not?

Smilerider

Ok so the real question is, can you run two different brand/tread pattern tires on the front and rear... The main reason I am asking is because I am thinking of switching to a M880 and I currently have a Bridgestone on the front. The Bridgestone still has about 1/2 the life left in it.. I have heard mixed stories about traction, handling, and well all out safety..... Some stories I hear is that it's fine to do, and others are just NEVER do that!!! What do you all think...

Thanks JM

:bagpipes-emoticon:

I did the same thing, But remember, with two different tires on the bike, rolling into , or onto a wet road, both tires get dicey, until there total wet.

I had the same bridgestone on the front, but changed the back tire twice Metzlers 880

Supposedly you're should change them at the same time because tires with wear don't have that nice rounded profile of a new tire. Presumably that causes handling problems when one has that rounded profile and the other has some worn shape.

That's the same reason I've heard for not mixing tire models (different shape).

When I had a ME880 begin to fail on the rear I bought a set of Kendas to replace them. Put the rear on right away but didn't get around to the front until after the season. Rode about 1000 miles that way. I've got another 1000 miles on with the Kenda on front.

There wasn't any noticeable handling change in any of the combinations.

Considering it's pretty much 2 to 1 front to back, I always mix and match. I used to think the matched pair thing was important but, personally, I think it's a bunch of hype. As long as they're both in good condition I've never been able to tell. Recently, I'd gone through 2 rears and the front was finally shot too and I replaced them with a pair of Spitfire II's. Mostly because they were super cheap and have raised whites. Good luck!

I have the dunlop 404 type on the front and a new dunlop E3 on the rear. while the brand is the same, the tires is different. i haven't been able to tell a difference. the rear was changed due to a rivet that caused a slow leak. when the front wears down enough, i will swap it for an e3. so far so good.

Ok so the real question is, can you run two different brand/tread pattern tires on the front and rear... The main reason I am asking is because I am thinking of switching to a M880 and I currently have a Bridgestone on the front. The Bridgestone still has about 1/2 the life left in it.. I have heard mixed stories about traction, handling, and well all out safety..... Some stories I hear is that it's fine to do, and others are just NEVER do that!!! What do you all think...

Thanks JM

I often have mixed tires because the rear never lasts as long as the front and I'm not wasting a good tire. I've never had any problems.

I have put over 106,000 miles on my 83 with many tires. I found that the Avon Venom X's were by far the best low speed handling of the bunch, but at anything over 65mph I began to have a tail waggle, and so did others have this problem. When I replaced the rear with an Elite 3, the bike still handled pretty nimble. When the front Elite 3 finally became available, I put one on. Even though the Elite 3's were not as nimble as the Avons, the neutrial feeling and stability was was noticeably improved.

In reality, I believe the best combination for handling was the Avon on the front and the Elite 3 on the rear.

RanyA

When you watch bike races, Moto GP etc., they don't change the front tire when they change the rear.

I've had "mismatched" sets on my bikes over the years, and I can't say that I noticed a difference in the handling.....except that I had a new tire on the back and better grip.......shouldn't be problem, at least in my little mind.

gunk:big-grin-emoticon:

Considering it's pretty much 2 to 1 front to back, I always mix and match. I used to think the matched pair thing was important but, personally, I think it's a bunch of hype. As long as they're both in good condition I've never been able to tell...

+1 agree, got three bikes, dual sport, mid cruiser, tourer. Mix & match on each of them, never any problems. But I wouldn't mix street & dirt tires on the same bike.:crackup:

Thanks so much for all the input. I certainly feel much better having this information. Now if I could just get all of you to agree on "One" brand of tires that are the best of the best that would be great... LOL It really seems to be between Avons, M880, and Elite....... I'm not really overly interested in white walls..... So I can be a bit more open... Thanks again everyone....

I can say that is the best $12 I have ever spent... :-)