IGNORED

Tach on my Royal Star

dug050

I posted before about installing the 2" Equus gauges on my Royal Star. Well I found a 2" tachometer that matches the other gauges very closely. I got it at Princess Auto on sale for $20, regular price is $35, so the price is right. It is a car tach but works great if you build the adapter harness shown on this site. There are about six different backlight colours that can be changed by pressing a button.

The adapter harness is very easy and cheap to make and allows the use of car tachometers which are much cheaper than most motorcycle tachs, at least in Canada.

Ride safe

Doug

It should be fine in the rain, the only opening in the case is the 4-6-8 cylinder switch on the back which I sealed with clear silicone. It also is protected behind the windshield when moving. I haven't ridden in the rain yet but don't expect any problem but a ziplock bag in the saddlebag may be good insurance.

Doug

So I figure you have it set on 4 cylinders and the thing is designed for a waste spark engine? Many two cylinder tachs work correctly on this bike because of the waste spark issue.

I wish I could find a shift light for that price. That's really all I need.

The tach is from Princess Auto (I'm not sure if they are in the USA), it is sold under their Powerfist label, #8005752, but it says Trisco on the tach. I imagine these are sold under other brand names at other stores. Their website is www.princessauto.com and you can order on-line or toll free 1-800-665-8685.

The tach is mounted on the handlebar. I have a milling machine and the mount is homemade out of aluminum stock. It took a couple of hours to make with my basic equipment, no CNC machines in my basement, but worked out fine.

• 2 years later...
It should be fine in the rain, the only opening in the case is the 4-6-8 cylinder switch on the back which I sealed with clear silicone. It also is protected behind the windshield when moving. I haven't ridden in the rain yet but don't expect any problem but a ziplock bag in the saddlebag may be good insurance.

Doug

I have the same tach. When it rains, cover it!!! It IS NOT waterproof. Cover it at night at motels and such if you do not use a bike cover. Moisture WILL get in and when it does, the needle will rotate completely out when you turn on the ignition. Once it dries out, it will be fine. I am going to try and waterproof mine this spring. I made a nice aluminum housing for mine at work, moisture still gets in from around the bezel and the button to change light color. Trust me, cover it!

Edited by rickardracing

• 6 years later...
  • 1 year later...
I posted before about installing the 2" Equus gauges on my Royal Star. Well I found a 2" tachometer that matches the other gauges very closely. I got it at Princess Auto on sale for $20, regular price is $35, so the price is right. It is a car tach but works great if you build the adapter harness shown on this site. There are about six different backlight colours that can be changed by pressing a button.

The adapter harness is very easy and cheap to make and allows the use of car tachometers which are much cheaper than most motorcycle tachs, at least in Canada.

Ride safe

Doug

Sir, how did you wire the equus tach? The green wire , I put on neg side of coil and am only gettitn half rpm reading? Thanks dutch