IGNORED

Another Pony in the Barn

SilvrT

Hauled daughter's boyfriend's VTX1300 over to my "shop" today. Hasn't been run much for a couple years so am going to service it, get it running, clean it all up and make it purr and look purdy.

Anyone know where I can get an electonic copy of a maintenance manual for it?

Where the heck is the oil filter on these thangs? (I haven't looked too hard...prolly right in front of my eyes)

[ATTACH]43612[/ATTACH]

:sign woo hoo: Those are nice bikes, I'm sure he'll be happy with it!! :)

As for the oil filter, if I recall correctly it is in an odd place... The rear of the motor.

Also (again, if memory serves me correctly), there are 2 oil drain plugs - and be careful, they strip easily. Honda recommends replacing the crush washer on each plug when you change the oil too.

A buddy of mine had an electronic copy of the service manual - I'll shoot him an e-mail and see if he still has it.

Hope it doesn't need too much work :thumbsup2:

:080402gudl_prv:

Edited by LilBeaver

A buddy of mine had an electronic copy of the service manual - I'll shoot him an e-mail and see if he still has it.

Hope it doesn't need too much work :thumbsup2:

:080402gudl_prv:

Don't think so, plugs are showing black so it's been running rich. Battery was dead. Gas didn't smell bad. It's an '03 with about 55k km's.

thanks

Okay - Just got off the phone with my friend. He said he does still have the electronic version of the service manual and will setup a link so that you can d/l it in a little bit.

I'll also see if we can't compress it a little bit to make it more manageable.

Downside here is that it is just shy of 300 MB.

Aha - nevermind all that. Here is a link to a link to download it.

http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=3614

It is in the first post of that thread.

cool...thanks... guess what tho.... nowhere in that manual does it refer to or show where the oil filter is... can you believe that?

(at least I couldn't find anything by either scanning or by doing a search)

EDIT: guess I downloaded a partial copy as it wasn't even 100 mb ... now downloading the 300 mb one.

cool...thanks... guess what tho.... nowhere in that manual does it refer to or show where the oil filter is... can you believe that?

(at least I couldn't find anything by either scanning or by doing a search)

EDIT: guess I downloaded a partial copy as it wasn't even 100 mb ... now downloading the 300 mb one.

HA, actually I would believe it. I have found a number of service manuals that show a close up of particular parts or whatever, but never really explain where that close up is taken.

Have fun!

My son had the vtx1800 and he said he thinks the 1300 was set up the same. The oil filter is in the back and hard to find and 2 drain plug one in front and one in back. He said to tell you that the filter is hard to get off with oil filter wrench and to get a K&N filter that has the hex on the back for a standard wrench makes it a whole lot easier.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B0009WG5T4/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=228013&s=hi]Amazon.com: Channellock 215 15-1/2-Inch Oil Filter and PVC Plier@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31B3WH0JQKL.@@AMEPARAM@@31B3WH0JQKL[/ame]

A set of these are quite handy for some of these hard to reach type locations. NOT for the $20 they want for them. I got a pair from wally-world for ~3.50 or something like that.

Use for take-off only, installations I always do by hand.

Change oil, check the air filter, fresh antifreeze (03 model) change plugs. fill up with high test gas and some sea foam, go run it about 1000 miles on the interstate around 80 mph and it will be ready to go.

ps check tires before ride.

Gregg

And the wife is saying - not another dang bike in the garage???? :rotf::rotf::rotf:

Well, seeing as it's not mine and won't be there forever.....

She did say that I needed a "project" when I got the trailer tho... (I wonder if she's tryin to tell me sumpin? LOL)