IGNORED

Everyone needs to read this

midnite

I called my local dealer yesterday to ask about a problem I'm having on the bike. When I get up to cruising speed is when it is most noticeable, 70 mph, set cruise it feels like it has a miss or is trying to flood. Thought it might be a plug not firing but all pipes are hot. The dealer told me they have been having alot of this happening. It stems from the ethanol enhanced gasoline we now have to use. The gas is eating up the gaskets and rubbers in the carbs.:doh: Will have to have carbs rebuilt 5000 miles. At least its under warranty:bang head:. Big brother sure knows how to stick to the people.The ethanol dries out rubber and cracks and comes apart screwing everything up. Asked him what can we do to prevent this from happening again, he said he wasn't sure, have to add something with lubricity every now and then might help.Just thought everyone might want to know.

I put just enough trans fluid in my small engine gas to change the color, I havn`t done it to the bike, but that gas really screwed up my new Cub Cadet rider, sure wish I had been using the trans fluid sooner, may have to try it in the bike also, but what a pain to try and take some with you, and if you use too much you foul the plugs :confused24:

Thanks for the post!

I had a SNAPPER rototiller that was the rototiller form h**L.

After the first couple of years I CONSTANTLY had to work on it to get it to start. I took it where I bought it and they replaced the carberator (my cost) ..

Ed stated the additives they put in gasoline will eat a carberator alive. He also sells Sthil products. Said the Sthil oil has fuel stabilizer added to it, but to be on the safe side, I should put fuel stabilizer in the gasoilne can before I add the oil and fill it with gas.

It starts every time now.

Perhaps it is having an impact on our carbs....

I called my local dealer yesterday to ask about a problem I'm having on the bike. When I get up to cruising speed is when it is most noticeable, 70 mph, set cruise it feels like it has a miss or is trying to flood. Thought it might be a plug not firing but all pipes are hot. The dealer told me they have been having alot of this happening. It stems from the ethanol enhanced gasoline we now have to use. The gas is eating up the gaskets and rubbers in the carbs.:doh: Will have to have carbs rebuilt 5000 miles. At least its under warranty:bang head:. Big brother sure knows how to stick to the people.The ethanol dries out rubber and cracks and comes apart screwing everything up. Asked him what can we do to prevent this from happening again, he said he wasn't sure, have to add something with lubricity every now and then might help.Just thought everyone might want to know.

Hmmmmmm? Midnite if this was 100% true and accurate this board would of been filled with "Dont buy this Bike because every 5,000 miles the carbs need to be rebuilt" Posts! Me thinks your dealer is grabbing at smoke and mirrors or smoking something funny :witch_brew:

I do hope you get this resolved and you don't have to bring the bike in every 5,000 miles. Good Luck keep us posted with the fix and mileage updates. :detective:

Just found this...

Marine Formula STA-BIL® for use at every fill up in your boat, jet ski, or snowmobile to protect against the damaging effects of Ethanol.

I checked it's MSDS and all it gave was the CAS# for the chemical ingredient. I finally found that the CAS# is for Mineral Spirits! But if it works, it works...

There always seems to be a lower cost alternative when it comes to chemicals.

SeaFoam is pretty much the same as Coleman camp fuel.

Instead of Lucas or other brand name products a lot of us diesel owners use TC-3W 2-stroke oil from Wally World to add lubricity to our injection systems since they stripped most of the Sulphur out of diesel fuel.

The sad part is that we have to add anything to our fuel to counteract the crap the Feds foist on us.

If the methanol is causing these problems, it has been in our gas since 1995, anything that uses gas built after that should be designed to handle it.

I know that there was a flurry of problems when the crap gas first hit the market, mostly because you have to richen up the mixture a little for the crap gas, but most everything since is designed to run on it.

I do notice that I have to tweak the needles on my chain saw depending on where I get the gas.

I have to admit, Mike, that this is the first I've heard about it as well. I agree that it sucks that you can't find ANY fuel that is not 10% as opposed to just a year or so ago . The obvious effect is that now you get 10% less fuel economy but the tree huggers are happier about emissions.

If you can find any more info on this keep us informed!

If it sat all winter and you did not use any fuel stabilizer... then maybe the carbs. But these bikes are nearly bullet-proof and I love the little maintenance it needs compared to other makes. :think:

I agree, what really happens with the "new" gas is it evaporates over the winter and leaves a varnish or some sort of hard film on the interior of the Carb bowls and coats the

jets with a film.

I have had the several different sets of Venture carbs apart and I did not see any rubber deteriorating in fact if anything is going on I believe the rubber parts are getting harder

as time goes on.

My 2 or 3 cents.

BOO

Oh crap!!! My bike has 98,000 miles on it and I've never rebuilt the carbs!!

105,858 miles here and carbs never been touched, (other then carb sync's) I know this cuz I have a very elaborate record book from previous owner who bought new. I gotta believe there pretty indestructable if you dont let the gas go bad as mentioned

I would like to first comment on the concept that 10% ethanol will deliver 10% lower mpg. I don't think this is true. 100% ethanol fuel is 10% less efficient and there is 10% of this stuff in blended gas. This means at best a 1% mpg loss.

My experience with blended ethanol fuel has been poor. Three of my motorcycles and my lawnmower have had carb problems from the stuff. My research suggests the ethanol turns "bad" in about a third of the time versus 100% gas. This means that leaving the stuff in your tank for a couple of months is a bad thing. For a time I used only 100% gas. Now I mix around 3 oz. of SeaFoam in every other fill-up. The SeaFoam seems to be an excellent gas treatment, and it cleans the carbs!

Something that can work on gummed up carbs is to remove the low-speed screws (count the turns first) and shoot carb cleaner into the low-speed circuit(s). This really helped my VR.

After reading further on this topic have discovered ethanol itself is corrosive. However, Ethanols ability to attract water like a spong seems to be more of the problem. You see water is even more corrosive than ethanol. Modern vehicles SHOULD have been modified to compensate for these corrosive effects along with different gas additives. Remember back in the day when I flew, that I ALWAYS filled up the plane before putting her to bed. If you didn't, and there was 10% gas 90% airspace and it was say 90 degrees, warm air holds a lot of moisture. Guess what happened to the moisture when it dropped to 55 degrees at night? You got it liquid water added to your gas, which isn't good for any motor, much less one that is keeping your ass in the air... LOL. Conclusion... I will carry some sta-bil along on a long distance ride, as it gets rid of water and unvarnishes carbs and fuel system.

A newer additive on the market is Startron by Starbrite.

It is similar to Stabil but engineered with Ethanol issues in mind.

My Yamaha dealer suggested it when I was having some problems.

You can find it at Walmart and other stores in the marine section,,, not auto.

FYI: http://mystarbrite.com/startron/

If you are going to use the gas, don't need it. But if the vehicle sits (IE Harley) then might look into it.

Problem,,,,,,,,,Crappy gas!

Solution,,,,,,,,NEUTRA!

Cost,,,,,,,,,,,,Less than Seafoam

Location,,,,,,,,,,A Schaeffer oil rep....

Renne............:backinmyday:

I had a card from a guy who was a rep. I think he's a member here. If I could only remember.:stickpoke:

Anywho, 65,000 miles on mine with no carb problems.:confused24: I usually look for 10% ethanol. But, it's never sat for more than 5 weeks either.:think: Bike seems to like it a little better, and I'd rather give a little to the local farmers than the fereners.:whistling:

Later, Scooter Bob

You got that right... ScooterBob, Sure would be nice to be able to say "no thanks we don't need your oil anymore".

It's not worth one drop of our young men and womens blood.

However no one is even remotely trying to get us off of this, even though, they have been damaging our economy since the early 70's and are about to drive us into an economical nightmare. Go figure...

:banana:

Oh, one other thought, Has anyone ever considered maybe Yamaha purposfully made our bikes run rich because they knew ethenol burns leaner and was being added? Just a thought...

• 1 month later...

Try Marvel Mystery fluid. You can get it at any auto or hardware store. My RSV ran rough when downshifting from 4th through 2nd. One or two ounces per tank and it runs clean. I've suggested it to other riders and they say the same thing.

This isn't the first time I've heard of the problem. But it's been with big outboard motors. A lot of dealers are getting hit with carb problems on 1 and 2 year old boats. Might be good info to kep on file.....