IGNORED

I think Modulator might have saved me today...

frogmaster

1st ride of the year.

2nd car of the year.

3rd mile of the year.

I pulled onto 2 Way Hwy M-115 and accelerating to 55 - 60-ish, the first car seen is just cresting the slight hill top, just then red sports car with top down and blondie talking on her cell phone as her hair whipping over her eyes too :yikes: starts to pull out to pass in my lane (I'm already in my far right lane) as soon as our eyes meet I know she now sees my Modulated Headlight and pulls back behind the car she wanted to pass at my expense :2132:

:buttkick:

Edited by frogmaster
spelling

• 4 weeks later...

Mine has saved me MANY times already. I see people stop and think twice before pulling out in front of me (right handers) or making that left turn and crossing in front. Best is on the highway as people move out of my way when I come up behind them...I guess they think I'm "the Man". :)

Whatever the case, I've noticed a huge difference since I started using the Biker Buddy.

Cya!

Mark

http://www.RideBellChain.com

SCRC #456 West Palm Beach

2008 Royal Star Venture

• 1 year later...

Newbie question. What does a headlight modulator do differently than just flicking your high-low beam switch a few times? Does it allow you more control of the bike because you're not worried about what you're thumb is doing, or more to it?

I don't think the modulator flickers between hi and low, it modulates the high making it pulse. I have read several articles where people claim that it actually increases the lift of your bulb. I have seen diy's on these and all you need to do to be legal is have a sensor on them as it is illegal to pulse at night.

I had a headlight modulator on my GS1100GK Suzuki, the bike I owned before getting my 1988 Venture Royale four years ago.

I hesitate to install a modulator on my VR for fear of it messing with the computerized system on it. If anyone has successfully installed -- and run -- a modulator on a 1st-generation Venture, please chime in.

Nick Diaz

Middletown, MD

I had a headlight modulator on my GS1100GK Suzuki, the bike I owned before getting my 1988 Venture Royale four years ago.

I hesitate to install a modulator on my VR for fear of it messing with the computerized system on it. If anyone has successfully installed -- and run -- a modulator on a 1st-generation Venture, please chime in.

Nick Diaz

Middletown, MD

Since a modulated headlight does not actually turn the headlight off during the low part of the cycle, it just reduces the power out put, I do not know if it would mess with the RLU (Reserve Lighting Unit) system or not, It would depend on what the amp draw was during the low part of the modulation cycle.

The other option is to disable the computer and RLU like we have to do when installing an HID system.

Nick Diaz

Middletown, MD

I ran one on my 1st gen for the last few years before I sold it...worked great! I moved it to my 2nd gen prior to the sale. Very simple install & no problems that I saw...JR

Nick Diaz

Middletown, MD

I have the Kisan Pathblazer on both the 83 & 86 VRs. Been running it a couple of years now.

Modulaters are something that's for sure - if anyone has any doubt, have one of them behind you on a 2 lane then for a few miles brag about how great they are.

RideBellChain - Best is on the highway as people move out of my way when I come up behind them...I guess they think I'm "the Man".

suppose that might feed the disrespect for bikes ?

Modulaters are something that's for sure - if anyone has any doubt, have one of them behind you on a 2 lane then for a few miles brag about how great they are.

RideBellChain - Best is on the highway as people move out of my way when I come up behind them...I guess they think I'm "the Man".

suppose that might feed the disrespect for bikes ?

In the past I had people actually pull to the side of the road thinking a police officer was behind them. (White RSTD with a white half helmet) I use mine when approaching an intersection or if a cage driver looks like he is going to do something stupid that may affect me. They do get people to see you.

In the past I had people actually pull to the side of the road thinking a police officer was behind them. (White RSTD with a white half helmet) I use mine when approaching an intersection or if a cage driver looks like he is going to do something stupid that may affect me. They do get people to see you.

I totally understand the visibility concept - what grates me is the ones that use them as a tool to intimadate cagers.

I've said it before and don't mind saying it again, I think they should be outlawed in all 50 states. Or better yet make everybody that has them ride for 10 minutes with another one behind with that da%$ thing blinking in their rear view mirror.

If someone is so afraid to ride depending on standard safety practices, then don't ride.

( flame suit on ) :smile5:

I totally understand the visibility concept - what grates me is the ones that use them as a tool to intimadate cagers.

I've said it before and don't mind saying it again, I think they should be outlawed in all 50 states. Or better yet make everybody that has them ride for 10 minutes with another one behind with that da%$ thing blinking in their rear view mirror.

If someone is so afraid to ride depending on standard safety practices, then don't ride.

( flame suit on ) :smile5:

Just like loud pipes... they should all be outlawed... I call BS. I will run modulators, loud pipes, wear hi-viz gear or any thing else that will help my chances of not getting killed by some unobservant jerk with phone in hand. If it happens to annoy some one, tuff. And the line about being afraid and standard safety practices is also BS. You don't take one single extra precautionary step in anything you do? You don't carry an extra key, extra reload, first aid kit, fix-a-flat, etc. I don't believe that for an instant. They are all the same as far as your frame of mind, be prepared.

You and I think a lot alike most of the time, but this time we are in different worlds. No offense intended. Just a difference of opinion.

:duck:

Just like loud pipes... they should all be outlawed... I call BS. I will run modulators, loud pipes, wear hi-viz gear or any thing else that will help my chances of not getting killed by some unobservant jerk with phone in hand. If it happens to annoy some one, tuff. And the line about being afraid and standard safety practices is also BS. You don't take one single extra precautionary step in anything you do? You don't carry an extra key, extra reload, first aid kit, fix-a-flat, etc. I don't believe that for an instant. They are all the same as far as your frame of mind, be prepared.

You and I think a lot alike most of the time, but this time we are in different worlds. No offense intended. Just a difference of opinion.

:duck:

Owen - no offense taken, I totally agree that everyone has an opinion. Perhaps I'm too old school - for as long as I can remember, a flashing headlight allows the oncoming traffic the right of way. It's a courtesy of the road usually intended or trucks (semi's) that would allow traffic to maintain some sort of continuity in congested areas.

I will always invite anyone that uses a modulater to ride in front of one for 10 minutes (or longer) just to test their patience. If it doesn't become distractive then you're not as observant as a bike rider needs to be. Try it some day -

and on top of that - accidents happen, regardless of how 'safe' we may think we are.

I am really only concerned with oncoming traffic with my pulsing light,So when I get behind someone for a long time I will just go to low beem and cut it off. Then when I get back into traffic oncoming I turn it back on. It is optional and a person can be courtious about it. I have run one for 5 years on a 2nd gen.

I am really only concerned with oncoming traffic with my pulsing light,So when I get behind someone for a long time I will just go to low beem and cut it off. Then when I get back into traffic oncoming I turn it back on. It is optional and a person can be courtious about it. I have run one for 5 years on a 2nd gen.

That's all I'm talking about - courtesy