IGNORED

Roadliner front wheel upgrade

remmertb

I just put a Roadliner/Stratoliner 18" front wheel on my Venture. It looks awesome, and the low profile radial tire handles like a dream- rock solid and glued to the road. Handling response is much quicker. The rotors are also an upgrade, because they are full floaters. It is a perfect match, same size rotors and axle, bolted right up, din't have to change anything. I got the wheel tire and rotors off of ebay for $240 plus $50 shipping.

Tire size is 130/70/18. I measured the distance between the rotors on a bike at a dealership to make sure it would fit. The specs for the roadliner and the venture rotors is the same on starmotorcycles.com. I compared outer diameter for the tires on some other website I found and determined it would work. I just crossed my fingers that the axle was the same. If it wasn't, I was just going to get weel bearings that would work.

Tire size is 130/70/18. I measured the distance between the rotors on a bike at a dealership to make sure it would fit. The specs for the roadliner and the venture rotors is the same on starmotorcycles.com. I compared outer diameter for the tires on some other website I found and determined it would work. I just crossed my fingers that the axle was the same. If it wasn't, I was just going to get weel bearings that would work.

Well thanks a lot!! Now I have to start watching the ebay auctions. She's gonna shoot me....:Bunny2::(

• 1 year later...

Your bike looks great! I will be searching the net for the wheel. I have been looking at custome wheels this is by far much cheaper and definitly easier to do. Hope I can find one before the end of the summer.:thumbsup2:

• 1 year later...

I almost did the same to my venture but I ordered 21x3.5 utima king spoke with 120/70/21 vee rubber white wall. Going for bagger look . Ordered the flip flop shortie windshield from baggershield added the fishtail exhaust on it!!:mo money::cool18:

I just put a Roadliner/Stratoliner 18" front wheel on my Venture. It looks awesome, and the low profile radial tire handles like a dream- rock solid and glued to the road. Handling response is much quicker.

So, does that mean you are using a Radial tire in the front, and a Bias Belt tire on the rear ?????????????:confused24:

Personally, I too have looked into this combo of wheels, using a Stratoliner 18" wheel on the front, and I even ordered one, but...I would not use a radial on the front, and a bial belt on the rear.

:backinmyday:

I know that most folks will tell you not to mix a bias with a radial and I used to agree. Now I'm not completely sure that it's such a big deal. Yamaha actually came out with a bike a couple of years ago that came from the factory with a bias on the rear and a radial on the front. I will have to do some searching but I THINK it was the Raider.

• 1 month later...
So, does that mean you are using a Radial tire in the front, and a Bias Belt tire on the rear ?????????????:confused24:

Personally, I too have looked into this combo of wheels, using a Stratoliner 18" wheel on the front, and I even ordered one, but...I would not use a radial on the front, and a bial belt on the rear.

:backinmyday:

A little late to the party with this now that your selling the RSTD and not pursuing putting radials on it but FWIW I ran my Stratoliner wheel with the OE Bridgestone radial on the front that came on the wheel when I bought it and the original style Michelin Commander on the rear of my bike for a good 2500 miles until the Michelin was done. Handled great, no squirrelyness, no issues. 1100 miles of that was on Roads in NH and Maine.

After the Michelin was done, replaced with Avon Venom (Bias) front and rear so I would have a matched set, not mixed brands , etc. Still good overall but actually prefer the way the bike felt with the radial on the front.

Looks wise, the polished wheel Stratoliner/Roadliner S wheel on the Midnight RSTD is tough to beat. Floating Rotors that came on it are a plus and will make complete the future brake caliper upgrade.

SO do you notice a difference in handleing? Sort of like with the 130/90 tire combo, being you went with more diameter and a little narrower tire??

Although not directed at me, I did this and Yes it makes a difference in the handling. I used the radial for a while with a bias rear and then switched to matching Avons. In a 130 70 18, the radial has a flatter profile than the bias so to me it feels more planted with the radial. The bias makes it feel more tippy but still controllable. I won't be putting my OEM 16" wheel back on. Pics in Album in my profile compares the RSTD/Venture wheel to the Strat/Roadliner wheel. You live close enough, If you want to meet some time and try it let me know.

have to admit it really does look good. i wonder if it will fit a first gen?

No. Not with out also using the 2nd gen triple clamps and forks. See Dingys Hybrid Bike thread. He had to use First Gen forks and triple clamps to use a first gen front wheel on the 2nd Gen frame Hybrid bike he's building so I guess the reverse is true.

Here it is $100 on ebay. Today is Friday 4/19/2013 ( for future readers)

I emailed the guy and he confirmed the size is the same as sited above

[ame=http://www.ebay.com/itm/151029028681?item=151029028681&frommaketrack=true&viewitem=&vxp=mtr]Yamaha Roadliner Stratoliner Front Rim with Tire | eBay[/ame]

no bidders at $100.

Only 1 day left. $60 shipping unless you live in So Cal and can pick it up.

I almost pulled the trigger but decided on the leveling links instead.

He said the collar is missing - I looked that up on bikebandit - it is a $20 part.

VentureFar...

Anyone going to put their money ( and not much money) where their mouth is and jump on this one?