IGNORED

How do I get brake pistons out of caliper?

jonsmyth

This is my first brake rebuild on this, my 87 model. I was getting leakage on the front wheel. and resulting loss of brake "pedal".

When I took the caliper off the bike, I couldn't tell which of the four pistons was leaking.

Now I realize I only have one set- not two, which is what i need to do both sides.

I'm pretty sure the one closest to the banjo bolt was the culprit- I'll do the "outer" side. I guess it could have been the banjo bolt.

I was going to pull the pistons. But how do you get them out without damaging them? Do I need a special tool? I thought this would be EZ. With a 14mm bolt stuck in the banjo bolt hole (inlet) I compressed one side with pliers but boy do they seem tight!

Any advice? :think:

Guest human4m
This is my first brake rebuild on this, my 87 model. I was getting leakage on the front wheel. and resulting loss of brake "pedal".

When I took the caliper off the bike, I couldn't tell which of the four pistons was leaking.

Now I realize I only have one set- not two, which is what i need to do both sides.

I'm pretty sure the one closest to the banjo bolt was the culprit- I'll do the "outer" side. I guess it could have been the banjo bolt.

I was going to pull the pistons. But how do you get them out without damaging them? Do I need a special tool? I thought this would be EZ. With a 14mm bolt stuck in the banjo bolt hole (inlet) I compressed one side with pliers but boy do they seem tight!

Any advice? :think:

This isn't Venture-Specific, but it's pretty much the way I've always gotten pistons out of every caliper I've rebuilt.

http://www.hvccycle.com/Stuck%20Piston.htm

I know this is a little late but I have successfully used a grease fitting in brake calipers and pumped the stuck pistons out using a grease gun. Will work in a pinch... use

C-clamps or welding vise grips to hold unfrozen pistons in. Only downside is cleaning up grease but that dissolves rather quickly using gasoline or keroscene.

I know this is a little late but I have successfully used a grease fitting in brake calipers and pumped the stuck pistons out using a grease gun. Will work in a pinch... use

C-clamps or welding vise grips to hold unfrozen pistons in. Only downside is cleaning up grease but that dissolves rather quickly using gasoline or keroscene.

or brake clean. thats the way i do it also and because grease does not compress like air the risk of a flying missle is reduced

• 5 years later...

This link isn't working for me. I've done single piston calipers before but with these dual piston calipers I was wondering if the caliper needs to be split in half// Earls ad isn't opening for me either..

This isn't Venture-Specific, but it's pretty much the way I've always gotten pistons out of every caliper I've rebuilt.

http://www.hvccycle.com/Stuck%20Piston.htm

whoops, just read the manual/ god damm wealth of information in there is one takes the time to actually read. But it says to replace the piston, piston seal, and the dust boot as an assembly. what! Well I see on ebay kits with the seals for $23-30 PER CALIPER. Is that the best I'm doing and is there a good brand to use? (Brake crafter or K&L on ebay). Oh, and from Yamaha it's $40/caliper..

Use the Yamaha dealer as a last resort. If the caliper and piston are in good condition I see no reason not to re-use them. I re-used mine on all my bikes unless (of course) they were FUBAR. K & L is a long standing and trusted name. Brake Crafter is unknown to me but that doesn't mean they aren't any good.