IGNORED

Help - Gas nipple came out of Petcock

Globewalker

While removing my tank..

The gas hose to the petcock was very stubborn - stuck on the nipple good..

After much work I finally got it to start twisting so I could try to slide it off the nipple..

Well it was the actual brass nipple that was turning and came right out of the petcock!

Can this be shoved back in and it won't leak or do I now need a new petcock?

Anyone have this problem before?

I finally managed to get it out of the end of the hose..

not sure if tapping it back in the petcock.. maybe a little JB Weld would work?

Thanks

I haven't encountered this but if it were me, I'd go the JB Weld route. I'd guess it's a "press-fit" anyway so the JB Weld would just ensure it stayed in there.

Yea.. I just did a thin coating of JB Weld and tapped it in.. We'll see how it holds tomorrow.

It should since not any pressure coming out.

From my experience...........make sure you give the JB Weld PLENTY of cure time for use around gasoline. I've done a few repairs to petcocks and fuel line fittings with JB and the only ones that never gave me another problem were the ones that cured for more that 48 hours.

As for the JB Weld Quik Set.......not even worth the effort. No luck at all.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike

mine did the same, about a year ago, put alittle white thread sealer on it and tapped it back in no issues to date..

:sign yeah that: same thing here, I din't even put any sealant on it just tapped it back in. The metal is soft enough that it swedges itself back in for a seal.

BTW you gonna be able to make it to Waller for Kbays maintenance day Keith?

Thanks everyone, gives me more confidence this will hold and not leak.

I wish Squidley... but been planning a ride towards Austin with some friends for awhile for this weekend..

Hope to catch the next one!

It's all good Keith, we'll keep having them and you'll be able to make one of them

:thumbsup2: Once Lonna and I get into our new place in Conroe we'll get a BBQ going on there before too long :)

This info. is really good to know. I'm not sure if I really have to put some lubricant just on the tip of the hose and brass outer area to keep the hose from binding in the long run. If this idea is ok, I may go ahead and apply some white lithium grease or similar to it.

This info. is really good to know. I'm not sure if I really have to put some lubricant just on the tip of the hose and brass outer area to keep the hose from binding in the long run. If this idea is ok, I may go ahead and apply some white lithium grease or similar to it.

I would use silicone spray.

• 4 years later...

I had it happen to me. I just gave it a slight squeze on the end to make it oblong by end. Not enough to distort it the length, just enough to make friction. Then I put some red lock tight on it and tapped it back in. No leaks.