IGNORED

Whitewall on the Darkside!!!

Guest human4m

Guest human4m

I've been talking with Dave, over at Wide Whitewall Tires (Hobbycar.com) and he said he can have a run of WHITEWALL car tires specially made for the VR Darksider Members interested! They will be whitewall on BOTH sides, and they WILL be car tires in a 165-80-15 or 155-80-15.

He asked me to get an idea of how many people might be interested, and he will get back to me on pricing info. SO- If it's something you're interested in, let me know. Either reply to the post or PM me. If you have any questions you'd like me to ask him, feel free, and I'll email him on Monday with the list of questions gathered!

So far, one of the questions I plan on asking him, since they are manufacturing the tire, is can they put the VR logo, or the mottoe somewhere on the tire.. That'd be sweet... Maybe overkill, but who cares?!

Guest human4m

He said they're likely to run in the $150 range... I'm not sure what you DS's are paying for your C/T's currently, so maybe it's a moot point?

Guest human4m

Monday I will be getting back in touch with him, he is just waiting to hear from me about how many members would be interested in ordering them. I would also need an idea of which size the general consensus would want.

I realize you that you don’t have a set price yet but $150 would be a fairly good deal.

I'd like to give another try with the Kumho but first I want to find a way to reduce the install pressure. Currently I have a spare rim and am looking into having it modified but I want to do so without affecting any tolerances. Me thinks “Nothing ‘Ventured’ nothing gained” ... doing it in WW's is doing it in style!

Guest human4m

Here's what Dave told me today...

The tire would/could be:

Firestone

Hankook

Federal

Michelin

If you could throw out some of the dimensions the owners would want, I could then take it up with the vendor and see what possibilities there are. Also, please verify the whitewall width you would require. I will then investigate it more.

Thanks, Dave

So it's up to you guys now. Tell me what size, and what width of whitewall you want, as well as the PREFERRED brand, but he can't guarantee which one(s) it would be.

we are limited as to what size tires will fit the rsv rim, those 2 sizes are:

155-80-15 or a 165-80-15.

now the c/t manufactors are:

b.f.goodrich radial t/a

kumno power star 758 165-80-15

nexum

vernerstien makes one as does mickey tompson but these 2 tires are about $165.00 each.

the bfg cost me $45.00 and the kumno about the same. their maybe a few others but i can't find all my notes right now. thanks for the info.

hope this helps

don c.

Here's what Dave told me today...

The tire would/could be:

Firestone

Hankook

Federal

Michelin

Of these four brands he mentioned, the only one who makes a tire in a size that will fit is Federal in a 165/80R15. DBTires put 2 1/4" WWs on the one I had them do. It's what you're looking at in my sig pic here.

Guest human4m

You guys kinda missed my point. Dave is in cahoots with those manufacturers, and can possibly have a limited run of WW`s made, just for the VR members. I`m just trying to find out what the majority preference is of mfr. and size of WW.

Guest human4m

That's actually what he does. He's basically a liason who get's different sizes manufactured based on demand. Normaly it's for classic cars, but he said he's interested in doing it for the motorcycles.

I am still interested the size would be whatever is recommended by the people who have been running CT on RSV.

The WW on my bike now is 1 3/4" which I think is standard for RSV tires.

I have not run a CT on my RVS yet but was planing on it once I wear out my present tire,and/or I find a spare rear rim to mount it on.

I personally would prefer a BFG, Michelin or Firestone.:mo money:

I feel that if the CT was avaible with WW on both sides that there would be a market for them.

I think the type/strength of the sidewall and tread pattern would weigh heavily on the choice of tire. If you're saying that we could have a custom tire with extra strong sidewall and semi-wrap-around tread then that would be ideal, and would negate much of the criticism of the darkside tires.

That's actually what he does. He's basically a liason who get's different sizes manufactured based on demand. Normaly it's for classic cars, but he said he's interested in doing it for the motorcycles.

If he can actually get a manufacturer to make a size they don't currently make, then I guess you're right, I didn't pick that up before. A 165/80R15 CT is the size that fits and matches the width and circumference of the stock size MT almost exactly. My current tire has 2 1/4" WWs and they're a nice size. I don't have a brand preference, but a US made name brand would be nice instead of the foreign made ones of questionable quality currently available.

Guest human4m

I emailed him today:

"Okay, here’s what the majority rule seems to be…

For tire dimensions:

155-80-15 or a 165-80-15. The 165-80 seems to be the more popular, since it's closest to the stock size.

Whitewall Width: Min:1.75” Max:2.25”

The Members are hoping for an extra strong sidewall and semi-wrap-around tread. The only universal complaint (as far as I know) about using the car tires is the mounting pressure to seat the bead has been over 100psi at times, which we all fear lowers the integrity of the tire."

I should hear from him tomorrow.

The 155/80R15 CT is quite a bit shorter tire than the stock MT size. That size comes up because it is the first size that was tried on this bike. But it was realized soon after that a 165 is a better match. If we have a choice in size, use the 165 and not the 155.

• 4 months later...