IGNORED

Greasing Swing Arm bearings?

George,

I sent you an email with the only information I had on removing the swing arm.

Sorry I don't live closer, or I would help you so I could learn about it too.....

:080402gudl_prv:

Well, here are a couple of pics, so where do I drill to put the grease zert?

Well, here are a couple of pics, so where do I drill to put the grease zert?

Ref: 3rd pic...

Somewhere in the very "CENTER" of that aluminum housing, preferably on the "BOTTOM" side, so that you can always get to the zerk fitting from underneath the bike in the future, and never have to remove it again..(and you have another email saying same).

never mind... it wont work due to drive shaft hole....

Edited by Eck

Got the swing arm off and bearings greased, hardly any grease on them.

Getting that rubber boot back on over the U-joint area of the swing arm was not easy.

For those that think about doing this, here is a what I did, but some others may have done this differently.

1. Need a jack.

2. Follow the write up for taking the rear wheel off.

3. Take the battery covers off (both sides), just easier to get to and see things.

4. Take off both exhaust (Y pipes only), there are the two bolts at the rear exhaust heads and loosen the bolt (underneath the exhaust pipes that) that connects to the forward exhaust pipes.

5. Remove the passenger floorboards.

6. Pop off the chrome looking cover that was behind the exhaust pipes, this cover hides the bolts that you need to loosen for the swing arm, but do not loosen bolts yet.

7. The rear brake line is attached at three places on the swing arm, remove the two retaining brackets from the swing arm and the third one is a pain but you can pop the hose out of this, you will need a flash light to see this one but follow the brake line to see it.

8. There is another small hose that drops down through the swing arm bracket to the AIS, just remove at the AIS.

9. The speed dometer cable is attached to the swing arm at 3 places, just slide off each hook.

10. Remove the hub and drive shaft. There are 4 acorn nuts that are used to bolt the hub to the swing arm, just remove the nuts, grab hold of the hub and slide the drive shaft out.

11. Remove the shock, there are 4 bolts and two hoses. Remove the bottom 3 bolts and loosen the top bolt but leave in for now.

12. The one hose is a vent hose that runs up along the right side of the battery, there is a clip that holds the hose in place by the battery, just open the clip, pretty easy.

13. The second hose is the hose used to pump up with air, pop the rubber piece out of the way, there is a nut under that rubber piece, take nut off.

14. You should have had all bolts off except for top bolt (see #7), now hold the shock in one hand pull the top bolt out, shock will now drop out.

15. At this point, the only thing holding the swing arm, are the two bolts, one on each side where the chrome caps were removed (see #6). The bolt on the left and the nut on the right are 22 mm in size. You will need a hex for the right side one after the nut is removed.

16. Now, my swing arm did not drop the ground, just kind of laid up there, now be sure your bike is strapped to the jack. I got under the rear fender, grabbed the swing arm and just worked it out.

17. To get to the bearings, I used a screw driver to pop out the seals, I did not damaged them, the are part rubber and metal.

18. These are tapered bearings, no problem taking them out, these are not pressed in. Cleaned them with carb cleaner or brake cleaner, let dry before repacking with grease.

19. Now put everything back together in reverser order.

When putting the swing arm back in, I had Mechanic help me with putting the two bolts back in (see#15). The boot that covers the U-joint area is tricky but Mechanic :bighug: came up with this idea while I was underneath cursing, muttering to myself about that boot.

a. First put the shock back in place, helps the swing arm stay in place when working the boot back in place.

b. From the left side of the bike, you can actually rotate the boot with your hand while working the boot back over the lip on the swing arm.

Any questions, please don't ask. :080402gudl_prv:

I see you have a 08 venture as do I, not to be a smart a$$ but why didnt you take it to a dealer and let them do it? its still under wrty

Lubing anything is just like oil changes. Considered standard maintenance and not covered under the warranty.

RR

I see you have a 08 venture as do I, not to be a smart a$$ but why didnt you take it to a dealer and let them do it? its still under wrty

Like someone posted, greasing is not covered under warranty and I have 38,000 on the bike, so since I was putting on new tires, decided to grease the swing arm bearings.

But if these are sealed bearings would lubricating them still be considered 'standard maintenanca... me thinks not??? :confused24:

Take a look at your owner's manual, supposed to be repacked every 16000 miles and I had not done mine at all with about 38000 miles on the bike. These are tapered bearings with a seal that pops out. These bearings had very little grease, glad I did this job.

• 9 months later...
Take a look at your owner's manual, supposed to be repacked every 16000 miles and I had not done mine at all with about 38000 miles on the bike. These are tapered bearings with a seal that pops out. These bearings had very little grease, glad I did this job.

Gee with 25,000 miles on my bike, when the weather gets better, I need to bring it up there so you can demonstrate how it's done... :Laugh:

Yeah Same here.. I have the bike up on jacks still after doing the rear shock install.. Never thought of doing the swing arm.. "dang".. now would be the time to do it. huh?

C'mon, fess up guys.. what's the process for us newbies who never done it before.. we promise not to pester too much more after that..

I'm sure if you send them some of those pictures you sent me you'll get positive responses!!

OH.. LOL.. well tell ya WHAT, if someone wants to do this task for me, I'll get ya some hum dinger photos with your OWN bike ;) I know models all over this continent, it wouldn't be too hard to set up next time I come to visit your town hehe..

I just had a look at what was involved in doing this job.. "ouch" is the word.. My 2006 has around 80,000 miles on it.. I bought it from a gent who bought it from another gent who neither prolly did any service to the bike.. so I'm guessing this bearing isn't looking too pretty..

Just like the neck bearings, if I'm going through all this trouble of removing everything so I can 'repack' old bearings, I might as well put brand new ones in!!

can the swing arm be checked with the wheel on the bike or does it have to come off? I have to keep the bike in rolling condition for now so it can be taken to a shop to have the neck bearings 'redone'..