IGNORED

Inexpensive rear shock

I just had a shock built by Klaus Heuencke at www.epmperformance.com for my 2nd gen RSV. Ride quality is excellent, and shock construction is excellent. It is a YSS brand, but is custom built by Klaus in New Jersey. The cost of the shock is $499, which is far less than anything else I could find (including stock). The shock is also about 2-3lbs lighter than the stock shock, and performance is far superior to stock. I'll post a pic of it tonight. You can email Klaus at info@epmperf.com . The shock is adjustable, specs are: Pre-Load Adjustment, Rebound Adjustment 60 Clicks — 50 mm 50 Micron Steel Bore and Radial Sinter Piston — 16 mm Hardened Shaft — Low Friction, Long Life Seal Block — Bearing, Bushes and Fork Fittings to suit each Model — Dampening and Springrates Model specific, and is rebuildable.C:\Users\remmerts\Desktop\shock

Edited by remmertb
new info

I am getting ready to order a new rear shock this week, and looking for my options for the best shock availuable. So far I'm looking at the Work Performance Products (Works Shocks) for about $600.00. Keep the info coming.... :thumbsup2:

I looked it up on their site (using a 2000 Venture) and it shows $503.58. Where do you see it for $426?

Joe

Joe:

in 2003 or 2004 Yamaha added a vent hose to the shock. So if you look up a later model year, the shock still fits and they are cheaper.

I am getting ready to order a new rear shock this week, and looking for my options for the best shock availuable. So far I'm looking at the Work Performance Products (Works Shocks) for about $600.00. Keep the info coming.... :thumbsup2:

Before paying all that why not check out pinwall cycles. They part out completely new bikes sometimes and you could have a shock for less.see here http://stores.ebay.com/PinWall-Cycle-Parts-Inc_Yamaha-Venture-Royal-Star_W0QQ_fsubZ5820835QQ_sidZ12458664?_nkw=shock Its a shock off a 99 but still a bargain at $149. You can also contact them and ask for notification when a newer model is parted out. I have seen the part out a 2009 already.

just a thought,

James

I looked it up on their site (using a 2000 Venture) and it shows $503.58. Where do you see it for $426?

Joe

I just used a 2005 model year. I figure they are all the same but for some reason different years have different prices.

Here's a pic of the YSS shock from epm performance. Why spend $500 bucks on a stock shock that can't be rebuilt and doesn't perform as well? This is right on par with Works and Ohlins, but for less $. Shock with resorvoir is available for $685, but not necessary.

Guest tx2sturgis
Here's a pic of the YSS shock from epm performance.

Thats a good looking piece there, but i would have to wonder about road crud that gets on the exposed piston shaft, and that can cause problems with the seal. On normal twin shocks, that are mounted up out of harms way, its not a problem. I wonder if they can make that shock with a rubber boot?

:think:

The reason I asked for a pic, is I stopped in up at Pitbull today, and they had two of these hanging on the wall for $100 each. They sell a lot of good, used parts. I know some people here like to do some modifying and such, so I snapped a pic of one. I am sure I could get them cheaper if someone was interested. I didn't take any measurements or anything, just a pic. I take it they're probably off of a Harley.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i274/13thAFMonterey/0317101646a.jpg

Here's a pic of the YSS shock from epm performance. Why spend $500 bucks on a stock shock that can't be rebuilt and doesn't perform as well? This is right on par with Works and Ohlins, but for less $. Shock with resorvoir is available for $685, but not necessary.

What was the price and where did you find it at?

Guest tx2sturgis
The reason I asked for a pic, is I stopped in up at Pitbull today, and they had two of these hanging on the wall for $100 each. They sell a lot of good, used parts. I know some people here like to do some modifying and such, so I snapped a pic of one. I am sure I could get them cheaper if someone was interested. I didn't take any measurements or anything, just a pic. I take it they're probably off of a Harley.

Those look like they might be off a custom softail frame...maybe...and if so, they are pull-type shocks, designed to have the weight of the bike applied as a pull on the shaft, not a push like a normal shock. I could be wrong tho, they dont really look like stock shocks...the mounts arent quite right...hard to tell with the blurriness. They look more 'automotive' to me than they do motorcycle type.

That YSS Shock is a good looking shock. I have a Works Shock that I bought off eBay from Works. It was a demo shock that was returned. They rebuilt it and sold it. It has an 1100lb spring. I like it alot.

Brian, I would be to worried about getting crud on the exposed shaft. Most automotive shocks have exposed shafts and last just fine. The Works shock has an exposed shaft. As long as there is a quality wiper seal, there should be no problems. If I remember correctly, the shock is mounted so the shaft is on the bottom so most crud would slide off the shaft.

• 4 weeks later...
I just had a shock built by Klaus Heuencke at www.epmperformance.com for my 2nd gen RSV. Ride quality is excellent, and shock construction is excellent. It is a YSS brand, but is custom built by Klaus in New Jersey. The cost of the shock is $499, which is far less than anything else I could find (including stock). The shock is also about 2-3lbs lighter than the stock shock, and performance is far superior to stock. I'll post a pic of it tonight. You can email Klaus at info@epmperf.com . The shock is adjustable, specs are: Pre-Load Adjustment, Rebound Adjustment 60 Clicks — 50 mm 50 Micron Steel Bore and Radial Sinter Piston — 16 mm Hardened Shaft — Low Friction, Long Life Seal Block — Bearing, Bushes and Fork Fittings to suit each Model — Dampening and Springrates Model specific, and is rebuildable.C:%5CUsers%5Cremmerts%5CDesktop%5Cshock

So - a few questions for you.

1) Have you gotten the shock yet?

2) If so, are you happy with it?

3) How long did it take to get?

Thanks for posting!! :thumbsup2:

Even though it is about $33 dollars more than the stock shock I have found if it is a much superior shock I don't mind the difference even though $500 for a shock is insane. I am interested if and when I need a shock. My biggest concerns are,

1) is the shock rebuildable and if so how much to rebuild and

2) what kind of warranty does it have?

Thanks

Harry

Even though it is about $33 dollars more than the stock shock I have found if it is a much superior shock I don't mind the difference even though $500 for a shock is insane. I am interested if and when I need a shock. My biggest concerns are,

1) is the shock rebuildable and if so how much to rebuild and

2) what kind of warranty does it have?

Thanks

Harry

Right on. I'll happily pay an 8% increase if it means that if/when it does fail again it won't be another ~460 to replace it.

According to the EPM website (http://www.epmperformance.com/motorcycle-shock-rebuild.htm) a rebuild is $95 to $125 depending on model + parts. At a minimum parts will be new seals for which they do not mention a price.

So even if you can get it rebuilt for $200 when it is all said and dome, that is still a lot cheaper than buying new ones.

I do not need to be able to make easy adjustments to the shock since my loading is almost always the same.

According to the EPM website (http://www.epmperformance.com/motorcycle-shock-rebuild.htm) a rebuild is $95 to $125 depending on model + parts. At a minimum parts will be new seals for which they do not mention a price.

So even if you can get it rebuilt for $200 when it is all said and dome, that is still a lot cheaper than buying new ones.

I do not need to be able to make easy adjustments to the shock since my loading is almost always the same.

Now were talking serious savings. :thumbsup2:

• 3 months later...
Guest fawcetda

Hello Everyone. I am out of warranty on my 2004 RSV and I just had another rear shock failure.

I had 2 rear shock failures during my warranty period but now I am flying on my own, without warranty, and I am looking for a shock that is not going to fail again!

From what I am reading on venturerider.org it looks like the Works shock or the EPM Performance Imports shock are 2 alternatives.

My sense is that all RSV riders will encounter this problem at some point and I would very much like to hear from riders who have made investments in rear mono shocks other than Yamaha !

Thank you

:fishin:

I am posting to this thread so I can find it again in the future. I have 130,500 miles on my 02 RSMV without any failures of any kind. I feel lucky. One of these days the mono shock will fail, not because of bad parts but from so much use. I will need this thread to decide on a replacement.:mo money:

Thanks to all for this information.

:farmer: