IGNORED

A different request

Squidley

Hey Folks,

I have a perhaps odd question to ask all of our members here. Lonna and I just signed a renters agreement on a doublewide MH with a 2 car garage...Yay for us :banana:

It's all furnished with washer/dryer, stove, fridge yada yada yada. We now need to get some items for the house as we left quite a few things with Lonnas sister back at our old home in Michigan. The 1 thing we really need is going to be a good set of culinary knives. I'm not talking about the stuff you buy at Walmarts, this will be the last set of knives we buy.

I'm no chef, but I do know there are good knive companies out there like Henckel and such. These are professional knives and that is what we are looking for. We have a great many members here with varied back grounds. What I would like is if you folks that are in the know or are culinary professionals (or anybody for that fact) could suggest a set of good quality knives that will last our lifetime. Price is somewhat of an issue, but I dont mind paying for quality and I'm thinking somewhere in the $300 or less price range.

Do appreciate all you help with this one :happy34:

Hey Folks,

I have a perhaps odd question to ask all of our members here. Lonna and I just signed a renters agreement on a doublewide MH with a 2 car garage...Yay for us :banana:

It's all furnished with washer/dryer, stove, fridge yada yada yada. We now need to get some items for the house as we left quite a few things with Lonnas sister back at our old home in Michigan. The 1 thing we really need is going to be a good set of culinary knives. I'm not talking about the stuff you buy at Walmarts, this will be the last set of knives we buy.

I'm no chef, but I do know there are good knive companies out there like Henckel and such. These are professional knives and that is what we are looking for. We have a great many members here with varied back grounds. What I would like is if you folks that are in the know or are culinary professionals (or anybody for that fact) could suggest a set of good quality knives that will last our lifetime. Price is somewhat of an issue, but I dont mind paying for quality and I'm thinking somewhere in the $300 or less price range.

Do appreciate all you help with this one :happy34:

Squidly,

I am not a professional chef, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night ....

A basic Wustoff set is a great starter for a high end set. Get the 3.5 inch paring, 6" chef, and 8" chef knives along with either a sharpening steel or the Wustoff hand held sharpener. The advantage of the sharpener is it has the required 20 degree bevel built in. Using a steel takes some training.

You and Lonna can then spend the next year or so giving each other additions to the set for birthdays, fathers/mothers day, anniversary, Christmas, etc. After a year, you would have a set that will be fought over at your funeral.

Henckel is a very good brand also. Both brands are available at Williams Sonoma store. I might suggest this be an item to buy in person vs. over the internet. The feel and balance of the knife, if it to be the last set of knives you buy, is important.

RR

MAC is also coming along as a good knife according to some reports. The biggest thing I saw reading some reviews was that a knife is a personal thing and one should test drive one to see if it feels right in your hand.

I googled this stuff to see whats out there.....its mind boggling...and my mind cant keep up!

OK Squid, you plan on having a high end restaurant sometime???

Henkels are a great quality knife. That being said I got a knife set from that Ronco Showtime knife commercial about 6 years ago and they are doing quite well.

Heres the link. Cant beat them for the price...:smile5:

http://roncocutlery.com/?linkId=2349&source=yahoo&OVRAW=ronco%20showtime%20knives&OVKEY=showtime%20knife&OVMTC=advanced&OVADID=52077684011&OVKWID=330163542011&OVCAMPGID=12226000511&OVADGRPID=20825047899&OVNDID=ND1

In my opinion, the Henckel brand is the brand that you will be happiest with for the long term. You have to check out the different styles that they offer. They offer the professional handles as well as the ergonomically engineered handles. Both are great, but you will need to decide which fits better in your hands.

But the key is.....whatever brand of knife that you buy, make sure that you purchase the sharpener that is made by the same brand. You can really screw up a knife buy using the wrong sharpener.

We have and extended set of "Cutco" knives. Been very happy with the quality, service and warranty. Free sharpening for life. A bit pricey but you can start with a few and add on over time. Ergonomic, diswasher safe and feel good in your hand. Just try to survive the learning curve..... lots of knicked fingers and some close calls.. very very very sharp. Goos luck :thumbsup2:

Henkels are a great quality knife,and the are gauranteed for life. But they also now make an economy line so beware of which ones you are buying. My son used to sell cutco knives so we also have a few of them, and they to are great knives. Finally Lee valley sells a carbon steel chefs knife that really holds a razor's edge. These however do need to be thourghly dried before you put them away.

I have spent money on knives in the past and believe it was a waste. I have found that a fishing filet knife from Walmart and some off the shelf sets work great as long as you keep them sharp. Best knife I have my dad made from a industrial saw blade. The ability to sharpen the knife is the key IMHO. None of those stay sharp pieces of crap.

OK.....I have chcked over some knife sets, and the question I have about Henckels is why so much of a price difference for the same piece set, with a different name? The price for one is 149.00 and the other is 499.00.....what is the differance....is it the steel, or the balance, or the workmanship?

I have found a set of Calphalon knives I like, and I'm surprized no one mentioned these or Wusthof:confused24: Thanks for the input, and keep it up! I want to hear more!!

OK.....I have chcked over some knife sets, and the question I have about Henckels is why so much of a price difference for the same piece set, with a different name? The price for one is 149.00 and the other is 499.00.....what is the differance....is it the steel, or the balance, or the workmanship?

I have found a set of Calphalon knives I like, and I'm surprized no one mentioned these or Wusthof:confused24: Thanks for the input, and keep it up! I want to hear more!!

Lonna, I mentioned Wustof (just misspelled it) in the second post. They are great knives (I have had a set for many years - they work, and look, like new).

As to the difference between the $149 and $499 sets (if for the same type and number of knives), difference will likely be the steel alloy used and the handle construction. Just and FYI, top shelf knives like Wustof and Henckel are hand wash only - no dishwasher.

The Calphalon knives will be a private label made by someone else. Not sure who.

RR

We have and extended set of "Cutco" knives. Been very happy with the quality, service and warranty. Free sharpening for life. A bit pricey but you can start with a few and add on over time. Ergonomic, diswasher safe and feel good in your hand. Just try to survive the learning curve..... lots of knicked fingers and some close calls.. very very very sharp. Goos luck :thumbsup2:

I'll second that.

Guest Ken8143

We have Cutco and like them. Already mentioned - you want knives that hold and edge. A dull knife will cut you quicker than a sharp one. Trust me on this. A sharp one stays where it should - a dull one needs a bit more pressure and rolls easier.

Get a set that fits your hand real well. None of this straight handle stuff. Knives with a full haft (blade goes entirely up through the handle).

+1 on the Cutco. My Ex got them in divorce and it's about the only thing I wish I'd fought for. When we got them, there was a lifetime sharpening warranty included. We'd call our rep and he'd get them sharpened. That was very nice. I think it is a standard feature.

A special shout out their sandwich knife. The perfect size and amount of flex for spreading mustard or mayo or peanut butter, and a serrated edge for cutting the sandwich. I miss that knife. *sigh*

Dave

I have had for the last thirty+ years a complete set of "Chicago Cutlery" and they are by far the best set I have ever owned. My son bought Henkels three years ago and now owns "Chicago Cutlery". I also own a "Chef's Choice" diamond electric hone, and it will put a shaving edge on any knife.

:farmer: