IGNORED

Air Compressor

pick

Well, been home for a week now recouping from sholder surgery, WAY to much time on my hands before I go back to work. Tinkering in my work shop, I want to run several more lines remotely off my air compressor so I have alternate locations that I can plug in air tools, etc. I am thinking of using 1/2" inch PVC pipe? Anyone have any experience with this? Just thinking 1/2" as its cheeper that 3/4"? Would ther be a difference in air flow CFM,s etc between 1/2" and 3/4"????????? Air is used mostly for blowing off parts, drying and a 3/4" air ratchet. Light sanding, no heavy spray painting or orbital sanding?

Any hints? :scratchchin:

I realize this is your personal garage you are considering this for.

OSHA does not allow PVC pipe to be used for compressed gas transmission though.

If the time came when you sold the property, the system should be removed if you make the decision to install PVC.

Gary

Although PVC is easy to work with, for safety reasons I would not use it for compressed air.

If you should bump it hard enough while it is under pressure you will have shrapnel flying.

I realize that GA does not get that cold that often but PVC can get brittle in the cold making shattering it easier. I used all threaded steel pipe for my air system.

Don't forget to design in some water drains.

I have all of the airlines on the celing and then drops wherever I want an air outlet.

I bring the line straight down to a T and then continue it straight down for about a foot for the water trap with a valve to let the water out after every use. The air coupling is mounted straight out from the T. If you use a threaded cap you have to take the pressure all of the way down each time you want to drain it. I use my air often enough that I keep it up all the time except for maintenance.

Wow, twice not to use PVC?????? I've seen it used in a lot of places? One even commercial here? I'd hate to think how much it'd be if I had to run steel or copper?????????????? That would price the convenience right out of it, I'd just hve to get couplers and longer hoses............Pipe is marked good to 600#????

Maybe I'm looking for an accident but I'd use it in a heartbeat. If you are afraid of the pressure use the higher grade pvc, or use cpvc. I've been thinking about running me some lines my self.

Just talked to guy I work with here and he said he has 13 outlets in his counter top building shop. He said he knocked an outlet off and the only bad thing that happened was the air leaked out and the compressor came on. Take this for what it's worth and make the judgement for yourself. just my opinion.

:big-grin-emoticon:

Guest seuadr
Wow, twice not to use PVC?????? I've seen it used in a lot of places? One even commercial here? I'd hate to think how much it'd be if I had to run steel or copper?????????????? That would price the convenience right out of it, I'd just hve to get couplers and longer hoses............Pipe is marked good to 600#????

i'm betting it was not PVC but PEX tubing. some of it loosk similar, but it has a much, much higher burst pressure, and it's not brittle like PVC. if it WAS PVC, my guess it was sche 120 or 180.. and even then they are breaking code in most areas. pex is cheap and easy, but even easier would be to get a 50 foot hose and reel set that swivels, or 100 foot if you need it. hang it from the ceiling, and then just pull the hose down to where you are working. plus, less clutter that way. :happy34:

Pick,

I have seen the PVC used and haven't heard of it letting go. Copper is a great alternative if you have money to burn. I would go with black iron pipe with threaded ends, you can Tee it off at intervals you want and elbow the ends. Put quick connects on it for plugging in your hoses and I can guarantee you, you wont blow it up with any home air compressor.

Guest seuadr
Pick,

I have seen the PVC used and haven't heard of it letting go. Copper is a great alternative if you have money to burn. I would go with black iron pipe with threaded ends, you can Tee it off at intervals you want and elbow the ends. Put quick connects on it for plugging in your hoses and I can guarantee you, you wont blow it up with any home air compressor.

go to a local supply house/hardware store for plumbing and you'll save a bit over the big box stores usually for black pipe, nevermind the fact the quality of the threads are usually much better.

most local hardwares will cut and thread it to your needs for free, or a very nominal fee. can get a set of pipe thread cutters that'll do the trick alright for you as well for pretty cheap.

DO NOT USE PVC PIPE.

If it fails, you will have sharp pieces of pipe flying around your shop!!!!!!

I tacked a cheep and inexpensive air hose I bought at Harbor Freight to the ceiling using the proper size plastic pipe clips.

Easy, and inexpensive.

My garage is fairly small so besides the air outlet next to my upright compressor I ran a 3/8" plastic air line off a T from the compressor and ran it to the center of the garage ceiling. Then mounted a retractable reel. If I need to reach further than either hose I have a couple of 25ft extensions.

Larry

I started at the comp. with a ball valve the a 15' stainless steel flex to the main 1" steel feeder line and then 1/2 plastic Air Brake line from there(to hose reels and drops).The air brake line is used on trucks and buses,for the brake system and is D.O.T. approved for air lines. assembles with compression fittings Also D.O.T. approved and has a work pressure in excess of 200#.for what you have listed (I assume you meant 3/8 ratchet not 3/4)you could run the hole system in this very easy to work with

My compressor is 80 gal tank work pressure 175#

Truck Pro is about the cheapest you can also get it at large truck dealer(Freight liner,IHC, KW) runs about $0.50 a foot can be bought buy the foot and comes on roles of 500 foot, common color is Black but you can get it in Red Yellow Orange and Blue. make sure the fitting are for plastic air line it will have a steel tube that slide in the air line so the Farrell will crush.

I had PVC in my first shop it does work not the safest way to go but if you chose to use PVC

Get schedule 40 not 20

Use the high strength glue.

Dump the pressure out of the system

Do not hit it with objects it will shatter

Yep same type lines but cheaper if you buy it form truck supply house.

Oreilly auto parts can also get it might have to be special ordered

Ask for there Fleet & Heavy Duty catalog

1/2" has a P# GAT H30002-08 $.72 foot

5/8" has a P# GAT H30002-10 $1.00 foot