IGNORED

adjusting valves on my 2004

I followed Goose's directions from his post and everything was great until I got to measuring the gap. I did like the manual and Goose said, timing mark in window to get TDC, and then the cams were pointing away from each other at about 5 and 7 o'clock. Problem is they are still in contact with the shims and you can't measure it. I cranked the engine a little further and the exhaust valves were free and intake was pushed open. Can you just measure the gap when the cam lobes are pointing up? It seems the round portion of the cam should be the same all the way around and the valve closed unless the cam is touching it.:scratchchin:

Try going around again and line up on TDC. I never did it on a Venture but on a YZ250F...the crank will line up on the TDC mark but you are really not on TDC till you go around again on the crank and then stop on the TDC mark.

You might try removing the plug and stick a wooden dowel rod in the spark plug hole touching the top of the piston...that way you can be sure you are at TDC when on the TDC mark in the timing window.

I am sure folks that have actually adjusted the valves on the Venture will set you strait.

First off, it sounds like you possibly found the wrong TDC. There are two Marks on the Rotor, they are 70 (or 290) Degrees apart.

I can't say 5 o'clock/7 o'clock is wrong (for me it sounds about right) but you can't just measure at any Point where the lobes are high in Relation to the Buckets. The Clearance Measurements are specific for this Point, you can't just use any other Point opposite to the Lobe. If you found the correct TDC Mark, plain and simple, the Valve Clearance is that much out of Whack.

Best and easiest Way to find the TDC on the Cylinder you're checking is to use a TDC Finder, or, with all due Respect and carefully, use a small Screwdriver in the Plug Hole while turning the Crank over. I don't mess with the Marks anymore, just made me an TDC Finder out of an old Spark Plug and some Delrin on the Lathe.

You're right , I had the wrong TDC. I was on the exhaust stoke. I put a wooden dowel in the spark plug hole and cranked till I got TDC again and sure enough there was the marking in the hole. Does anyone know how to get a wooden dowel out of the cylinder head now? Just kidding. Thanks for all the help. This was the first time I did a post and for the computer dummy I am it was harder to figure out than the valve adjustment.

Thanks Joe

Glad you got it all sorted out. Many people just measure the clearances with the lobes up like you suggested, without concern for real TDC, but I do not. I have found a number of engines where the clearance is different at real TDC vs. just turning until the lobes are straight up. I just assume the manufacturers know their engines will measure differently like that, so I decided when in doubt to always measure as described in the manufacturer's tech manual. In addition, I'd always rather have the valves a bit too loose instead of a bit too tight. Happy riding,

Goose

Goose all of your tech posts are nicely detailed. I used to work on all my own cars back before they covered the motor with hoses, canisters, this that and the other, so it's been awhile since I dealt with valves. Thanks for your help.