IGNORED

What a crappy weekend...

Guest human4m

Guest human4m

So with both kids having strep throat, the weather was poor most of the weekend, then on top of it all- my dog got attacked.

My father-in-law's 120+lb yellow lap grabbed my 9lb mini Dachshund my the neck, shook him like a rag doll, and flung him a good 30 feet. Now my dog has two lacerations on his neck, won't eat, won't drink, won't come out of his crate- and if I pick him up and carry him out, he just pulls his tail between his legs and starts shaking. Won't walk, won't sit, just looks around in fear.

If it weren't for the legalities, there'd be a yellow lab suffering from cranial high-velocity lead poisoning.

Guest human4m
wow thats bad news did you take the dog to the vet?

it might have gone into shock at one point.

We're having trouble finding a vet that will see him. We give him his immunization shots at home, and we haven't found a vet that recognizes them. So we cleaned the cuts with peroxide, and put triple antibiotic ointment on it.

We think he's pretty freaked out, since he will walk into his crate if you put him in front of it, and he tries to get as close to my lap as possible if I'm on the floor, or if I put him on the bed. Like he's just looking for a safe place.

Guest human4m

It was at my brother in law's house, which is between his house and mine. My dog was there with our kids, playing with my Brother in law's puppy (which is MY dog's offspring) when the lab came over and chewed on him.

Got 3 of those myself. The oldest is a Black and Tan Dapple and she's the one that has the least bravado... so to speak (except on walks when she thinks she's the biggest dog on the planet). She's the one that acts most like you describe if we discipline the dogs. I'm sure he'll get over it. Right now he's hurting and reeling from the experience. As soon as the hurt subsides some, I'm sure he'll be more back to normal.

Hate seeing my babies that way so I know how you feel though.

If you give him his shots then you've got a record. So don't tell them till after they get a look at the dog that you give the shots. Just bring the dogs records that you have. I gave the pups I use to raise their first few shots here.

The poor little thing really needs to be checked. That's a pretty rough shaking for a little dog. If you're father in law was at your house I wouldn't let him bring that dog ever again. If you were at his place I wouldn't take your dog their either.

Let us know how it goes.

Margaret

Guest human4m

Well, when I came home from work tonight, things had taken a turn for the worse. Murphy-Long's wound was infected, regardless of our efforts, and was weeping pus VERY badly. My mother-in-law said instead of taking him to a vet, she wanted to spray him with an antibiotic spray for dogs. (I think she knew the Vet bill was coming her way.)

I decided I wasn't gonna wait and play out the game, so I rushed him to the Doggie Emergency Room. The Vet said he was borderline septic and said his back wasn't injured, and if I had waited another day he likely wouldn't have made it through the weekend. So, they shaved the area, flushed his wound, gave him a shot of antibiotics (and a pain med) wrapped him up (now he looks like he's wearing a T-Shirt) and sent us on our way home with pain pills & antibiotics.

He's kinda stoned right now, but he's walking, and eating already! (I wonder if there was THC in that shot, 'cause he's REALLY hungry. :whistling:)

It cost $270 for tonight, and I have to take him again on Wednesday to have the bandage changed, the wound flushed again, and re-dressed. I'm sure that'll be another $200 easy.

It looks like my electroplating is on hold now too, 'cause we didn't have the $$, I just bounced my account for my dog, but to me- it's worth it. To some, they're just dumb animals, but Murphy Long The Weiner Dong (his full name) is my lttle boy.

but to me- it's worth it. To some, they're just dumb animals, but Murphy Long The Weiner Dong (his full name) is my lttle boy.

They are 4-legged children!!!

Prayers go out for a successful outcome!!! We spent around $800.00 on my grandaughter's "free" kitten when something beat her up. We got the best end of that deal, kept the cat and sent the granddaughter back to live with Mama, but I digress!!!

I just bounced my account for my dog, but to me- it's worth it. To some, they're just dumb animals, but Murphy Long The Weiner Dong (his full name) is my lttle boy.

From a guy who....

started out with a pug who couldn't go pee, ended up with a liver shunt, and then after the whole thing was done he was operated on at a vet university and I was out $3000 total .... you can get more money, there's only one Murphy (and Buster). I remember after the operation and taking him for a walk, telling people if they want to pet him it cost 'em a buck , ;)

Without going on a rant myself here, I would politely take the bills to my inlaws and ask them 1 time to take care of it seeing they didn't have control over their dog. I would then, if they didn't pay the bill, use the leverage of your wifes enhancements over them through her. You spent monies that were going to go for endowments keeping the dog from dying.

I wont even touch the tip of the iceburg of how I really feel about people that dont have control of their animals. My tounge is on fire now so I think I'll stop and leave this post with that :rant:

Human4m,

Know how you feel about your pup. I have a Yorkie that my wife calls her daughter and grandkids call her Aunt Paris. She is part of the family and gets the due respect that any of the rest of us get around the house. As for your in-laws, it would be a tough call. If I had a dog big enough to do that, I would offer to pay at least half the vet bill if not all of it. But thats just me. Hope it works out for you and Murphy Long.

Glenn

Yup, for the family too. This has been a very stressful thing for you guys; they are 4-legged people for sure. I've had my many through the years. I now have an 18 year old long-haired black cat, Scratch, and I'd borrow to the hilt for him.

Keep us posted, and I agree: Send the bill (all of it) to the in-laws, tactfully, of course, and perhaps through the wife. Marriage damages to be insulated, of course. Glad Murphy Long is improving, too!! :happy65::clap2::cry: and give him some icecream, too! Jz

Jack Tharp

Ft Collins, CO :thumbsup:

Guest human4m

Well, it looks like I'm gonna have to sell my pistol. The vet visit last night kinda broke us, and having to take him again tomorrow would bounce the mortgage payment... Anyone know where I can sell pistols online? With so many liabilities, I'm sure I can't post it on here, so if anyone can point me in a direction, that'd be great.

Guest human4m

He seems to be doing pretty good so far. Nobody could take off work today to take him back to the vet to get his bandages changed, so I guess I get to play Doctor tonight... I figured I'd post some pics of him in his little bandage-shirt! Try not to let your female puppies see these pictures, they aren't doggie-PG.:doh:

Yes, he's on a frog blanket, he's so spoiled... He won't lay down if there isn't a blanket under him. He needs a snuggie!