IGNORED

What do we know about Arteries?

Oldslow

More specifically blocked arteries? Recently I been told I have "mild" blockage in my lower heart. I don't know what mild means.

But I been wondering, what percentage of North American men aged 50 or older walking into a doctors office "wouldn't" have some blockage. In other words would you think it might be common considering our life style in the later 50 yrs?

Sure some won't...but over all?

Just wondering!!!

I'm led to believe that the build up of plaque on the walls of arteries is relatively common. Thats what leads to a heart attack though, so how serious is yours? Your doctor will have to say. I'm taking an 81mg aspirin daily which helps thin the blood a bit and helps alleviate blockages. The cleaning out (roto-rooting) of blocked arteries is fairly common, but I have to believe that anything done inside the heart has to be considered a serious and somewhat risky procedure.

Im 57 With RA.... and..... Chubby.....and..... High Blood Pressure .... I have to watch..... what I eat.... and..... Drink.... Im not following that as well as I should........... The Doc tells me no Coffee :crying: ....no beer :crying: ....Geeze.... and..... stay away from the sweets :crying:....... I love my beer in the summer months ..... and...... my Hersey Bars m....Im taking 2000 mg of drugs daily .... I just might as well pack her in Now

Well I'm just starting down this road...They say mild. I will be getting more tests in the near future. I'm not terribly worried about this yet as I have to many other things stressing me to the limit!

Thank God spring is in the air!!

More specifically blocked arteries? Recently I been told I have "mild" blockage in my lower heart. I don't know what mild means.

But I been wondering, what percentage of North American men aged 50 or older walking into a doctors office "wouldn't" have some blockage. In other words would you think it might be common considering our life style in the later 50 yrs?

Just wondering!!!

A mild blocked artery would be something less than 80% blockage. The standard practice in the US and Canada is to not treat a blockage until it reaches 80% blockage so it is something your doctors will want to keep an eye on. The treatment may, at some time if it get worse, would be to put a stint in. An afternoon stay at the hospital and perhaps a week with lifting restrictions. Does not sound like a big deal finding it before an actual heart attack.

Joe

i found out the hard way i had blockage i was fine no problems a freind with a hd called me to go riding but his would not start asked if i would help push start it after about 4 or 5 times i told him let me get my trailer and take to the dealer well i was getting ready to get on the bumble bee and my wife on the back had it runng ready to pull out to get the trailer and i got off it turned it off told them i was ging to pass out after passing out two time and getting sick my wife made me take a ablems to the h/p and a the next day that where putting in two stints and was in there for a week so do not take it lighty

bumble bee

kevin wisor

1999 rsv

jax fl

I guess I am pretty lucky as my cholesterol has never been over 140 and the last check was about 120. My triglycerides were 57 and 60 was the bottom of the normal range. My last heart check turned up clean in all the plumbing. I don't know why I am like that as I eat all the wrong things and get very little exercize. My problem has been diabeties and my hemoglobin A1C went from 11 to 6.6 after I quit loading on sweets routinely.

I weighed 200 this morning and in mid November I was about 242.

RandyA

Just wondering!!!

I also have a mild blockage, did you have a heart cath to confirm? I get a yearly once over, nuclear stress test, heart ultrasound and other tests, I have hi Chol./Trig and a bad family history, :080402gudl_prv: Craig

I guess I am pretty lucky as my cholesterol has never been over 140 and the last check was about 120. My triglycerides were 57 and 60 was the bottom of the normal range. My last heart check turned up clean in all the plumbing. I don't know why I am like that as I eat all the wrong things and get very little exercize. My problem has been diabeties and my hemoglobin A1C went from 11 to 6.6 after I quit loading on sweets routinely.

I weighed 200 this morning and in mid November I was about 242.

RandyA

I'm about ready to crack the 240 mark.:crying::crying:

I had a heart attack in 1982 right before they started doing angioplasty. I got over that pretty well and 10 years later started having pains. So in 1992 they did 3 bypasses. Just last June, 15 years later, they put in a stent but I still have some mild discomfort now and then. I'm due for another nuclear stress test....sigh. Man, I hate those things.

Craig,

I have had none of those things and no history...prolly gonna find out more in the future!

Makes me wonder how they know you have a mild blockage, I never smoked but I ate way too many pizzas!! Had really poor eating habits. They will give you a diet that is almost impossible to stick to and tell you to start exercising daily, and maybe a couple pills. Check you over once a year to see if its getting any worse. Exercise and diet helps alot for me, your results may vary:080402gudl_prv: Craig