IGNORED

No fire at #1 and #3. Help?

aaaerstowr

I bought this Venture Royale last spring and it ran great. Near the end of the season, Every time I would hit a bump it would lose it's oomph. The electric didn't go away just stumble on it's self and then pick back up. It did this intermittently. At the end of the season, My buddy and I went through the carbs as we thought it may be a carb issue. Didn't hurt. We found some clogged jets so it was worth it. After getting it back together, the bike just had no power from idle to full throttle. We started to check fire and found none at #1 and #3. This is my second bike the first ever was a 69 Honda dream which started out as pieces and parts in a box that I acquired when I helped a little old lady move. My wife and I enjoy riding very much so we would like to get it back up and going. I just need to know where to start. I wouldn't think ou could lose two coils at one time, so I'm thinking possible loose connection some where between pickup coil and coils. Any suggestions?

aaaerstowr

Fremont, NE

Guest scarylarry

I wouldn't think ou could lose two coils at one time

I would start there if you hadn't always hope for the best expect the worst, and that would be the first place to start...

After that I'm lost if the coils check out.

• 7 years later...

I would first take off the airbox, start it up and then spray a bit of carb cleaner into the throat of each carb. If there is a response then you have spark, if not I would check to see if there is power at the end of the spark plug wire. If there is, then the plugs are suspect. If you haven't changed the plugs for a while, then now is a good time. If you have no spark at the end of the wire remove the cap, clean it, cut a bit off the end of the wire to freshen it and try again. Next area to check would be the TCI. It's located under the battery, so take out the battery and airbox to remove the connector and clean the connections. At this point you may decide to remove the TCI and locate it to the top of the airbox where it is more accessible and is in a dryer environment. Once that is done, try it again. If no luck, then maybe you have pulled the wires out of the coils. The coils are located under the dashboard\clockworks, to the side. 2 on each side and be gotten to from the front. The front coils go to the front cylinders and the rear ones go to the rear cylinders. It takes small hands to get to them but with a little squeeze it can be accomplished without taking it all apart. In order to access the rear it's best to remove the front wires first, then do the rear and then finish the front. Wires are held into the coils with a rubber o-ring, special size and conformation, and a taper nut.

I would first take off the airbox, start it up and then spray a bit of carb cleaner into the throat of each carb. If there is a response then you have spark, if not I would check to see if there is power at the end of the spark plug wire. If there is, then the plugs are suspect. If you haven't changed the plugs for a while, then now is a good time. If you have no spark at the end of the wire remove the cap, clean it, cut a bit off the end of the wire to freshen it and try again. Next area to check would be the TCI. It's located under the battery, so take out the battery and airbox to remove the connector and clean the connections. At this point you may decide to remove the TCI and locate it to the top of the airbox where it is more accessible and is in a dryer environment. Once that is done, try it again. If no luck, then maybe you have pulled the wires out of the coils. The coils are located under the dashboard\clockworks, to the side. 2 on each side and be gotten to from the front. The front coils go to the front cylinders and the rear ones go to the rear cylinders. It takes small hands to get to them but with a little squeeze it can be accomplished without taking it all apart. In order to access the rear it's best to remove the front wires first, then do the rear and then finish the front. Wires are held into the coils with a rubber o-ring, special size and conformation, and a taper nut.

It's funny because it had been running fine and I cleaned it yesterday and may have got some water somewhere I shouldn't have. I suspect it may be the TCI. I will check that tonight. Seems strange for to coils not to be firing at the same time. Thanks

I just went through this with my 02 RSMV. Rebuilt the carbs and then the 3&4 cylinders were cold. Checked for fire and had it so synced carbs and all is right with the world. And now I own a Morgan carbtune since I always had dealers work on tune-ups. So easy.

:farmer:

I have the same problem. Both front cyl are not firing. Is the TCI common to both and where do I find this. I guess I could follow the coils backwards. What is a TCI?

It's funny because it had been running fine and I cleaned it yesterday and may have got some water somewhere I shouldn't have. I suspect it may be the TCI. I will check that tonight. Seems strange for to coils not to be firing at the same time. Thanks

I would first take off the airbox, start it up and then spray a bit of carb cleaner into the throat of each carb. If there is a response then you have spark, if not I would check to see if there is power at the end of the spark plug wire. If there is, then the plugs are suspect.

Be very careful performing this procedure is you choose to do so. 1st gens have a tendency to backfire out the carbs without the airbox or even just the airbox cover. You could be minus some eyebrows for a while. Don't ask me how I know.

It sure sounds like electrical to me. Check all the connectors, get some dielectric grease and apply it inside every connector you can find.

The TCI is a black box that controls how the bike fires. It's located in an ungodly location under the backbone of the frame under the tank. Getting at it is next to impossible, never mind removing it. Most guys wind up removing it from it's current location and tape or velcro it to the top of the airbox cover. There's just enough room.

Edited by grubsie

Update. I now have good clean connections everywhere but that wasn't the problem. Pulled the plugs and they are getting spark. I have changed the fuel filter but it appears I'm not getting fuel to the front cylinders. Any suggestions. We finally have good weather for a while and the bike wont run.

The two rear carbs have no suction when I put my hands over them.

Edited by hunter 1500

If any carbs have fuel they all should, assuming the floats are allowing it into the bowls. Someone mentioned a carb sync, out of sync carbs have a more profound effect at lower RPMs but still it needs to be done if the carbs were off. If they are far enough out of balance the thing will barely run. To see if all the carbs have fuel in the bowls you can do a quick float level check using the bowl drain screws and a length of clear line trimmer fuel line. I cant seem to link it with my phone but its a quick check. Make sure the carbs are fully seated in the intake boots and the linkage is as it should be. Also check chokes and linkages to make sure they all actuate together.

Exactly what I had and mentioned, carb sync is where to start.

:farmer:

Update. I now have good clean connections everywhere but that wasn't the problem. Pulled the plugs and they are getting spark. I have changed the fuel filter but it appears I'm not getting fuel to the front cylinders. Any suggestions. We finally have good weather for a while and the bike wont run.

The two rear carbs have no suction when I put my hands over them.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem ended up being the fuel pump. Just wasn't strong enough to get fuel to the front carbs. Found this out after pulling the carbs and they were fine. Bowls were working and clean. Got the new one from Hondaeasttoledo off Ebay for $244 and all is well. Running a little rough though. May have to sync the carbs.