IGNORED

Tires

Guest scarylarry

Guest scarylarry

Hey I don't want to start a tire debate with this one, I went to my stealer while a friend of mine had his tire put on his GW why he didn't bring it here and use my jack I don't know, to change the tire was 70.00 5 bolts and the tire drops down...

So the parts guy told him to keep his eye open in April they will run a sale on Metzler tires, I said what about E's or avon, then reach across the counter shook my hand and said good luck with them, they are the internet king of tires, blah blah, then as I look around, I said oh I get you don't have them in stock and you don't sell them...

Here was the kicker for me, How much to change the my tire out "rear" he said 135.00.

Sounds good to me what kind of tire...No that is labor only, so might open me a shop changing tires at less rate and in 2 yrs retire...They are nuts on that price

When I bought my new front tire, I was quoted $24 labour to change it on the bike. Rear was $28

I don't think they knew what all was involved coz that particular shop (not a dealer) deals mainly with sport bikes.

As it was, I had my wheels off already.

Just brought my Venture rear tire to have new one installed, guy behind the counter says if I buy the tire from them, they will only charge $20.00 to change it if I bring it in. I ask how much for that same tire I just brought in, he looks it up and its $187.00 and change, I said you match what I paid and you got a deal. He might be able too, how much did you pay for tire. I told him it was $136.00 and that included shipping, he backed down real quick and agreed that I was doing better bringing my own tire in. Total to mount and balance my tire is $46.00, so I end up spending $182.00 total. Looks to me I am saving about $25.00.

Guest scarylarry

But 136 for labor only was a insult to me, that is the same price on Vak. too I know it is more detail, but dang that shop rate of 75. hr shouldn't be on a tire too..

I know they have to make profit, but hey the 100.00 jack and the tools are on hand here so I will be doing my own...

I found a rear tire dunlap E'3 for I think 130.00 I posted somewhere here so far they are the cheapest

I won a gift certificate for half off any tire at my local Yame dealer. I'm thinking "cool beans" because my rear is getting way too used for comfort.

Eased on down to the dealer the next weekend and told them I needed an E3 for the rear, and handed them my certificate. Sure thing he said.

Brought out my tire and rang it up.....$120.00 + tax.

I reminded him about the half off certificate, he said that was half off! $240.00 for a tire?? Yikes!

He can afford to give away a lot of gigts for that.

Guest seuadr
But 136 for labor only was a insult to me, that is the same price on Vak. too I know it is more detail, but dang that shop rate of 75. hr shouldn't be on a tire too..

I know they have to make profit, but hey the 100.00 jack and the tools are on hand here so I will be doing my own...

I found a rear tire dunlap E'3 for I think 130.00 I posted somewhere here so far they are the cheapest

hey larry, check motorcyclesuperstore.com i just pickedu p a pair for my first gen for right around 100 dollars each, free shipping.

Not to start another topic on tires but what brand of tire do you all run? I bought a Venture in 09, my first and have had to change the rear Bridgestone due to a nail finding a home in it. Not crazy about the wear and weird wear patterns, Ran ME880's on my Roadstar and put a lot of mileage on them with out any issues. Bridgestones seem to run out of tread around 8 to 10 thousand. Paid 195.00 to replace my back one last year, couldn't shop around to get one, now I can. Could use some help on the subject. My wife and I do a good bit of riding for weekend travelers.

I bought another Elite III for $117, shipping included, took wheel off and took it to SGN (Steve Neal) and he and I used his new Harbor Freight tire changer. I then put it on the axle between jack stands and checked for balance. After greasing my drive shaft, I put it all back together and the 80 mile ride yesterday was sweet.

Thanks Steve, and I feel fortunate that it is not a big deal to do this kind of stuff.

RandyA

Triking bike so I have a new Dunlop 404, new in Dec. never mounted, for $110 shipped to you, if interested let me know. Will be listing parts no longer needed for sale shortly at fair prices if anyone has a need for replacement stuff.

SonnyBoy -- do NOT run Metzler on the rear!! I had 2 come apart and there are numerous threads on here that back that up. They seem OK on the front.

Move up to the Metzeler 880 180/70/15. this is a steel belted tire.I too had the reg 880, pop chunks, twice. this is my second 180, and I love it.