IGNORED

Clutch Upgrade Kits NOW Available!

skydoc_17

As many of you know, I try to offer the highest quality parts at the best prices and combine them into my "KITS" to make the install easier. I do all of the brain work and you enjoy the benefits. I am now offering a "Kit" for First Gens. and Second Gens. (I didn't forget you guys!) that will replace the stock clutch spring with a VMAX clutch spring, AND a new FULL SIZED Clutch Disc to replace the "Wimpy" half Disc that is in the rear of the clutch pack, as well as a brand new Yamaha Clutch Cover Gasket. As usual, I am shipping these Clutch Upgrade Kits for free and the price is $67.00 to your door! Check the price on the PCW kit to find out what a deal this is. These kits come with written instructions and a link to the thread that explains the install, WITH PICS! The kits are different between the First Gens. and Second Gens. So be sure to order the right kit for your scoot. If you have questions or are not sure what parts you need, PLEASE feel free to PM me.

Thanks for your time and good luck with your project,:thumbsup2:

Earl

If you have a First Gen. MKII VR (1986 to 1993) Here is a link to the ad:

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php/product/2644/cat/500

If you have a Second Gen. RSV or RSTD here is a link to the ad:

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=2651

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TERRIFIC!!

Earl you are the man! :thumbsup2:

Mine isn't slipping yet, but my mileage is climbing and based on other's experiences/mileage I have been considering having one on hand for the fist sign of it happening to me (or just doing it to have it done and not worry about it).

I do have a question for you. I noticed on your ad you have the quantity listed as '20'. Is this going to be an ongoing thing that you will have available or is this going to be a one time deal - when they are gone they are gone?

Thanks again Earl for all the work you do!!!

Hey Beev,

Thanks for the kind words. Like I have said before, "I hate getting ripped off" when it comes to buying parts. When I find a great deal, I try to share it with the members of this site because when I first joined, everyone was so helpful to me. As long as the vendor's that have been working with me can supply these parts, I will offer the many kits I have listed in the Classifieds. Sometimes the cost for the materials or shipping goes up and I have to adjust the price, but except for that I try to provide Excellent Quality parts at a fair price. I am SURE that there are some items made in China that are cheaper than some of the items I sell, but EVERYTHING I place in the Classifieds has been personally used by me so I KNOW it fits and will function properly,and usually looks pretty darn cool doing it!

Thanks again Beev,

Earl

...EVERYTHING I place in the Classifieds has been personally used by me ...
So what you are saying is that all your kits are second hand. Well they are still a good price anyway.:stirthepot: :stirthepot:

Experience is priceless. :big-grin-emoticon:

Now you tell me about this :crying:

Oh well, I have already ordered a kit from PCW last week.

"I hate getting ripped off" :think: I hope I didn't?

Nice to see this is available though here as well now.

Great price!

Jeff

Skydoc

Can you tell me anything about the V-max spring compared to the setup that PCW is selling? I want to do the change this spring because I had a couple of clutch slips toward the end of last season. Are these ready to ship right away? I have a friend who is vacationing in Florida for a few weeks and I might get it shipped to him rather than shipping to Canada and dealing with Customs crap etc.

You had mentioned something about working on a rear shock solution for second gens - wondering if you had any chance to get back to it? (I realize this wasn't very long ago) Shock is still OK but I don't expect it to last too much longer. Unfortunately, this is a difficult thing for you to plan in terms of sales for the amount of work you have to put into it. Nobody is going to order a fairly expensive item like this until their shock actually pukes. All I can say is that if (when) my shock quits, I'll be looking for aftermarket alternatives if the price is right - would have to beat the best on-line price for an OEM (~$450) by a reasonable margin.

Thanks for your efforts!!

Ross

Hey Ross,

Because I own a First Gen., I geared up for the ads I placed thinking that the First Gen. owners would be all over this. Well, I didn't expect the Second Gen. owners to respond as well as they have to the ad. I have placed an order this morning for the Clutch Cover Gasket which is the "special" item that is the difference between the First Gen. Kit and the Second Gen. Kit. I have been assured that those Clutch Cover Gaskets will arrive early next week and I will be able to ship out all orders by mid next week. (March 10, 2010) I apologize for this slight delay, but please understand that I am working on a somewhat limited budget and I wasn't sure this would be something that people would be interested in.

Now, as to your question about the Second Gen. rear shock, I am in contact with a Rep from Olin Manufacturing, ( European company, ultra high end, excellent quality products)

And I am trying to "Sort out" the engineering "challenges" of a replacement shock for the Second Gen. RSV and RSTD. If I can be bluntly honest here for a moment, What I have discovered so far is that the reason Yamaha sells their stock shock for $450.00 is because it is a cheaply made shock of fair to poor quality and Olin will not put their name on ANY product that doesn't meet their quality standards. Which means that we are going to be talking about a shock that is priced more like the Works replacement shock. ($600.00+/-)

With the financial power of a "Group Buy" I think I can beat the price down somewhat, but to be honest, If $450.00 is buying "Junk" then paying $600.00+/- for THE LAST SHOCK YOU EVER PUT ON YOUR Second Gen. doesn't sound so bad. Like I said, I'm still slappin' these Olin guys around but they slap back pretty hard. I'll keep you posted.

Sorry to get off topic, I guess I just Hijacked my own thread!:confused24:

Earl

Hey Earl, ... iirc, Oehlins is owned by Yamaha on the long End... :think::think:

I'd have some other Connections here in Germany too, if you're interested in getting something going with that 2Gen Shock and Oehlins won't work out moneywise.

Also, there's a rather new Company in Thailand or Malaysia, which is owned and operated by former White Power white Collar as well as blue Collar Guys. Naturally, they use a Lot of WP Knowledge and have already built up a good Reputation. We've been talking about making Shocks for the 1Gen Vmax, but they refused to to this for us, because they said we need 18mm Piston Diameters and they could only produce up 16mm by the Time (probably 2 Years ago) on Stereo Shocks.

... What I have discovered so far is that the reason Yamaha sells their stock shock for $450.00 is because it is a cheaply made shock of fair to poor quality and Olin will not put their name on ANY product that doesn't meet their quality standards. Which means that we are going to be talking about a shock that is priced more like the Works replacement shock. ($600.00+/-)

With the financial power of a "Group Buy" I think I can beat the price down somewhat, but to be honest, If $450.00 is buying "Junk" then paying $600.00+/- for THE LAST SHOCK YOU EVER PUT ON YOUR Second Gen. doesn't sound so bad. Like I said, I'm still slappin' these Olin guys around but they slap back pretty hard. I'll keep you posted.

Sorry to get off topic, I guess I just Hijacked my own thread!:confused24:

Earl

While I don't disagree that a $600 investment in a long term solution might be attractive to the relatively few who put lots of miles on their bikes, I suspect that because of the 5-year Yamaha warranty and the fact that most don't put that many miles on their machines in the run of a year, you will have some difficulty getting enough members interested to make it worth while. Unfortunately, is not the sort of thing you can buy on the basis of pre-orders as there are few who will buy before they have a problem and once they have a problem, they need a new shock "NOW".

I wish you luck with it (the shock) but its not going to be easy.

On the other hand, I think you'll do quite well with the clutch kit. (last comment to bring the thread back to where it started)

Thanks

Ross

Skydoc

Can you tell me anything about the V-max spring compared to the setup that PCW is selling?

I have been looking at the PCW kit already. My 2nd gen bike is not slipping YET..only 15K on it so far...but once I think it slipped on a trip to Ark in 4thr 5th gear. I wanted to make sure it didn't cause me problems off on a trip this year.

PCW indicates they use the 2nd Generation Heavy Duty VMAX Clutch Spring...not sure about what friction plates they send.

Have you tried this kit in a 2nd Gen? Do you get the same results as the PCW kit?

I do not want any trouble 1000 miles from home...

Hey Mike,

The Parts are the same as the PCW kit. Because I don't have the Overhead of PCW, I am able to cut the profit margin and this is how I am able to sell this kit for less. This mod has been around for Approx. 15 years and I personally have installed this upgrade in 10 First Gens., and Two Second Gens. (including my own personal bike) in the last two years. I have had NO PROBLEMS with any of the installs to this point. It has only been in the last 10 days that I have been able to get the completive pricing on the parts that has allowed me to offer this kit at the current price. This $67.00 upgrade will keep you from spending hundreds of dollars replacing your stock clutch when in fact it is the clutch spring that has failed, not to mention the increase in clutch performance due to the stiffer clutch spring and replacement of the half Disc with a full Genuine Yamaha clutch friction Disc. I could has used a China made, low quality clutch cover gasket, or a "knock off" clutch spring to make a few extra bucks but I assembled this kit as if it was going in my own personal motorcycle, which is how I do ALL of my kits, Striving for quality first, and a reasonable price as the second consideration. My personal opinion about repairs/upgrades like this is, if I am going to go to the trouble to do this repair/upgrade, I only want to do this ONCE! I am a pretty NO BS kinda' guy when it comes to modifying motorcycles, if it don't work, I don't try to sell it. We have ALL had that "sick" feeling in the pit of our stomach when you just KNOW that something isn't right about the way your motorcycle is functioning, and because I have been there myself, I would NEVER lead someone to believe that a part or upgrade is the Cat's A$$ if in fact it wasn't. The last thing that I can offer that your Dealer or PCW can't, is if during the install you have a question, or a problem with any of the kits I sell, you can PM me or call me on my cell phone (my phone number is in my profile) and I will stop what ever I am doing and give you my undivided attention until your question is answered or your problem is solved. There are quite a few members here that will attest to that fact. My wish is that you would give me the opportunity to provide that service to you, Like it was in "the good old days".:thumbsup2:

Earl

Hey Earl thanks for putting these kits together I am interested in one, I guess I missed it but how do I pay? Do you have paypal? Also on a side note are you going to maint day at Dons, bet you could make some $$$$ installing these kits there? Let me know how to pay ya.:mo money: Thanks Craig

Hey Earl,I guess I missed the part in the instructions where you and Jean ride to Wisconsin to supervise the correct installation of parts....:rasberry: :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Seriously,I think I will have to do this mod as I had some clutch slippage issues at the end of last year and need to figure out if it's the springs or the disc going bad...:think:

Thanks for getting these together just ordered one kit. 2nd gen . Thanks for the comment about the install with one hand behind the back just what i needed more pressure. Great price

Last fall I installed the PCW and new discs after 116,000 miles. I am very pleased with the results. If you have slippage replace the spring assembly. I did the total replacement because of the mileage. The V max spring really works.

:farmer: