IGNORED

Any helmet painters out ther

E-Fishin-C

I have seen some really nice paint jobs on skate boards, no, I don't mean 1st gens... Locally there are a couple painters who specialize in skate board painting and have frequently been recommended for custom motorcycle and helmet painting. Check around your area.

If you are looking for a simple solid color to match your scoot, might I suggest trying a local body shop with some cash (ie. ~$20). Standard automotive paint will not do anything to harm the helmet.

If you want to do it your self you could probably do spray paint and then wax it - that may provide a decent finish. It would be wise to investigate a plastic safe rattle can - if you are going to go that route, but it may not matter. My experience/expertise here is limited to automotive paints.

Good luck!

Your helmet will usually be some distant from the bike. Suppose to be anyway. So it doesn't have to be a perfect match but if that's what you want take the bike by your local automotive paint supplier. They can match the paint then you can get a pint or quart. What ever the smallest amount they will sell.

Then to your local body shop for the painting. A single color should not be too much to paint and you did the leg work getting the paint yourself.

Guest human4m

:2cents:

Depending on the existing finish that is on your noggin-cover (Some helmets are painted, some are covered in a vinyl wrap) you want to scuff up the surface. If your helmet has a vinyl wrap on it... I can't help you, 'cause I've never taken that wrap off. If it's painted, feel free to continue...

Determine if it's made of fiberglass or ABS plastic. Once you've determined that, you're ready to roll. Make sure the primer you buy is safe for use on the material, and get the paint to boot. (Check with the paint manufacturer to be sure, if it doesn't say on the label.)

Start by removing the liner, screws, and anything else you don't want painted, and DOUBLE-mask off anything that isn't removable. This is the sanding prep.

Scuff the paint thoroughly with one of those green scotchbrite pads (they work wonders for helping paint stick) Using sandpaper makes it too easy to sand right into the shell of the helmet.

You can wet-sand it with the scotchbrite pad, and it will help with a smoother finish, but you MUST be sure to blow it off with compressed air, and it has to be COMPLETELY dry, with no droplets near it, or you're just asking for a jacked up paint job.

Once it's well scuffed, blow it off with compressed air (do NOT use thinner or solvents) then follow up with a tack cloth.

Remove any sanded masking materials, and re-mask for painting. I have found stuffing wads of newspaper inside the helmet makes it easier to mask off the bottom opening.

Spray a light coat of primer, starting with the hard-to-spray areas first, and continue with full passes, from one end to the other.

Once the primer has dried (read the label) LIGHTLY scuff with the scotchbrite pad to remove over spray texture. You may end up having to do a 2nd coat of primer.

After you've prepped the last primer coat (Scuffing, and tacking) prepare for paint! Feel free to re-mask at this point (I did, I'm just a thorough kinda guy) Start laying on the paint in thin coats! After you've painted, lay the clear on. I prefer to remove the masking before the paint dries, that way there's less risk of peeling the paint off with it.

After the paint has FULLY CURED (Normally 7 days or so) you can go at it with a high-speed buffer for a killer shine.

I am still debating on ordering those Alsa paints from my other post, and doing my new helmet....

Good luck!