To get my 87 Venture on the center stand I use a 12" section of 1" pipe. Slip the pipe over the foot pad on the center stand, grab the handle bars with your left hand and the passenger grab bar with your right. Put your right foot on the end of the pipe, pull the bike backwards and at the same time step down on the pipe with your right foot. The pipe gives you extra leverage and will "pop" right up on the stand. I carry mine in the left saddle bag.

• Like 1

I carry a chunk of 2x6 in the saddlebag.  I have gotten it up on the center with no aid, but after reconstructive knee surgery on my right I’m terrified of effing it up.  I’m lucky enough to be walking running and jumping again let alone riding.  My knee is worth more than my pride.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I cut around 2 inches off the bottom of the center stand and welded some cross tube on the feet to make a “ride off” stand.  It is very easy to pop on the stand (even in flip- flops) and rear wheel is on the ground when on the stand.  I carry 2 small chunks of 2x4 to tip the center stand on to lift the rear wheel off the ground or stabilize on soft ground.

4DBD94A6-1EE5-4E3A-901E-8B89E214DC78.jpeg

05FAA2E1-FB90-4CEF-9C04-12FBBA578200.jpeg

7D2CD2ED-0873-4F63-95A3-021B7347CCA3.jpeg

DECA5370-9C50-4CA6-BFE4-5C11396B4C1F.jpeg