Good morning all,

Anybody have any tips or tricks to get the Venture up on the center stand?

On my Virago, I just straddle the bike and crush the center stand down as I pull back, that does the trick for the Vgo. I don't think I can do that with the Venture, lol.

Thanks in advance.

Don

I believe you said you had a standard? get more air in the shocks, If you have a CLASS increase air to max, hold sadlebag guard and handlebar and heave. Or you could build a small platform out of two by material for the wheels, leave room for the centerstand, it'd be a breeze then.

start with bike on side stand, standing on left side, grab the chrome crash bar around side bag with right hand, left hand on left grip, step on centerstand with right foot. push down with foot while pulling up and back with hands...cant think of any other options

Hey Don,

I am 6' Tall, but weigh about 180lbs "soaking wet". Plus at my little shop here in South Central Pa. I usually lift 2 to 5 of these bikes a day. With that being said, I purchased a 11/2" pipe nipple that is one foot long, and slid it over the end of the Center stand "horn". (see attached pic) Standing on the left side of your VR, place your left hand on the passenger grab bar and place your right hand on the handle bars. The "ball" of your RIGHT foot goes on the end of the pipe nipple, when the legs of the center stand make contact with the floor, straighten you leg at the knee and push down with your foot. It is NOT the pulling or lifting with your arms that makes the bike go up on the center stand, it is the "stabbing" motion with your right leg that "levers" the bike up. The extra length of the pipe nipple makes a job that was once "scary" for me to do, easy. I keep one of these pipe nipples in my saddle bag in a cloth bag and can put my bike on the center stand any time I want. The whole Idea of being on one side of my VR with only one hand on the handle bars and the bike standing "strait up" was very creepy to me, this extension took care of that problem nicely for me. One other tip, have someone you trust stand on the OTHER side of your VR for the first couple times until you get "warm and fuzzy" with putting the bike up on the center stand. Once you "nail it" once or twice, you won't have any problem after that. (Disclaimer: Your results may vary, but lets hope not!):crackup:

Earl

I keep a 2 X 4 about 10" long in the saddle bag. I drive the rear tire up on the board (board laying flat). Lifts pretty easy. I saw Thom do the same thing with his 1st Gen, but he puts it under the front tire.

If you make the board the right length, You can prop it under the frame or front crash guard to keep the front wheel in the air while it's on the centerstand.

Standing on the left side of your VR, place your left hand on the passenger grab bar and place your right hand on the handle bars. The "ball" of your RIGHT foot goes on the end of the pipe nipple, when the legs of the center stand make contact with the floor, straighten you leg at the knee and push down with your foot. It is NOT the pulling or lifting with your arms that makes the bike go up on the center stand, it is the "stabbing" motion with your right leg that "levers" the bike up.

Earl

This is a very good explaination of how to get any motorcycle up on it's center stand. I will add one thing; When you first step on the center stand and lower it, slightly rock the bike until you clearly feel both legs are touching the ground. Now stiff-leg the center stand, lift up then back, mostly with your right hand.

Edited by GaryZ

Good tips and instructions from all. Recently, there were also some posts about a modification to the centre stand which interested me. The mod was to basically to shorten the centre stand. I am thinking of doing that. Does anybody have any views on or experience with this mod?

I've never placed a bike on the center stand while on the bike. I always dismount and then place it on the center stand. On my VR, being that it's heavier, I usually pull up on the passenger hand hold and push down on the center stand foot pedal at the same time. That usually does the trick for me. Oh, make sure you have good shoes on...it really hurts trying this with either sandals or no shoes at all.

Hey Don,

I am 6' Tall, but weigh about 180lbs "soaking wet". Plus at my little shop here in South Central Pa. I usually lift 2 to 5 of these bikes a day. With that being said, I purchased a 11/2" pipe nipple that is one foot long, and slid it over the end of the Center stand "horn". (see attached pic) Standing on the left side of your VR, place your left hand on the passenger grab bar and place your right hand on the handle bars. The "ball" of your RIGHT foot goes on the end of the pipe nipple, when the legs of the center stand make contact with the floor, straighten you leg at the knee and push down with your foot. It is NOT the pulling or lifting with your arms that makes the bike go up on the center stand, it is the "stabbing" motion with your right leg that "levers" the bike up. The extra length of the pipe nipple makes a job that was once "scary" for me to do, easy. I keep one of these pipe nipples in my saddle bag in a cloth bag and can put my bike on the center stand any time I want. The whole Idea of being on one side of my VR with only one hand on the handle bars and the bike standing "strait up" was very creepy to me, this extension took care of that problem nicely for me. One other tip, have someone you trust stand on the OTHER side of your VR for the first couple times until you get "warm and fuzzy" with putting the bike up on the center stand. Once you "nail it" once or twice, you won't have any problem after that. (Disclaimer: Your results may vary, but lets hope not!):crackup:

Earl

Hey, thanks. So simple, yet...

Here is how I do it. Good advice to have CLASS system at a reasonable pressure, but no need to have it maxed out.

Start on side stand, stand beside the bike, with your right side to the bike.

Gripping left hand on left handlebar, right hand on left passenger grab handrail. Right foot on the center stand tab.

Pull the bike near straight up, as you push down on the center stand gently with your foot, till you feel both feet of the center stand on the floor, then put a little more weight on your right foot.

Then in one motion, pull up hard on the rail as you push down with your foot, attempting to pull the two apart. This motion should let anyone of anywhere normal strength put the bike up.

I have gotten to the point where I can almost balance the bike on the center stand so that it goes all the way gently rocking back, I then put weight on my right hand on the grab rail to keep the bike on the back tire so I can gently let the front down.

I just don't like that front to go bashing down. But this slow rocking forward sometimes freaks out people watching me, thinking the bike is coming back off the side stand and they start to come towards me thinking I need help. But I let the front down gently and they stop and grin. My "wheelie" with the front is a fun move. Try it.

Getting your full weight onto the center stand is the whole trick to it. Make sure you have both pads hitting the ground and pump that stand leg down with your right leg. Lifting on the bag guard helps but you shouldn't be straining to do it. Let your body weight do the work.

You'll be surprised how easy it happens when you get the hang of it.

Years ago I took 1/2 inch out of each leg of the center stand and it makes it a lot easier to get it up. A half inch out of the stand is like putting the bike rear tire on a one inch plank. I also put a steel wheel on the outside of the right leg and on smooth concrete I can spin the bike around by placing two fingers on the side of the trunk and pushing slightly. The wheel is about 1/8th lower than the foot. I tend to run as low of air as I can with out the bike bottoming out in the rear shock because of being inseam challenged, so this works best for me.

RandyA

• Like 1

But don't leave it on the center stand during an earthquake! DOH!!

Are you saying it is safe on the side stand during an earthquake?:stickpoke:

I would think the only safe place would be out in the driveway laying down on a mattress, or tied down with safety straps.

I'm glad I live where a 3.5 quake is major news that is talked about for a week.:scared:

Don't try it with anything less than boots on. I hurt my foot pushing on the horn in my reg shoes. When I was working on it one day. Mines the same colors as yours too. I have a couple plastic problems with mine. But, they don't effect anything , i mean it is 20 years old and all.

Years ago I took 1/2 inch out of each leg of the centre stand and it makes it a lot easier to get it up. A half inch out of the stand is like putting the bike rear tire on a one inch plank. I also put a steel wheel on the outside of the right leg and on smooth concrete I can spin the bike around by placing two fingers on the side of the trunk and pushing slightly. The wheel is about 1/8th lower than the foot. RandyA

This sure sounds like a great mod with good pictures to boot. I don't see any downside. Think I will try to buy a second centre to do the same. While I haven't looked, I assume it is easy to change the centre stands on my 1st gen.

Someone said that pulling up on the grab rail wasn't that important. I disagree. Especially for those that are lightweight people, you may not have enough weight to put the bike up just stepping on the center stand.

By pulling up on the grab rail AS you push down with your foot on the stand, you almost double your strength with much less effort or muscle straining effort. Now don't go busting a gut or pulling all sorts of muscles, but pulling up on the grab rail is KEY to getting the bike up easily and safely. I am 300# and pretty strong, and I still use the hand rail pull, and it makes the process SO much easier.

Most people I see struggling putting their bike on the center stand, are doing it by just stepping on the stand or by pulling back on the bars. That just isn't using your muscles in a smart and safe way. Pull up on that grab rail (you will quickly get the exact position to be in for maximum effect) and the process is so much easier. When you try it you will see that you are in a straight line, using your leg muscles and arm muscles, and your back is not much of the process, as it should be.

Man what great responses. Thanks everybody, I am going to re-read all these and come up with a plan. I know my air system does not work, so in a way it is a hardtail, lol.

I will probably use the 2 x 4 method and use good boots.

I really love this bike, but I am afraid I am going to have some issues with it due to previous attempts at proper repairs.

Took the top off the gas tank to find out why my turn signals are not working, uh-oh. Not a pretty site. Gently put the top back on until the weekend. Time to brush up on the hand signals, lol.

Hey ddoggma, I have a favor. Anyway you could send me more views of your bike? Yours is the same color as mine but I have some pieces missing. Any pictures can help me identify what is their and what is not.

My email is sc750virago@charter.net if you don't mind. If you can't, don't sweat it I am doing as much research on this bike as I can.

Thanks,

Don

hi Randy, did you drill a hole in your center stand and just use a bolt

to mount the metal wheel or did you have to put some type of bearing in?

Thanks Ron

Good idea Randy:thumbsup2:

I drilled a hole to take a sleeve large enough to accommodate an, I believe, 5/16 or 3/8th bolt, whatever the wheel inside diameter was. I then welded that in place and got at least a grade 8 bolt. The wheel came from a caster that I got at Northern Tool or someplace like that. The hardest part was centering the hole to where I got the proper clearance from the bottom of the foot to the bottom of the mounted wheel of about 1/8th inch.

I did not put a wheel on with a bearing because just a little grease will do fine. The bolt I used had an unthreaded area that was about the width of the wheel. I also used a locking nut and a thin spring washer to keep from rattleing.

RandyA

• Like 1

Got her up on the center stand with no problem. Used a combination of the 2 x 4, and pipe, and good shoes, lol.

Thanks to all for the great advice. I like to keep my bikes on the center stand to help keep the carb floats all hanging hopefully in the same spot and not leaning off to one side. Also keep the engine oil level. :Venture: