IGNORED

1ts supposed to be 1983 but got my doubts

dell

hi from England just got 1983 xvz1200 but not sure has some parts i bought dont fit vin JYA47T008DA000175 WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHEN THE BIKE CAME TO ENGLAND AND WERE FROM AND IS IT 1983 MANY THANKS DELLBOY WHAT A GREAT SITE THIS IS [could you let me know where i can get it dated]:hurts:

hi from England just got 1983 xvz1200 but not sure has some parts i bought dont fit vin JYA47T008DA000175 WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHEN THE BIKE CAME TO ENGLAND AND WERE FROM AND IS IT 1983 MANY THANKS DELLBOY WHAT A GREAT SITE THIS IS [could you let me know where i can get it dated]:hurts:

What kind of parts did you buy that don't fit? Side bags? Trunk? Those could have been replaced at some time in the last 27 years.

Joe

Hey Dell,

Welcome to the site! I think it's really cool when members from across the pond join.

Just an FYI, There are two types of First Gen. VR's, there is the MKI which was produced from 1983 to 1985, (which you have) and then there was the MKII which was produced from 1986 to 1993. (1994 in Europe) Some parts are interchangeable between the MKI and MKII VR's but many parts are not. When Shopping for parts, you need to look for MKI parts. That would be the safest bet.

Earl

Here's what I was able to find! Goes along with all the other posts.

http://www.motoverse.com/tools/vinDecoder/JYA47T008DA000175

Welcome and good luck.

Big Mike

It would be interesting to find out what parts don't fit. Pics would be a big help. Especially the LH grip and choke area. The VIN# indicates '83, but there were a few of the 84 models that were built and delivered prior to 84, that were assigned '83 Vins And.... welcome to the board... :thumbsup2:

I don't like to disagree with you good people but that bike is definitely a 1983 assembled in the USA

The JYA is Japan Yamaha America the DA in digits 10 and 11 indicates the assemly plant as USA the last part is the serial number 000175. it is the 74th of the production line.

When I called them to trace my Venture they told me the lowest number they have any racords for was 000175, that did not help me as my number is 000101 they did confirm that the numbers start at 000101 and run consecutively.

From the VIN number it looks like someone took the bike from the US to England

If you contact Yamaha America they may still be able to give you the name of the tirst owner.

I don't like to disagree with you good people but that bike is definitely a 1983 assembled in the USA

The JYA is Japan Yamaha America the DA in digits 10 and 11 indicates the assemly plant as USA the last part is the serial number 000175. it is the 74th of the production line.

When I called them to trace my Venture they told me the lowest number they have any racords for was 000175, that did not help me as my number is 000101 they did confirm that the numbers start at 000101 and run consecutively.

From the VIN number it looks like someone took the bike from the US to England

If you contact Yamaha America they may still be able to give you the name of the tirst owner.

Well, i don't like to disagree with you, but from what i know, they told you something wrong, at least about the first three Digits. Condor's right in my Book.

Edit

Condor and Black Owl are right in my Opinion

One telling sign that it is an early 83 would be the sidecover cut outs around the fuel petcock.

If it is like picture attached, and does not have cut outs for fuel petcock, it probably is an early 83.

The maroon bike is an early 83, no cutout in lower black portion of side cover, near passenger footrest.

The blue bike is a 84, the cutout can be seen in the side cover.

Gary

Never need to buy a book again load of reading here was told my bike was 1983 then toldmk11983-1985 then told could be 1984 modle with 1983 vin [could be] then told 1983 74th in assemble U S A then told no assembly plant in then U S A then two photo 1983 bike 1984 bike mine looks like the 84 bike but in gold ? the bike as only 30000 miles and greabox prefect do you guy reckon sec gear wil go love this site as a Cockney boy would say LOVELY JUBBLY ALL THE BEST DELL BOY:Cool_cool36::97:

'83 and '84 were both available in gold. Probably what Condor said, it could be yours is a "crossover" model year bike where the assembly lines started the '84 model bikes a bit early and they were sold and serialized as '83 models. This would also explain why you could buy '83 parts that didn't fit, if the parts were changed from '83 to '84.

Color Information is on the history page...

http://www.venturerider.org/modules/history/index.php

along with a picture of what may be your bike...

http://www.venturerider.org/images/83venture.jpg

The VIN sticker on the low right frame below the clutch cover will give you the manufacturers date of assembly, mine is titled an 84 but was built in October of 83. Vin is JYA 41R000EA001262. Hope this helps.........

Another way to check if it is an early 84 is to check and see if the vacuum line to the pressure sensor comes off below the front left carburetor or above it. Pull the left side cover off and check with a flashlight. I'm betting you have an 83 built in August going by the VIN of 008DA0000175. Check that sticker. THe only thing different between the 83's and the 84 & 85's i the way the vacuum comes off the carbs and the TCI

Edited by Dano

THe only thing different between the 83's and the 84 & 85's i the way the vacuum comes off the carbs and the TCI

There are also a number of subtle wiring differences from the 1983's to the 1984's & up.

The 83 has a fuel pump control control module.

The diode pack is different.

The turn signal wiring is completely different. The 83's had a separate turn, hazard and start relays. 84's had these built into the 41R relay.

Gary

OK, Here's an easy way to tell the 1stGen MKI model year no matter what the vin # is. No checking the wiring. No tearing into anything to check vacume lines. As long as the bike is stock and not modified, here's the rules of the road.

First off, if the bike has removable saddle bags it's a 1stGen MKI.

If the dash doesn't have a dimmer knob it's an '83.

If it does have a dash dimmer knob, and has a choke like the first pic attached, it's an '84. (only year like this)

If it has a dimmer knob, but a slider choke like the second pic, it's an '85. I know the '85 has a larger trunk, but without something to compare it to, it sometimes can be deceiving.

So using the comparisons above you can walk up to any 1stGen MKI and imediately ID the model year without having to do a thing.

Hope this helps.... :duck:

Never need to buy a book again load of reading here was told my bike was 1983 then toldmk11983-1985 then told could be 1984 modle with 1983 vin [could be] then told 1983 74th in assemble U S A then told no assembly plant in then U S A then two photo 1983 bike 1984 bike mine looks like the 84 bike but in gold ? the bike as only 30000 miles and greabox prefect do you guy reckon sec gear wil go love this site as a Cockney boy would say LOVELY JUBBLY ALL THE BEST DELL BOY:Cool_cool36::97:

Stick around Dell.... there'll be lots more.... :group cheers::sign20: