IGNORED

Gold Wing Passenger Arm Rests

bendtdj

Howdy all,

I seem to remember a post about certain Gold Wing passenger arm rests that fit a First Gen MK 1. I can not find it now. Does anyone remember this or have any info an the idea? I think Doreen would like to have a set on the bike. I have seen a couple of GW sets on ebay, but I don't know if they would fit.

Thanks,

Dave

Is this something like what you are talking about? I saw these on eBay last year listed for a VR but off of a GW. They caught my eye because I have something very similar but a different mount that the PO gave me when I bought the bike. They were not mounted and I never really looked into a way to bolt them up.

I'm looking for my pics of them but if I don't find the pics I'll post new ones later tonight.

Snaggletooth,

This is just what I am looking for! Doreen and I are new to the touring bikes and got in about 2500 miles on last summer after we bought the '84 last March. I think she would be up for some longer trips if she had the rests on the back.

Dave

Mike,

It almost looks like you need more parts to the brackets. Do these swing down or swing out? I can not tell from the photos. I'm not normally the most reliable source of information, so don't quote me. I am trying to talk Doreen into a long weekend in Omaha this summer, I hope I can convince her to do this on the bike!

Dave

Hey Dave.

It would be my guess that they would swing outward to let the passenger on then fold in to be in position. Never seen a set on a bike so just guessing. Hoping somebody here has some ideas on it.

I looked them over when I got the bike and checked all the boxes of stuff the PO sent along and never found anything that looked like it went along with them for mounting. Just hung them in the basement and never really thought about them again until I saw the eBay listing with the different brackets.

Maybe somebody will jump in here with their thoughts.

Sent a PM also.

Mike

Hey Dave.

It would be my guess that they would swing outward to let the passenger on then fold in to be in position. Never seen a set on a bike so just guessing. Hoping somebody here has some ideas on it.

I looked them over when I got the bike and checked all the boxes of stuff the PO sent along and never found anything that looked like it went along with them for mounting. Just hung them in the basement and never really thought about them again until I saw the eBay listing with the different brackets.

Maybe somebody will jump in here with their thoughts.

Sent a PM also.

Mike

Mike,

Send them to me and I will let you know how they mount.

I may even send you a picture back of them mounted.

:fingers-crossed-emo

Gary

Edited by dingy

There ya go Dave........let Dingy figure it out then all ya got to do is catch him to get them!

Wait.......you got a blue MKI......shouldn't be a problem. Just ask Yammer! :crackup:

It may be with these heads on the scooter & the FJR rear end.

BYE BYE

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/gdingy101/PICT5257s.jpg

Gary

I have arem rest on my 2 get and they mount to the "grab bars" that are mounted to the fender and swing out as needed to get onto the back seat. Wife loves em. Not sure how your's would mount thoug.I ahve see them on a Hd and they mounted to the rear trunk and swung out from that point. I would think you would want to put in some wood blocks and steel plates to keep the bos from cracking from the weight it someone leaned on them too hard though.

Just my 2c

It is indeed blue! I have not really opened it up yet though. After reading that others have pulled the front end off the ground, I am not sure I want to try. I have gotten the front really light taking off solo. Don't DARE do it with wife on back. We are both really looking forward to warmer weather. I get so depressed walking into my garage and seeing the tarp over the bike.

I HATE WINTER!!!!!

Done ranting now.

Dave

Amen Dave.

It was -1 again here this morning. Gray and dull. Craters in the streets that would eat a VW.

Gonna need a dirt bike in the spring to get around if they don't get 'em fixed.

It's gotten so bad here in Omaha they have those big electronic road signs that tell you to slow down because of rough roads on the INTERSTATE!!! And they aren't kidding!!

Howdy all.

Snaggletooth (Mike) offered to sell me his arm rest and I agreed. They will be to me soon. :dancefool::dancefool:

Once I get them and devise a mounting system, I will post photos of the process. Doreen is excited to get these. She has said her arms sometimes tingle on the rides we have taken.

THANKS MIKE!!!!!

Dave

I have a set from a Goldwing that I was going to try and mount to the '89 until I came across aset that actually were made for the bike. I didn't put them on but if your interested in them let me know.

Hey Squidly,

What ya asking for them?

I just got a Drag Specialties backrest from a Gold Wing this winter off eBay and put that on my MKI. The mounting brackets were different but I had the right ones on hand already. It fit, but it's a bit tall. I'm going to take about two or three inches off and it should feel a bit better.

Arm rests would complete the package nicely I think. It would probably make my better half happy too.

Thanks, Bill

P.S. If anybody needs some Drag Specialties Driver's backrest mounting brackets for a 94 Gold Wing let me know.

• 4 years later...
I know this is a really old thread but, what was the final disposition on mounting early 80's GW arm rests on a MK1?

A couple weeks ago when Freebird was up dating the site, someone posted this very same subject. seems he found a set of armrests for a 1500 Goldwing on amazon.com for under $130.00 and fabricated mounts to fit them to his 1st gen. shortly after that his post disappeared. I bought a set from Amazon a couple days later and mounted them to my 2nd gen. Never did find that post again, don't know if it got deleted during the site change over or if someone pissed him off and he pulled it? :confused24: