IGNORED

How to find Yamaha bolt sizes...

BigBoyinMS

Every now and then someone asks what size a particular bolt is. Just thought it would be helpful to post this from another site. FYI, you can get the part# from most Yamaha dealer websites or here.

"How to get sizes of bolts from the part numbers...

The Yamaha microfiche shows the bolt size, you just have to know how to read it. Here is how it works...

The part number is broken down into 3 parts 99999-06012-00 is an example. The second part, which is 06012 tells you the size. That bolt is 6mm in diameter and 12mm in length. If the second part was 08024 the bolt would be 8mm in diameter and 24mm in length. The first part of the part number tell what type of part it is such as bolt, screw, washer etc. and last 2 digits generally determines the finish such as black, cad, etc"

Is there somewhere in that part number it shows the pitch of the thread ?

Not that i know of. But Yammi does not use fine Threads in M6 or M8, at least i haven't stumbled upon one so far. If so, be assured the Bolt is a special Shape and can't be replaced with a standard shape metric Bolt easily.

On the other Hand they have a Faible for M10x1.25 Threads. Lots of M10 Bolts are this fine Pitch, but not all of them. The only other Bolt i know of, which is fine Thread is the long right Side rear M10 Engine Bolt on 1Gen Vmax. This is M10x1.0. Doesn't make any Sense to me, but you know these Enigineers are special sometimes...

• 10 years later...
On 2/24/2010 at 4:01 PM, Squeeze said:

Not that i know of. But Yammi does not use fine Threads in M6 or M8, at least i haven't stumbled upon one so far. If so, be assured the Bolt is a special Shape and can't be replaced with a standard shape metric Bolt easily.

On the other Hand they have a Faible for M10x1.25 Threads. Lots of M10 Bolts are this fine Pitch, but not all of them. The only other Bolt i know of, which is fine Thread is the long right Side rear M10 Engine Bolt on 1Gen Vmax. This is M10x1.0. Doesn't make any Sense to me, but you know these Enigineers are special sometimes...

Its very simple really, M10x1.25 means its a 10mm diameter bolt and the 1.25 is the millimeters  between two threads from peak to peak. There for a bolt M10x1.0 is a finer thread than M10x1.25 or M10x1.5 which is even a courser Thread. where as SAE indicates  the number of threads per inch. So in metric the lower the second number the finer the were with SAE bolts the higher the number the finer the thread.

The nice thing about metric bolts you can actually use a pair of calipers to measure the diameter and length of the bolt as well as the distance between two threads to tell you exactly what bolt you need.

Edited by saddlebum