IGNORED

My first ride on a 2007 Midnight Venture

I've ridden a motorcycle since 14 years of age. Got a motorcycle license shortly after I turned 16. Didn't have a car license till I turned 19. Bikes ridden include : Suzuki T250 70's model(wish I had it back), 175 Yamaha Enduro, 1969 honda 350 (extreemely top heavy) 197? 650 triumph(shifter/brakes on wrong side), Yamaha RD 400 (last 2 cycle street, twisted speedo cable off) 2000 Rm 250 Suzuki(wild ride above 5000 rpm), 2002 DRZ 400 Suzuki(to heavy for woods riding), 2005 Vstar 650(perfect well balanced 300 mile bike), 2007 Midnight Venture.

Now that you know my backround, my first impresssion of the 07 RSMV was that she was heavy. After 5 mph it all went away. I felt like I was riding my 650 V-Star. That is until I foolishly tried a "leaning " 180 turn on a narrow back road. I ALMOST dropped Her! This bike is a wonderful ride, but, you must keep in mind her sweet spot. If you get more than 3 inches off center below 5 mph , you better have long, strong, leggs. I just about dropped her doing a 180 on a narrow back road that I could have rode 360's on my 650 V-star on all day long. Other than that, I was truely impressed. I've ridden Harleys and I must say I like this bike much better. Never rode a Honda GW. Notes: felt the wind from the top of my kee cap to about 6 inches below on my shin. Probably good in the summer but bad in the winter. Rest of body was well protected. Windshield is slighty above eye level. I can straighten up and look over stock windshield in the rain. I am 6' tall with a 29 inch inseam. Can hold this bike up flatfooted.

I'll write more later. Would definately purchase this bike again. Might try the risers to improve the slow speed turning characteristics though.

Welcome!

I would definitely suggest that you take some time to get used to the way it handles before you go and add risers or whatever. Also, if you haven't taken a look at the 'Ride Like A Pro' videos (or taken an MSF saftey course) to learn how to effectively use the combination of the friction zone (within the clutch) and rear brake for low speed maneuvering, you'll be in for a treat.

It took me some time but I can u-turn my rsv on a 2-lane road all day long now (after some practicing in a clean parking lot with the proper technique). I was real concerned after my first ride about the 'top heavy' nature of the bike (just like almost everyone else in here... those that will admit it at least :stirthepot:).

You have certainly experienced your fair share of bikes. The RSV has its big pros and cons, just like any other bike on the market but sounds like you are pretty happy already!

Oh yea, what kind of tires do you have on it? I have heard that the stock bridgestones (I believe) are terrible for low speed handling.

Anyhoo - glad you like your bike... By the way, it is sortof a rule here that if you get a new bike, or do something to it, we need to see pictures :happy34:

Keep the rubber down and shiny side up :thumbsup2:

The tires are the stock Dunlop 404's? Same tire as on my 650 Vstar. No problems with em except that I only get about 8000 miles to a rear tire. Front gets about 12000 mi.. The bike i bought , Is a 2007 RSMV with 492 miles two helmets with intercom system(s) and a 12' x 6' v-nose aluminum trailer with side door and rear exit ramp for $1300.00. I believe that is an excellent deal.... I've been waiting a long time...:guitarist 2:

Good on ya, I went from a 1100 VStar (lowered) to this 2006 Midnight and had the same 'wow, this is top heavy' routine and yes, this IS the only bike I've ever had to lower to the ground in all of my riding career.. hehe.

One of the things you'll want to look at is getting some "Leveling Links" installed. These replace the OEM dogbone links under the shock strut to raise the rear of the bike slightly to give you a better rake and trail configuration on the bike. It will be like riding a whole new different bike altogether. Installation is painfully simple and not very expensive.. I believe you can get them for $40 or buck? Of all the mods and changes you can do to a Venture, this is the one you'll notice the most.. well worth it.

Because this is an older bike, I will assume you bought it used? Do you know the maintenance record of this bike? If not, do yourself a HUGE favour and replace the fuel filter as soon as you can.. It should be done once a year but it's a pain in the assets to access and most people won't bother changing it.. and it WILL cause you some issues later on down the road. Get it over with it and change it out soon.. Run some "Seafoam" through the system as well, to be nice to your bike..

if you're able to get the bike up on a stand, check the neck bearings to make sure they are not too loose.. a typical check is to push the bars from side to side until they hit the stops. A good setup will allow the bars to hit the stops once and bounce... and come to a rest.. if your bars bounce several times, they may be too loose and can affect your handling.. there are articles here how to do a poor man's tightening which again help the bike's handling..

Good luck with the bike, it's an impressive machine.. I honestly wish I jumped into one of these ages ago.. I bought mine used and LOVE it..

Guest tx2sturgis
The bike i bought , Is a 2007 RSMV with 492 miles two helmets with intercom system(s) and a 12' x 6' v-nose aluminum trailer with side door and rear exit ramp for $1300.00. I believe that is an excellent deal.... I've been waiting a long time...:guitarist 2:

Hell of a deal. Bike and trailer for $1300?

Gotta be a typo.

:puzzled:

Yes, Leveling links is what I need. I referred to them as risers, but risers are for the handlenbars. No major problems, but I prefer perfection as it prertains to control of a motorcyle, and nothing less ...

I'm only 5'8" with a 30" inseam and I have risers on my bars as I prefer a nice sit back position to ride.. all day long.. hehe..

Yes, Leveling links is what I need. I referred to them as risers, but risers are for the handlenbars. No major problems, but I prefer perfection as it prertains to control of a motorcyle, and nothing less ...

The leveling links will raise the rear of the bike about an inch, or you can lower the front end by an inch, by pushing the fork tubes 1" up into the triple tree. Makes about the same geometry change and improves the slow speed handling, at least in my eyes, a great deal. Since I am blessed with a 27" inseam raising the bike ANY was out of the question, so I lowered mine, in the front.

I like it!!! :p I still can only get both heels down at the same time when 2 up, but at least I'm not on both tippy-toes when 1 up. :yikes:

Thanks,

might try "both" fixes as I'm a contol freak.... leviling links and lowering the forks in the triple clamps by on nch. I spent a fortune on my Drz 400 suzuki lowering it... and it was still to heavy, and out of control, thats why I bought the RM 250 , Point and rotate the throttle, thats all, that, bike took !

Thanks,

might try "both" fixes as I'm a contol freak.... leviling links and lowering the forks in the triple clamps by on nch. I spent a fortune on my Drz 400 suzuki lowering it... and it was still to heavy, and out of control, thats why I bought the RM 250 , Point and rotate the throttle, thats all, that, bike took !

I don't think that doing BOTH will give you the results you are looking for. If you look closely at these bikes, you will, see that they sit a bit low in the rear. Adding the leveling links OR lowering the front end levels the bike and greatly improves handling. If you do both, the bike is still going to sit low in the rear and, I think, defeat the purpose. If you are inseam challenged, then lowering the front is probably the way to go. If you can handle the rear being raised a bit then that is the way to go. I have the leveling links and love them but I'm pretty tall.

thats $13,000.00 as in thousand................. sorry for any confusion ........$1300.00 wouldn't even buy the trailer...

I bought my used 2006 Midnight with 20,000 miles on it in 2008 for around $11,000 cdn which was a good deal.. but I had to do a lot of minor mending and adjustments to it to make it perfect.. But YOU got a spiffy trailer with it as well?

Dang.. wash off that horse shoe and send it up here.. ;)

take some time and go through this site...there is tons of info from lots of people that can help you make decisions as to what you can/should do to make this bike what you want it to be.....also, you will learn the strengths and weak points.......i like this bike more every year...

A few things I did to help was to replace tires. The tires makes a big different I tried many others but always come back to the Avon's. I'm on my 5th set of Avon's, It's a lower mileage tire but a more soft, gooey tire. I feel it grips better on all surfaces. Going to the slimmer tire in the front give the bike a lot more control at lower speeds and great turnaround control. But on the free way at 80 mph it seems to drift a little. But over all for now I'll stick with the slim tire in the front.

Front stock: Avon Venom-X AM41 150/80HB-16

Front slim MT90HB-16 (Slim) (130/90HB-16)

Note: some Dealerships will not install the slimmer tire.

This tire is 1" narrower than stock, but the same diameter.

Bike sits exactly the same height front and rear.

Rear stock: Avon Venom-X AM42 150/90HB-15

Southwest Moto Tires ships free of charge for two or more tires anywhere in the lower 48 states. Prices are pretty comparable to other discounters. Service is excellent. http://www.swmototires.com

Go up on top and do a search on Avon Venom Tires, all the info will be there.

:080402gudl_prv:

www.ridelikeapro.com and you'll be dragging the floorboards doing u-turns without dropping that big bike. The engine is much stronger and more capable of keeping the bike up than you are. Use the engine,not your legs.....

What he said...also, stay OFF the FRONT brake at low speeds or....well if you don't you'll find out:o. Welcome aboard. There are Great folks here and all the info you could want on these great machines. Yeah, they ARE heavy (I still cring sometimes at low speed maneauvers:D) but practice will help. Keep 'er in the friction zone and control with throttle/rear brake and she'll do more than you think she can!

Welcome aboard Captainjoe. Always good to ahve another West Virginiain here, especially on another Midnight Venture. The haevy weight you will get use to fast, its just a matter of time. I love mine and wouldn't have anything else. Hope to catch up with you on the WV roads sometime this summer.... :biker:

Hey Skid, I'm about 6 miles north of Ripley WV, stop on by. Perhaps we could ride to one of these M&E's.

The weight wasn't a problem till I tried to turn her around on a narrow road and you know what the burm of the road is like right now with all this snow melt. So, after realizing I wasn't going to make it, I tried to cowboy it by really leaning into it, but probably should have rolled the throttle on a little more. Lets just say I learned thats something you don't want to do on this bike when your going 3-5 mph. My wife and I want to take that advanced motorcycle course up at WVU Parkersburg campus.

I need a little/LOT of slow speed turn practice on her.

Have you or the guys ever taken a trip to the New River Gorge bridge? You can drive below it and watch the white water rafters.

Freebird,"don't think that doing BOTH will give you the results you are looking for. If you look closely at these bikes, you will, see that they sit a bit low in the rear. Adding the leveling links OR lowering the front end levels the bike and greatly improves handling. If you do both, the bike is still going to sit low in the rear and, I think, defeat the purpose. If you are inseam challenged, then lowering the front is probably the way to go. If you can handle the rear being raised a bit then that is the way to go. I have the leveling links and love them but I'm pretty tall. "

If I lower the front, and, raise the rear(leveling links), wouldn't the seat end up being about the same level as it is now? Or are you thinking that by doing both, it would raise the back of the bike too much?

Freebird,"don't think that doing BOTH will give you the results you are looking for. If you look closely at these bikes, you will, see that they sit a bit low in the rear. Adding the leveling links OR lowering the front end levels the bike and greatly improves handling. If you do both, the bike is still going to sit low in the rear and, I think, defeat the purpose. If you are inseam challenged, then lowering the front is probably the way to go. If you can handle the rear being raised a bit then that is the way to go. I have the leveling links and love them but I'm pretty tall. "

If I lower the front, and, raise the rear(leveling links), wouldn't the seat end up being about the same level as it is now? Or are you thinking that by doing both, it would raise the back of the bike too much?

Well heck...I kind of had my head up....well....where the sun doesn't shine. I have the leveling links and they raise the bike about an inch. Then I saw you post about lowering your own bike and mixed everything up. I was thinking that you don't want to LOWER both ends but that is not what you are talking about. That being said, I just don't know how it would work to raise the rear and lower the front. To me it seems that it would be too much and the bike will actually be too high in relation to the front but to be honest, I've never seen anybody do this.