IGNORED

May-June Road Trip

Hi guys, my buddy and I are "venturing" out early this season, at the latter part of May to hit Rolling Thunder in Washington DC with our MC and from there we're booting it down to the Florida Keys and then back up and around through the top north east corner of Texas and back up through the middle back home.. we're taking roughly 3 weeks to do all this, to see as much as possible and hit as many states as possible.. 28 in all.

Starting from Halifax NS, entering the USA through Maine, we just want to hit the slabs and get some miles under our wheels. (love the highway riding..)

This is the link to the map lines we're planning on doing in order to loop around and hit as many states as possible (600k file) http://www.eastcoastphotos.com/venture/usa-trip-a.jpg

Obviously the red line makes no consideration to any actual highways along the way but mostly just shows the intended path we plan to take in order to get us through the areas to hit each state, even if it's just a corner chunk of it..

Has anyone done anything similar to this that might be able to point of a few features or areas we should see along this route? We won't have time to hit every beautiful back road there is out there but would like to hit the most popular ones like the Dragon's Tail etc..

We'll be hoping to run into as many friends as possible along the way.. we still owe Sky Doc and his beautiful missus another Rib Dinner =) And hope to be able to meet up with other Venture enthusiasts..

If you have any info or recommendations for sights to see, things to do, stuff to be aware of.. etc etc.. it would be much appreciated..

I did over 35,000 miles on the bike last summer.. I think I might try to surpass it this year.. because in 2011, I plan to do up the other 20 states I haven't visited on a bike.. (already did Hawaii and Alaska on a bike =)

Thanks in advance folks =)

Couple of Mississippi things that come to mind, the Vicksburg Military Park and the Natchez Trace Parkway. Not in Mississippi, but the WWII museum in New Orleans.

My Cell Phone # is in my profile, for when you come through the Jackson, MS area.

If you're planning on doing this on red roads, you might consider entering Indiana through the toe and going across 62/66 (Ohio River Road) then up through some National Forests.

If a variation on this sounds interesting let me or Dano know and we can set you up with some places to look at and go through on the way. My cell's in my profile and we're in the VR Assistance list.

If you're planning on doing this on red roads, you might consider entering Indiana through the toe and going across 62/66 (Ohio River Road) then up through some National Forests.

If a variation on this sounds interesting let me or Dano know and we can set you up with some places to look at and go through on the way. My cell's in my profile and we're in the VR Assistance list.

Ah sweet, see this is the genre of information I'm looking for.. Each state has something to offer but if ya never been there, ya wouldn't know.. =)

Thanks again! I'll most likely be in touch later on.

Cheers M8

Give me a shout when you know if you are doing Rolling Thunder. I might be able to get a M&E together. I would also do Rolling Thunder with you. I'm about 50 miles south of DC

Thanks Stud and jlh3rd, we drop you a line prior to the trip to touch base.. (what's an M&E?).. We have a couple of specific stops in PA to do (Sky Doc etc)

We're playing this trip by ear.. no set targets per day etc.. all we will be keep track on is the return trip home requirements.. if we take longer on this trip and can't get all those states under our belts, then by a certain date we need to know that we have to beat feet for home and get back to work to earn $$ for the next trip =)

tis the ONLY way to live.. hehe

Hi guys, my buddy and I are "venturing" out early this season, at the latter part of May to hit Rolling Thunder in Washington DC with our MC and from there we're booting it down to the Florida Keys and then back up and around through the top north east corner of Texas and back up through the middle back home.. we're taking roughly 3 weeks to do all this, to see as much as possible and hit as many states as possible.. 28 in all.

Starting from Halifax NS, entering the USA through Maine, we just want to hit the slabs and get some miles under our wheels. (love the highway riding..)

This is the link to the map lines we're planning on doing in order to loop around and hit as many states as possible (600k file) http://www.eastcoastphotos.com/venture/usa-trip-a.jpg

Obviously the red line makes no consideration to any actual highways along the way but mostly just shows the intended path we plan to take in order to get us through the areas to hit each state, even if it's just a corner chunk of it..

Has anyone done anything similar to this that might be able to point of a few features or areas we should see along this route? We won't have time to hit every beautiful back road there is out there but would like to hit the most popular ones like the Dragon's Tail etc..

We'll be hoping to run into as many friends as possible along the way.. we still owe Sky Doc and his beautiful missus another Rib Dinner =) And hope to be able to meet up with other Venture enthusiasts..

If you have any info or recommendations for sights to see, things to do, stuff to be aware of.. etc etc.. it would be much appreciated..

I did over 35,000 miles on the bike last summer.. I think I might try to surpass it this year.. because in 2011, I plan to do up the other 20 states I haven't visited on a bike.. (already did Hawaii and Alaska on a bike =)

Thanks in advance folks =)

Man, now that's a ride!!! It sure sounds like a lot of fun. One day I'm going to do something similar. Ride safe and keep the shiney side up!!

i have found that when i do my trips...not planning stops is the greatest way to travel.......which leads to ending up in unique places to stay......and i'm trying to get to a rolling thunder... M&E means "meet and eat"

AWESOME!! M & E's are similar to what our club does..

WE are an "eating club with a riding disorder" lol.. TOO funny..

The way you describe your trips is basically how we're going to be doing ours.. 1st target down to Key West Florida and what ever else in between, then to the NE corner of Texas and meander our way north and east again.. basically like that.. =)

AWESOME!! M & E's are similar to what our club does..

WE are an "eating club with a riding disorder" lol.. TOO funny..

The way you describe your trips is basically how we're going to be doing ours.. 1st target down to Key West Florida and what ever else in between, then to the NE corner of Texas and meander our way north and east again.. basically like that.. =)

IF you are coming all this way and dont make the hill country (West of Austin,San Antonio) you are going to miss some of the best riding in Texas...Let me know if you do come this way as I work week on week off and could take you guys to some fantastic places not far from my house. Of course accommodations are included. Tom

...depending on how much you like being by the water (I do), I've found Cape Cod, Chesapeake Bay Bridge, Outer Banks so enjoyable I've done them 2 or 3 times each over the last 5 years. And there's so much more on a trip like this that you'll never get to see covering so much territory in so little time, BUT I know the feeling to just put down the miles too. Have a great ride.

IF you are coming all this way and dont make the hill country (West of Austin,San Antonio) you are going to miss some of the best riding in Texas...Let me know if you do come this way as I work week on week off and could take you guys to some fantastic places not far from my house. Of course accommodations are included. Tom

OOH.. don't cha hate invites like that eh? lol.. We'll be web portable when on the road.. and should be able to keep in touch through here.. it would mostly depend on our progress and time frame to see if we can make it to that part of TX, M8.. I hope so.. hehe.. might as well try to make it down to the Mexico border and say hi.. =)

Many thanks M8.. much appreciated.

...depending on how much you like being by the water (I do), I've found Cape Cod, Chesapeake Bay Bridge, Outer Banks so enjoyable I've done them 2 or 3 times each over the last 5 years. And there's so much more on a trip like this that you'll never get to see covering so much territory in so little time, BUT I know the feeling to just put down the miles too. Have a great ride.

LOL dood, we live ON the Ocean right here.. surrounded by water in Nova Scotia.. LOVE the water.. Last May my buddy and I did that region you described.. 90'F that noon hour and by supper time we were freezing in 36'F weather in NH LOL.. wow..

LOVE that time of year..

Having shared all this, please, anytime any of you folks are coming up to Nova Scotia, drop me a line.. I usually have waaaayyy too much time on my hands in the summer and would love to meet up with some fun riders..

Cheers

Now there's an offer I've been waiting over 30 years to hear. My last trip to the east coast on bike was in 78 on my brand new CB750....so I need to do that little new bridge they built to the island.

:bagpipes-emoticon:

Would have loved to do the trip but already have one planned form 5/5/2010 to 5/16/2010. Going to ride from Wv to the Florida Keys then head up to the Cape for a shuttle launch on May 14th.

You might want to leave a little earlier and catch the view as there are only a few shuttle launches left. The causeway sells out 6 weeks before a launch. So be forewarned.

if you come thru birmingham, al just let me know. will try and meet up with you for a ride around town. several things to see here . www.29dreams.com and http://www.barbermotorsports.com/museum.php ya'll can come into the state on hwy 25 go right by my house and on to 29 dreams and then onto barbers. ya'll can take hwy 280 east down thru ga and fl, thats a nice ride too. download the venturerider assistance list for the states ya'll going thru incase you need help or riding partners. are ya'll going to try and post links along the way? good luck and have fun, thats what it's all about, don.

Now there's an offer I've been waiting over 30 years to hear. My last trip to the east coast on bike was in 78 on my brand new CB750....so I need to do that little new bridge they built to the island.

LOL I'm in Halifax and people don't understand why we show up in Charlottetown for lunch.. "why not".. we did all the little diners in Nova Scotia.. =) That's whats fun with a Venture.. go for lunch.. be back tomorrow.. =)

Last year, I showed up at my buddy's place and asked him if he wanted to go out for a coffee.. we returned 10 days later lol

Would have loved to do the trip but already have one planned form 5/5/2010 to 5/16/2010. Going to ride from Wv to the Florida Keys then head up to the Cape for a shuttle launch on May 14th.

You might want to leave a little earlier and catch the view as there are only a few shuttle launches left. The causeway sells out 6 weeks before a launch. So be forewarned.

Awww crap.. we cant leave that early.. I wish I had known though, we could have planned it earlier.. dang..

if you come thru birmingham, al just let me know. will try and meet up with you for a ride around town. several things to see here . www.29dreams.com and http://www.barbermotorsports.com/museum.php ya'll can come into the state on hwy 25 go right by my house and on to 29 dreams and then onto barbers. ya'll can take hwy 280 east down thru ga and fl, thats a nice ride too. download the venturerider assistance list for the states ya'll going thru incase you need help or riding partners. are ya'll going to try and post links along the way? good luck and have fun, thats what it's all about, don.

Ya'll huh? lol.. EH?

depending how the trip goes and what we'll be doing, I plan to post to the message board along the way.. (WiFi thru iPhone works awesome)..

I'll grab that list, thanks =) never thought of that..

Looks like you will miss our beautiful state all together! The ride through IL and IN will look a lot alike (flat and lots of corn fields). If you change your route and come through Lexington, KY (home of the UK Wildcats) (Go Big Bule) you will pass through some of the most beautiful horse country in the world. I can also provide food and lodging as well as sites to see. Let me know if you change your route and come our way.:thumbsup2:

Looks like you will miss our beautiful state all together! The ride through IL and IN will look a lot alike (flat and lots of corn fields). If you change your route and come through Lexington, KY (home of the UK Wildcats) (Go Big Bule) you will pass through some of the most beautiful horse country in the world. I can also provide food and lodging as well as sites to see. Let me know if you change your route and come our way.

We both spent time out in Saskatchewan so we know what it's like live out in the prairies.. a nice quiet stillness about it.. actually looking forward to that part of the trip in IL and IN.. But yes, we are indeed passing through Kentucky.. a small part of it mind you.. coming up from Arkansas, Tennessee and Missouri..

What part of Kentucky are you referring to? A lot of this trip is incidental to our RTD date..