IGNORED

speaker upgrade pics

i put a set of polk audio db 401 speakers in the front and rear of my rsv, last year and never got around to posting pics. here they are and i hope they will help you.

purchase some wire terminal ends that fit the speakers before you start the project along with some two sided tape to reatatch rear arm rest covers, and note that the screws under the rear armrest are different in length. solder all your connections e-mail with any questions??

mike

Well done, I installed these speakers in mine the year before and to be honest, I didn't 'hear' any improvement, they were certainly not louder.. Playing radio / mp3 from my Polks next to an OEM bike speakers, you can't tell the difference. However, I changed mine out as one of my OEM speakers were shot so why not.

Did you find a large improvement or just a slight one?

Big believer in cones and the Polk’s were a huge upgrade!

Oh dear... one more thing to order before buttoning up the bike this spring.. =)

You wouldn't have the P/N for these would you?

Cheers

NOTA: I found the P/N at Crutchfield.ca as "237XT40"

Not expensive so I'll give them a try..

Though I wanna find out more about adding an amp to the system ;)

Edited by Seaking

In the early 90s I installed a set of Polk Audio 400 series speakers in my First Gen. I also added a small (by today's standards) Alpine power amp. By themselves the speakers decreased the volume out. Combined with the amp they made a huge difference. I was able to run the volume knob at half what I had before with about the same sound level out. Of course I could also crank it up nicely.

This change also greatly reduced the distortion levels out of the stereo. The sound was much cleaner with the stereo running at 1/3 volume acting as a pre-amp rather than running 2/3 and doing it all.

Eventually I plan on removing the cassette and putting an amp in its place with gauges replacing the face plate. If I can find an amp that'll fit.

• 1 year later...
Crutchfield sells 'cones' for these speakers which fit behind them, apparently they push the sound forward more, prolly making it sound better.. ?

Sorry to reopen an old thread but just wondering.... putting a cone behind the speaker... does water get into it or how does it "breathe ?