IGNORED

Question concerning second gens vs first gens

Chaharly

Im a Die Hard 1st genner and When I had the opportunity to ride Squidley scoot and destroyed in Arkansas :crying: Here's my evaluation:

The 2nd gen takes a wider turn coming out the driveway

The 2nd Gen does not handle the curves and I pushed it

The 2nd Gen does not have the feel of a Sport Tourer as the 1st Gen

I found it is harder to stop

Its comparing apples to Oranges

The 2nd is is very comfotable . And when I rode it felt like I was riding a Harley ( just the name of it)

In other words you need to own both:thumbsup2:

I've had an '85, an '87 and now the '06

The '85 handled the best and it was the fastest. I could really push that bike in the corners and still feel comfortable and confident.

The '87 wasn't quite as good in the corners and I didn't feel comfortable when pushing it to higher speeds. I had the '85 up to 215 km/h (133 mph) ... took the '87 to 180 km/h and just didn't feel good about going faster.

The '06 does not have the "oooomph" that either of the other 2 did. I'm definately not as confident in the curves with it but I just installed a 130/90 front tire and haven't had a chance to test that out in the twisties yet. As for top end, been to 200 km/h with it and it's great...no worries about taking it higher.

I don't see that there is any way to compare the two bikes, as they are on completely different platforms, and therefore have no similar handling characteristics, at all. Both bikes are wonderful, but for very different reasons.

TERRY

Yes, they are completely different; however, that in itself is a "comparison" .... as in "this one is completely different" so that being said we are simply comparing apples to oranges and noting the "comparative differences". If we did this with 2 identical bikes such as 2 '06 RSMV's (which of course are the nicest and fastest of all the 2nd gens :witch_brew: ) then we are comparing apples to apples.

Am I getting too "teschnikal" ? .... maybe I need to find some work to do... either than or go take a ride LOL

(it's the PMS so plz forgive me) :crying:

I always feel like the "handling" of a given bike is always subjective. A person that owns a bike they love will always talk of how well it handles, or turns into a corner, etc. etc. This thread is no different than the many I've pondered over on the BMW forums, and it's a perfect example. Already one person has said the 2nd Gen is the better handler, and another says the 1st Gen. I really think it comes down to an individuals riding preference, style, and ability.

Now don't get me wrong, I do believe a motorcycle's handling characteristics can vary greatly depending on suspension, weight distribution, etc., but I believe you can take two different bikes, and have them tested by two different people, and they're going to have differing opinions on the various aspects of their "handling".

Just my thoughts.

I always feel like the "handling" of a given bike is always subjective. A person that owns a bike they love will always talk of how well it handles, or turns into a corner, etc. etc. This thread is no different than the many I've pondered over on the BMW forums, and it's a perfect example. Already one person has said the 2nd Gen is the better handler, and another says the 1st Gen. I really think it comes down to an individuals riding preference, style, and ability.

Now don't get me wrong, I do believe a motorcycle's handling characteristics can vary greatly depending on suspension, weight distribution, etc., but I believe you can take two different bikes, and have them tested by two different people, and they're going to have differing opinions on the various aspects of their "handling".

Just my thoughts.

Absolutely!!! and that applies to many other things as well .... take for instance my last girlfriend..... :rotf: :rotf:

I've never ridden a 2nd gen (I'm afraid I'd have to buy one) but here is what I know/guess.

- Rider position on a 2nd gen is lower, reducing the center of gravity and improves stability

- Foot position on a 2nd gen is forward, more comfortable but reduces control

- Second Gen has more trail (guess). Improves stability at high speed but makes low speed turns more sluggish and contributes to a "top heavy" feel.

I know that when I ride with 2nd gens they have trouble keeping up in a tight turn and tend to go wide. That's where I get my suspicion that they have more trail.

It has a lot to do with what you want out of a scoot,

once you get used to one and adapt to it, how the two units marry together (you and the scoot),

condition of the suspension, steering, engine tuning, tires and pressures, weight distribution

and of course the most important part,,,,,,, the color. If it ain't brown, it's not fast,,,enough.

What Charlie (E-fishin-C) said!!

I find the 2nd gen slower, top heavy, and needing 40 acres to turn that rig around. I do find the riding position much better and at highway speeds extremely comfortable, with no problem riding all day...

I hve a 99 and I can make a figure 8 in my street with it. Can do a turn on any road. Just have to learn how to handle it but a 130 tire on the front alos helps.

my :2cents:

The handling of a bike is 70% rider skill and 30% bike. Anybody can ride a bike. But riding it to it full potential requires skills most of us don't have. Only racers have that edge. As Charlie said your comparing apples to oranges, they just happen to have a core that's the same. EVERYTHING else about the bikes is different all the way down to the tire size.

I've owned both Ventures 1983 model and 2003 model. Both bikes are totally different. And I have to say both bikes handle great for me, I had no trouble in turns or curves with either bike. other than being top heavy these Ventures handle really good. I recommend both Ventures to anyone.

I would have to say the Second Gen. gave us more seating and more leg room

I hve a 99 and I can make a figure 8 in my street with it. Can do a turn on any road. Just have to learn how to handle it but a 130 tire on the front alos helps.

my :2cents:

Agreed! And a lowering kit makes a world of difference as well for the same principal. Mother tried out my 2nd Gen at the International last summer and discovered the same problem, you need extra room to do a U turn especially if it is fairly new to you. I can almost to a lock to lock figure 8 with the 1st gen but am still a little leary of my 2nd gen. Mute point seeing as it is going to be a trike in another month...