IGNORED

Fav Book

dunvilsteev

Being a snowbound retiree I do spend quite a while with my nose buried in a book.

So I was wondering - WHAT ARE YOUR FAVOURITE BOOKS?

Mine are:

Mystery - The Sculptress by Minette Walters

Horror - 'Salems Lot by Stephen King

Fantasy - The Stand by Stephen King

Sci-Fi - Perdido Street Station by China Mieville

Biography - Willie Nelson Story

Bike Book - Fallen Angel , Long Way Round

Magazine - Cycle Canada

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite Sci-Fi would be Robert Heinlein's "Stranger in a Strange Land" which I read in the 6th grade.

Fantasy: Robert Asprin's "Myth" series.

Faction: (A work of fiction using factual events, real people, etc.)

"Unintended Consequences" by John Ross. I read this as the author wrote it. He was posting it on a forum as he wrote it.

"Deep Winter" by Thomas Sherry

"Lights Out" by Halffast. (A eBook on the web)

I have no imagination, so I stick with the historical/biography books...

some of my favorite characters...

Robert E. Lee

Francis Marion

George Mason

Colin Powell

William Westmoreland

I've also read a few on the Mongols, Hell's Angels, and Pagans...

Not to mention, "Going Rouge" by Sarah Palin was a good read

Ben

I got turned onto science fiction many years ago with Heinlein's Glory Road and then read everything from him including Stranger in a Strange Land. Then read Clarke and Asimov. My favorite author right now would be Orson Scott Card. His Enders Game series is fantastic.

Wayne

Robert Ludlum spy series - fiction

Jean M. Auel Earth Children series - historical fiction

Louie L'Amour - I liked the Sackett series the best

Wilbur Smith - historical fiction southern Africa - The Courtney and Ballantyne series.

James A. Michener - Hawaii, The Source, Centennial, Chesapeake, Texas, Alaska, Caravans

So many books, so little time.

Here are a couple more I thought of:

C.S. Forester - Hornblower series - historical fiction in the Admiral Nelson era.

Ellis Peters - nom de plume of Edith Pargeter - Cadfael (monkish Sherlock, somewhat historical) mysteries in 12th century England. Many have been made into TV series and movies.

Dudley Pope - Nicholas Ramage series of historical sea novels in the Napoleonic war era.

Hmmm... seem to be a lot of historical novels there.

Edited by camos

THANKS FOLKS!!!

This is turning out better than I expected. Getting all sorts for my "To Be Read List". I love finding new or unheard of writers.

I did forget to mention Harlan Coben, quite a good mystery writer, uses the old Hardy Boys trick of ending each chapter with a little bang so you want to read on.

Hey if you Like sci fi and stephen king-- Try the Dark Tower ( The Gunslinger series) by stephen King Its a series of 4 or 5 books but its got a great story. Its got about everything- A bad a$$ gunslinger that travels thru time to save the world. May sound goofy but It was one of my ole time fav's

I did forget to mention Harlan Coben, quite a good mystery writer, uses the old Hardy Boys trick of ending each chapter with a little bang so you want to read on.

Some years ago my great Aunt left me a few boxes of books and a few were from the early 1900's for teen boys along the lines of the Hardy Boys. It was a totally different read from anything else because of the differences in language since that time. And the stereotypes would shock most people. One of the most interesting books that I read in a long time.

I also found some older stories online. Many were by Horatio Alger from the 19th century. Really interesting to see how life was for some in those times.

Favorite .. any of the late Tony Hillerman's books (mystery)

Also

Nevada Barr (mystery)

Frederick E Smith's 633 Squadron books

Alistair MacLean

John Steinbeck (it's been a while, but a "required" reading in high school led to reading pretty much everything else he wrote)

John Nichol's The Milagro Beanfield War

Two thumbs up for William Least Heat Moon's Blue Highways .. I think I'm on my 9th or 10th reading :)

Currently reading Neil Pert's Ghost Rider

Edited by FJR Rider

I seem to like epics.

So another vote for James Mitchener.

Non fiction history. Winston Churchill

I used to read a lot of science fiction. Heinlein, Asimov, and others

Recently read Gen MacArthur's auto-biography and had to rethink my previous negative opinion of him.

Used to read WWII aviation biographies/stories, like 30 Seconds over Tokyo, Flying Tigers, Battle of Britain, etc

My favorite author right now would be Orson Scott Card. His Enders Game series is fantastic.

Wayne

I've read quite a few of Card's works. I own and have enjoyed the "Ender" series. (really liked Enders Shadow)

Another good sci-fi series that I've rear and reread is The Vorkosigan Series by Lois Mcmaster Bujold. There are 12, I think, different books, and I've been able so far to only find and buy 8 of them.

I'm on a first name basis at our local used book exchange. I usually buy them in groups of 10 or so around once a month. I don't pay much attention to authors, going instead by title and jacket blurb.

I'll be on a western kick for a while and then move to sci-fi, then go to suspense for a month or two.

Of course as an Inspector I spend a gob of time in Code books and trades manuals. :bang head: