IGNORED

Having Dark Thoughts!! HELP!!

ken

I went last summer without having a ride parked in my garage (1st time in about 20 yrs) I worked hard a focused on getting another RSV. Had a few set back, wife laid off, my part time jobs hours cut, daughter needed a new car, getting her ready for college and so on... we all know how that goes, save a dollar and spent two. Anyhow things are looking up. I'll still go another summer with out a bike, but should be able to save a nice bit of change. Now lately I've been having thoughts about going back to an HD Ultra and I"m not really sure why. I know the RSV is more comfy and more roomy then the ultra, I know the RSV is water cooled and can go three time the miles over HD'S air cooled motor. i know the RSV is shaft drive vs HD's belt drive. I know a new RSV has a five year warranty over HD's one year, and I know I can pick up a two or three year old venture with low miles for around $10,000 to $12,000. What I don't know is why I'm having these bad thoughs of going back to HD!!! Maybe it's because the wife thinks HD is the way to go.?Mabey it's because Yamaha refuses to update? Or maybe it HD's six speed trans, or thier cd player? I just know I need help before the powers of the darkside take over!

'

nothing wrong with wanting an ultra - i'd have a street glide if i could afford two bikes - but the harley would be my second choice over my rstd....but that's just me. get what your heart tells you and if it breaks your wallet - then trade it in on something else.

Now lately I've been having thoughts about going back to an HD Ultra and I"m not really sure why. I know the RSV is more comfy and more roomy then the ultra, I know the RSV is water cooled and can go three time the miles over HD'S air cooled motor. i know the RSV is shaft drive vs HD's belt drive. I know a new RSV has a five year warranty over HD's one year, and I know I can pick up a two or three year old venture with low miles for around $10,000 to $12,000. What I don't know is why I'm having these bad thoughs of going back to HD!!! Maybe it's because the wife thinks HD is the way to go.?Mabey it's because Yamaha refuses to update? Or maybe it HD's six speed trans, or thier cd player? I just know I need help before the powers of the darkside take over!

'

I think you've answered most of your own questions. Not to do any Harley bashing (yes, I've ridden an HD ultra, no, it wasn't mine), but it depends on what you want. I moved from a 1st gen to a 2nd gen. Not because of the style but the seating position is better for me and my knees. We ride a lot of miles and the HD wouldn't be as comfy as my Venture, nor as smooth. The vTwin would also require more maintenance than my V4 and probably wouldn't last as long without major rebuilds. I know from my friends experience. But, we all ride what we choose so make yourself happy. Good luck and let us know what you decide to get.

I went last summer without having a ride parked in my garage (1st time in about 20 yrs) I worked hard a focused on getting another RSV. Had a few set back, wife laid off, my part time jobs hours cut, daughter needed a new car, getting her ready for college and so on... we all know how that goes, save a dollar and spent two. Anyhow things are looking up. I'll still go another summer with out a bike, but should be able to save a nice bit of change. Now lately I've been having thoughts about going back to an HD Ultra and I"m not really sure why. I know the RSV is more comfy and more roomy then the ultra, I know the RSV is water cooled and can go three time the miles over HD'S air cooled motor. i know the RSV is shaft drive vs HD's belt drive. I know a new RSV has a five year warranty over HD's one year, and I know I can pick up a two or three year old venture with low miles for around $10,000 to $12,000. What I don't know is why I'm having these bad thoughs of going back to HD!!! Maybe it's because the wife thinks HD is the way to go.?Mabey it's because Yamaha refuses to update? Or maybe it HD's six speed trans, or thier cd player? I just know I need help before the powers of the darkside take over!

'

Let face it M/C are depreciating Assets that we Riders Appreciate the feeling. Stop the financial amputation with the HD consideration and go with the long term smart money and performance and warranty RSV. Sweet dreams and goodluck :bowdown:

nothing wrong with wanting an ultra - i'd have a street glide if i could afford two bikes - but the harley would be my second choice over my rstd....but that's just me. """get what your heart tells you""" and if it breaks your wallet - then trade it in on something else.

"get what your heart tells you" And there's the problem. My heart say focus on another Ultra, BUT my brain says it make more sense to focus on another RSV! The RSV clearly make more economical sense, and dare I say the RSV is a better bike. I know this but yet the powers of the darkside are oh so powerful.:bowdown:

"get what your heart tells you" And there's the problem. My heart say focus on another Ultra, BUT my brain says it make more sense to focus on another RSV! The RSV clearly make more economical sense, and dare I say the RSV is a better bike. I know this but yet the powers of the darkside are oh so powerful.:bowdown:

Don't beat yourself up to bad. I'm feeling the same way. Looking on the net everyday at both. I think with me its the fact that Yamaha hasn't upgraded in years.

Don't beat yourself up to bad. I'm feeling the same way. Looking on the net everyday at both. I think with me its the fact that Yamaha hasn't upgraded in years.

OMG!!! I'm alway's going back and forth. I'll read an article on the HD and think "ok I'm going back to the Ultra" but the a few hours later I read something about ther RSV. You guessed it the RSV is then back on top. Well I guess I still have plenty of time. I would say about a year before I have enough cash to get really really serious.

Buying a HD Ultra and then buying a RSV is like going from Windows to Mac and never going back, buy RSV and never go back to HD? :think: My buddy bought HD ultra and said he should of kept his Goldwing. He complains all the time about the heat and the room.

Joe

Ken,

I know many aren't going to agree with me here, and thats fine. What do you want in a bike? if you want a superior stereo to listen to the Ultra is the bike, if your not into all the speed and just want to putter, the Ultra is the bike. Depending on your inseam, if it's shorter, the Ultra may fit you good. If you want all sorts of stuff to be able to upgrade your bikeH/D has got you covered. Just because you might buy a H/D doesn't mean you are going to turn into some of the boneheads that ride them.

For me it's the RSV, I love the seating position, I still like to kick it in the arse and feel that power. I like, for the most part, the styling of the RSV. It's a bulletproof machine and I have logged a LOT of miles on G2's. Would I like to see more improvement of the RSV...yep, do I wish it had a stereo as good as the Ultra, yep. When the time comes buy what you want and is within your budget. There are a few of us here with H/D's I like the nostalgia of owning an Electra Glide, a Shovelhead at that. My Grandfathers rode, and they had H/D's, it makes me feel a bit closer to them now that they are gone. You know that you'll be welcomed here no matter what you ride, so when the time comes, pick with your heart and you'll do just fine....after all, it's all about being in the wind isn't it :confused24:

No matter what some may say HD makes a good bike, with no more problems than any other model. Also they have all those cool shirts and such. I've often wished that there were dealerships with the type of items that an HD dealer has. If you want one get it. Life is too short.

Think of it as choosing between two women. One is very popular, especially with the rowdy crowd, tends to be high maintenance in cost and can be dressed up very attractively, even gawdy and usually ends up loud.

Then, the other is more reserved, unknown to the masses, very comfortable to be around, much lower maintenance with a much longer support function if any problems do occur. Then, there is that sleek, flowing, timeless beauty. And, when you are in the mood to feel that real exhilaration of power, and not just noise, she is there for you, over and over.

So, ask yourself, are you looking for that trophy lady or that one that wants you to be comfortable and secure? ;)

RandyA

I know the RSV is more comfy and more roomy then the ultra, I know the RSV is water cooled and can go three time the miles over HD'S air cooled motor. i know the RSV is shaft drive vs HD's belt drive. I know a new RSV has a five year warranty over HD's one year, and I know I can pick up a two or three year old venture with low miles for around $10,000 to $12,000. What I don't know is why I'm having these bad thoughs of going back to HD!!! Maybe it's because the wife thinks HD is the way to go.?Mabey it's because Yamaha refuses to update? Or maybe it HD's six speed trans, or thier cd player? I just know I need help before the powers of the darkside take over!

'

Hi Ken, Ya, I too think you answered your own questions somewhat. I, down deep, like the classic HD "look" but, I like the V4/shaft etc etc.for the long haul..of course $$ is what we all base a lot of decisions on and as you said, you'd be happy with a pre-owned so, it shouldn't matter if Yamaha hasn't up dated,,,sometimes it's not necessary to mess with what's working well! In addition, to rough quote Mr. Kawasaki (the financial wiz), "Buy what you can afford/like and ride/drive it till it wears out or becomes an embarrassment"! In just simple terms, the RSV in a "practical sense",,,,"Makes sense"! If it's image,,(I think "not" in your case),,,My RSV from a distance is hard to distinguish from a HD!....I've owned/ridden em all......I Like my RSV for more reasons than it's not a HD...!

Renne...............(former Nettles Lake Res...ha!)

Ken,

I know many aren't going to agree with me here, and thats fine. What do you want in a bike? if you want a superior stereo to listen to the Ultra is the bike, if your not into all the speed and just want to putter, the Ultra is the bike. Depending on your inseam, if it's shorter, the Ultra may fit you good. If you want all sorts of stuff to be able to upgrade your bikeH/D has got you covered. Just because you might buy a H/D doesn't mean you are going to turn into some of the boneheads that ride them.

For me it's the RSV, I love the seating position, I still like to kick it in the arse and feel that power. I like, for the most part, the styling of the RSV. It's a bulletproof machine and I have logged a LOT of miles on G2's. Would I like to see more improvement of the RSV...yep, do I wish it had a stereo as good as the Ultra, yep. When the time comes buy what you want and is within your budget. There are a few of us here with H/D's I like the nostalgia of owning an Electra Glide, a Shovelhead at that. My Grandfathers rode, and they had H/D's, it makes me feel a bit closer to them now that they are gone. You know that you'll be welcomed here no matter what you ride, so when the time comes, pick with your heart and you'll do just fine....after all, it's all about being in the wind isn't it :confused24:

As usual,Squid make's some good points. And he didn't :stickpoke:anyone this time. The warmer weather must be doing him some good. Think I'll send him some snow:whistling:

'

My '09 RSV S came with a 6-cd changer! And a cassette tape deck! WOW

Simply put and in all honesty, the bottom line! DON'T LET YOUR LITTLE HEAD SPEAK FOR THE BIG HEAD.:hurts: We all tend to get caught up the macho ego life of HD. I rented a Street Glide over Thanksgiving in Beamont, TX and took a ride to Galveston Beach with my Step Son on his Night Train, nice bike but the vibration wore me out after only a few hour ride. Liked the bike but then reality and logic set in and for long distance rides I'd never go back to HD. Before I'd buy a new Street Glide I'd take a very hard look at the new Stratoliner Deluxe because when I look in a mirror I want to see what I need to see, not a blurr.

Ken...use the "Force". :rotfl:

Buy a RSV:

• Pull the out tape deck and replace them with gauges

• Remove the rear wheel assembly and lube the driveshaft splines and pins in rear end
  • Remove the carbs and set the floats and then use your vacuum gauge set to balance

• Get rid of the stock tires
  • Add supports to the lower crash bars
  • Remove the stock windshield and add a Clearview

That's it!

Did I say buy a RSV? :duck:

I rented an Ultra for 2 days when I went to Hawaii. I rode the entire island and loved every minute of the ride. It's the first time I had ever ridden an ultra and I liked it ok. Different from my 1st Gen but I still liked the ride. My wife liked it ok as well. She said she could see a little better because of the way she sat but she was buffeted a little. The seat was a little cramped but it was pretty similar to the 1st Gen for her. After that week I actually put an Ultra on my possible list. I liked the sound and mystique of the HD as well. Then I got my '07 RSMV.

I wasn't in the market for a bike at the time but the price was something I couldn't pass up and the bike had a great deal of sentimental value. (That's another story) As soon as I spent some time on the RSMV I was hooked. There was NO comparison between it and the Ultra. Stronger, smoother and far more comfortable. As soon as my wife rode with me she was hooked as well. She had much more room and a far more comfortable ride on the RSMV. As for sound, I just put custom pipes on and I love it. I ride with a lot of guys that have Ultras and I wouldn't trade my '07 for any of them even if the HD was cheaper. The RSMV is just a better bike... period. I also do all my own work and the ease of maintaining the Yamaha engine means I spend more time riding and less time wrenching. I can't count the number of times I've been ready to ride with some of my HD friends and they couldn't come because their bike was in the shop. Not because it was broken down but for maintenance. While they take their bikes in to the shop for a day, I change the oil in 15 minutes and I'm in the mountains enjoying the wind.

To each his own but I have no interest in any other bike right now.

I would rather not even have the CD player. For between 5 or 10 bucks you can buy a cassette tape that hooks right up to your mp3 player, which is far more handy and safe than a bag of CD's. Even if it has a changer you can still get several thousand songs on an mp3 player. maybe 500 in a whole CD bag

Think of it as choosing between two women. One is very popular, especially with the rowdy crowd, tends to be high maintenance in cost and can be dressed up very attractively, even gawdy and usually ends up loud.

Then, the other is more reserved, unknown to the masses, very comfortable to be around, much lower maintenance with a much longer support function if any problems do occur. Then, there is that sleek, flowing, timeless beauty. And, when you are in the mood to feel that real exhilaration of power, and not just noise, she is there for you, over and over.

So, ask yourself, are you looking for that trophy lady or that one that wants you to be comfortable and secure? ;)

RandyA

I'm going to go buy another one!

Glenn

So many good points posted! I love the analogy randya used Think of it as choosing between two women. One is very popular, especially with the rowdy crowd, tends to be high maintenance in cost and can be dressed up very attractively, even gawdy and usually ends up loud.

So, ask yourself, are you looking for that trophy lady or that one that wants you to be comfortable and secure?

And then there’s the common sense approach 1canuck posted

Buy a RSV:

• Pull the out tape deck and replace them with gauges
  • Remove the rear wheel assembly and lube the driveshaft splines and pins in rear end
  • Remove the carbs and set the floats and then use your vacuum gauge set to balance
  • Get rid of the stock tires
  • Add supports to the lower crash bars
  • Remove the stock windshield and add a Clearview

Even after this I’m still torn between the RSV and the Ultra

Just go for it! The Harley will never loose it's value, its a good machine. I recently sold my 08 Harley Low Rider my my 07 RSTD, and I just love my RSTD and never looked back. But the Dyna was not meant to used for long halls and comfort. It was a good bar-hoping bike.

Go with your gut feeling and be happy.