IGNORED

Removing stuck vacuum hose

atlm

Any tips on how to remove a stuck vacuum hose without damaging it?

The rear vacuum hose (on the nipple to sync the carbs) is being really stubborn and doesn't want to come off. I tried rotating the hose on the nipple with a pair of pliers, which usually works to break hoses free, but the pliers started digging into the outside of the hose, and I don't want to damage the hose or put too much force and break off the nipple. I tried pushing it back (hard, which has also worked for me in the past on other vehicles) with a flat screwdriver levered on the fake cooling fins, but it just doesn't want to move.

On larger hoses, like radiators, I can slide a thin object in and around the mating surfaces, but there's no room to do that here. I was thinking of trying to let wd40 penetrate for a while, but thought I'd throw it out here to see if there's a simple trick I'm missing.

The vacuum cap came right off. Just the hose is being stubborn.

:confused07:

About the best thing you can do is work the tip of a 90 degree pick into the area and try to loosen it up. Is the hose hardened up that much? If all else fails you can split the very tip of the hose with a razor or Xacto blade and work it back then. Hopefully you would only have to cut a bit off and have enough slack to trim the line back a bit.

Maybe a little warm air from like a blow drier.

That's my bag of tricks.

Mike

I can't help much over what you have already done and what has been suggested. This is not that uncommon on these bikes the first time the carbs are synced, but the hoses usually do come off with a little rotating.

I would try a curved dental pick to slip inside the hose and try to break it loose - you can get a set real cheap at Harbor Freight. When you do get it off, if the hose is damaged in any way, make sure you trim it before you put it back on. This engine is real sensitive to even minor vacuum leaks; the engine will seem to run fine, but you will get exhaust popping on decel.

One other thing - not unheard of for those nipples to come out of the manifold when you are pulling on a stuck hose - if that happens, don't freak out. Just tapping it back in seems to work fine without any other sealant. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I have had luck on tight hoses, by pushing the hose on or towards the nipple which loosens the hose from the nipple then the hose can be twisted and removed. Pops the hose loose.

-

Any tips on how to remove a stuck vacuum hose without damaging it?

The rear vacuum hose (on the nipple to sync the carbs) is being really stubborn and doesn't want to come off. I tried rotating the hose on the nipple with a pair of pliers, which usually works to break hoses free, but the pliers started digging into the outside of the hose, and I don't want to damage the hose or put too much force and break off the nipple. I tried pushing it back (hard, which has also worked for me in the past on other vehicles) with a flat screwdriver levered on the fake cooling fins, but it just doesn't want to move.

On larger hoses, like radiators, I can slide a thin object in and around the mating surfaces, but there's no room to do that here. I was thinking of trying to let wd40 penetrate for a while, but thought I'd throw it out here to see if there's a simple trick I'm missing.

The vacuum cap came right off. Just the hose is being stubborn.

:confused07:

Edited by Shamue
more info