IGNORED

DIY Turn Signal Mod

jarrejx

I ran across this neat little idea on Delphi Forums (DIY Cruiser Forum) and thought it was an easy and inexpensive way to possibly enhance our visual presence on the road. The Radio Shack part cost 2.39 each and was the only cost associated with this modification. Here is the link that contains the pdf instructions for performing this mod. I do not know if you have to be a delphi forum member to read their posts, but if you have any problems accessing it, let me know and I will see about posting the copy I downloaded. Attached are several pix of the mod on MyPalomino.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=DIYCruisers&msg=11.1

Think I found it. It is 272-710 it looked like 277 to me on the pdf.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102795

Oops, still looking that one is RED we need Orange.

Nope I guess it was red after reading some of there post

Well, I'm getting older too, so we may both get it wrong! However, I think that, while the turn signal lens is amber and the new jewel lens is red, ambient light shining through the amber lens and the jewel may have an orange tint. At night, the jewels shine ruby red.

One person said something about using a single LED light.. Looking into that as well.

Jeff

Edited by Cougar

That IS cool.

But from a technical aspect (from one who spends a lot of time in his workshop doing OTHER things) it will be far easier to drill that 5/8" hole from the INSIDE of the reflector than it will be from the outside. Your drill bit will centre itself far easier in a depression than it will on an outer curved surface. And you'll be more accurate centering it on the bulb.

(But you already figured that!)

That IS cool.

But from a technical aspect (from one who spends a lot of time in his workshop doing OTHER things) it will be far easier to drill that 5/8" hole from the INSIDE of the reflector than it will be from the outside. Your drill bit will centre itself far easier in a depression than it will on an outer curved surface. And you'll be more accurate centering it on the bulb.

(But you already figured that!)

One should drill a small "pilot" hole first (either from inside or outside) ... appx 1/8 inch. It will make the 5/8 one easier, especially from the outside and the 1/8 will be a LOT easier from the outside. If you take a centre punch or something with a sharp point and give it a whack (not too hard) where you want the hole to be, the 1/8 bit will catch that and stay centred when you start to drill ... use a variable speed drill and start slowly and once the bit starts cutting you can pick up the speed (if drilling from the outside)

just my $0.05

One should drill a small "pilot" hole first (either from inside or outside) ... appx 1/8 inch. It will make the 5/8 one easier, especially from the outside and the 1/8 will be a LOT easier from the outside. If you take a centre punch or something with a sharp point and give it a whack (not too hard) where you want the hole to be, the 1/8 bit will catch that and stay centred when you start to drill ... use a variable speed drill and start slowly and once the bit starts cutting you can pick up the speed (if drilling from the outside)

just my $0.05

Totally agree with the 1/8" drill bit. But I would guess that the turn signal housing is plastic, not metal. So be VERY careful if you try a punch as it may crack your housing if it is very cold. I checked mine on the Honda (as it happen to be the closest at the time) and there is no magnetic pull at all with a magnet.

Maybe someone knows better but the last two bikes I had the turn signal housings were plastic (Don't ask me how I found that out).

Bryan

just my $0.05

Right on SilvrT. I started from the outside. I used a 1/8 inch drill bit as a starter hole then enlarged it with a 7/32 inch bit, without going all the way through. Just enough to make a crater in the housing that allowed the 5/8 inch bit to fit more securely into the starter hole without sailing across the surface. BTW, the housing is not 100% plastic but it is some type of plastic/metal composite. At least the shavings felt like there was some metal in it. Slow steady pressure should have the hole completed in a couple of minutes.

Another BTW for Cougar--I looked for yellow but the only colors they had at Radio Shack were red and green. My light has an orange hue because of the yellow/red mix of the turn signal and the marker lens.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest human4m

There's another option available... being a musician, the idea struck me when I read this post. Try using a jewel from a Fender amplifier. Readily available at your local axe shop, or online here: http://www.guitarnucleus.com/gnstore/ampparts.html for $2.99

They transmit light a bit better than the RadioSplat jewel, and they come with a cool chrome accent...

If you've got a few extra bucks in your pocket, order them from musician's friend, http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Amplifier-Jewel?sku=420518 they have a larger color selection. I plan on putting the blue dot in my tail light, (which I'm sure will result in lots of visits from the local boys in blue.)

:2cents:

Edited by human4m

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Think I found it. It is 272-710 it looked like 277 to me on the pdf.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102795

Oops, still looking that one is RED we need Orange.

Nope I guess it was red after reading some of there post

Well, I'm getting older too, so we may both get it wrong! However, I think that, while the turn signal lens is amber and the new jewel lens is red, ambient light shining through the amber lens and the jewel may have an orange tint. At night, the jewels shine ruby red.

One person said something about using a single LED light.. Looking into that as well.

Jeff

I used a 12 volt prewired LED and they work great. The one I used is made by Oznium... Ordered yellow and looks amber when lit. I drilled a 3/8 hole and filed to fit. Sealed the backside with silicone.

http://www.oznium.com/prewired-superflux

David