When I checked into the hotel this week, they told me that they were giving me a complimentary upgrade to a suite. That happens every now and then due to the number of nights that I stay at hotels during the year. It is a very nice suite with two huge rooms, refrig, micro wave, jacuzzi tub, etc. While it was a nice gesture on their part, it turned out to be a real pain for me because the Internet here is hard wired, not wireless, and the only ethernet jack is in the living room area behind the TV and even with the 16 foot cable that I carry with me, it would not reach anywhere that was comfortable to work online.

This has happened in the past but this time I was working on the VRAssistance list and ended up being on the computer for about 6 hours and it was miserable. I decided that it was time to remedy the problem.

I ended up buying an Airport Express wireless unit that is made by Apple. You simply plug this into the wall, connect it to the ethernet outlet in the room and it very easily creates a password protected/secure WIFI network. WOW...this thing works fantastic. It would also be a good option for the home if you have hard wired ethernet at home and wish to go wireless. I already have a wireless setup at home but if I were to do it again, I would go with one of these units because it is really simple to setup and works great.

So, last night I was able to lay in bed again and watch TV while connected to my own private wireless network setup in the other room. I LOVE it when a plan comes together. :)

The price was $109 at Best Buy and worth every penny. They may be available cheaper elsewhere but I didn't have time to shop around. It is sure worth the money though.

Edited by Freebird

Guest tx2sturgis

Yeah..Macs and Apple products 'just work'.

Actually several companies make functionally similar units, called 'travel routers'. They start at around $50...

So, last night I was able to lay in bed again and watch TV while connected to my own private wireless network setup in the other room. I LOVE it when a plan comes together. :)

Oh, that's a picture I didn't need in my head.

Freebird, in bed with his Power Rangers jammies on, texting away.

What is seen, cannot be unseen.

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/gdingy101/yellow_guy_crazy_hg_wht.gif

Gary

Edited by dingy

Oh, that's a picture I didn't need in my head.

Freebird, in bed with his Power Rangers jammies on, texting away.

What is seen, cannot be unseen.

:bang head:

Gary

Maybe just maybe he don't wear no jammies at all.

I have had that problem my self but I'm wondering how it handles sum of the connections.

there has bean a couple of times that you must go threw their start page to get to the Internet, if you unplug the connection you would have to start over to get back on.

I will check this out, it just mite be what i have bean looking for.

After using several different wireless routers, I got an Apple Airport Extreme. Like Don said, very easy to set up, and it works solid. It does not have all the internet accessable selections available with many routers, but the selections for setting up the router are straight forward, and done on your computer (vice through the internet).

Besides having wireless throughout the house for our computers, I also stream movies from Netflix via a wireless connection to my Blu-Ray DVD player. Nice. You might want to consider that too, Don.

Yep, Get rid of the wires. Its just easier. We actually run a complete business on a wireless ISP. No problems and we get 7mbps for around 500 a month. Then run a couple of Cisco Aironets inside. Some day all the wires will be gone and only wireless and fiber will be left.

I have had that problem my self but I'm wondering how it handles sum of the connections.

there has bean a couple of times that you must go threw their start page to get to the Internet, if you unplug the connection you would have to start over to get back on.

I will check this out, it just mite be what i have bean looking for.

When I left this morning to make sales calls, I left it here and plugged in but took my laptop with me of course. When I got back this afternoon, it still worked just fine. When I first connected and launched my browser, it did take me to their welcome page first but most hotels reset that connection every day so I normally have to do that anyway. Nothing different than being plugged directly into the ethernet port.