IGNORED

Powder coating wheels

Well I got a question, Im into Phase 2 of the Firefighter RSV and part of it is polishing the outside ring of the wheels and powdercoating the spokes the color of the bike. I think I know my answer but do I need to remove and replace the wheel bearings or can it be done without removing them. Dont really want to mess with them but If I need too I will.

Scotty

Well I got a question, Im into Phase 2 of the Firefighter RSV and part of it is polishing the outside ring of the wheels and powdercoating the spokes the color of the bike. I think I know my answer but do I need to remove and replace the wheel bearings or can it be done without removing them. Dont really want to mess with them but If I need too I will.

Scotty

Powder coating requires over 400F oven heat to do the job.. I did my VStar wheels a while back and had to remove 'everything' from the wheel in order to do the job.. Bearing will most likely have to be removed.. however, experts might be able to give you better advice..

• 2 years later...

I have purchased another RSV to repair. The last one is a 2005 midnight that I rebuilt to stock specs. This time I have purchased a 2003 midnight that I want to totally customize. I want to use the sock fairing and knee fairings but want to go single seat and bagless :rotf:I am planning on lowering it, V maxing it, custom pipes, different fenders and a slightly larger front wheel. Also I want to blacken some of the chrome like the rear fender supports, some engine pieces, and the chrome around the headlight and the trim between the windshield and fairing. Has anyone powdercoated chrome before and ifso did it stick well. I powdercoated a frame once before but I had it sandblasted first and the powder coat stuck like sprayfoam in your hair!! Also I realize you cant powder coat the plastic chrome due to the heating process but is there a way I can successfully paint the plastic chrome and have it stick well? Thanks in advance Rob

I have purchased another RSV to repair. The last one is a 2005 midnight that I rebuilt to stock specs. This time I have purchased a 2003 midnight that I want to totally customize. I want to use the sock fairing and knee fairings but want to go single seat and bagless :rotf:I am planning on lowering it, V maxing it, custom pipes, different fenders and a slightly larger front wheel. Also I want to blacken some of the chrome like the rear fender supports, some engine pieces, and the chrome around the headlight and the trim between the windshield and fairing. Has anyone powdercoated chrome before and ifso did it stick well. I powdercoated a frame once before but I had it sandblasted first and the powder coat stuck like sprayfoam in your hair!! Also I realize you cant powder coat the plastic chrome due to the heating process but is there a way I can successfully paint the plastic chrome and have it stick well? Thanks in advance Rob

You need to roughen the chrome up somewhat to give the powder coat a surface to adhere to. It should be blasted with sand, not glass bead or similar materials. The sand will cut into the chrome some.

I did a tach housing for Bubber last year and he had blasted it with sand before I coated it and it came out nice. I looked at some pictures of it and he took it down to bare metal actually.

Gary

Thanks gary. That is what I will do. Take it to the sandblast guy. I kind of figured that but was not sure if sandblasting would effectively take the chrome off. Now how do I transfer my chrome plastic into black? And also if I remove the chrome from the exhaust, blast it, and powder coat will the heat from the exhaust be to much for the powdercoat?

Chemical dip eh? Sounds interesting. I want to remove the chrome from the forks as well. I think I am going to have fun with this project! I am picking the bike up next Saturday and plan on having it done by next spring of 2013. Its going to be lots of work and $$$ but looking forward to it. The upper fork tubes are bent now so i will likely looking for new fork assys. I am wondering if I can use forks offf of another model that arent chromed already? Than i should be able to dissassemble them and powdr coat them black.

And also if I remove the chrome from the exhaust, blast it, and powder coat will the heat from the exhaust be to much for the powdercoat?

The high temp powder coat I am somewhat familiar with is a ceramic type material.

Look at columbiacoatings.com

I think it is first fired in an oven to preset it, then it is ran on the bike to heat it up far enough to permanently fuse it. Not positive. Also, I think it is more of a wet type application than the powder. Maybe.

Gary

The high temp powder coat I am somewhat familiar with is a ceramic type material.

Look at columbiacoatings.com

I think it is first fired in an oven to preset it, then it is ran on the bike to heat it up far enough to permanently fuse it. Not positive. Also, I think it is more of a wet type application than the powder. Maybe.

Gary

H ey Dingy. First of all thanks for your input. I apprecite it. If you ever have any FORD questions let me know. I have workd ford as a technician for over 20 years and work on all of them and really speciallize in the diesel. When I talked about powder coating the exhaust I am referring to the chrome cover that extends the length of the pipe, not the actuall innerpipe. This chrome one is more for appearence and a heatshield. Also thanks Freebird for your input. This is going to be a large project especially since its going to be a custom and I will be looking for your advice. Rob

Hey dach I was thinking of covering the chrome completly with a black but after watching that video I think I really like that. Being there using it on a wheel I imagine the product sticks pretty well. going to try and get some and put it through the test before committing my bike project with it. Thanks for the tip. When I find some I will try some on my truck somewhere and see how it holds up. The price is definatley right.:cool10:

I am very surprised at the mask used in the demo video for Dupli-Color. With the chemicals in paints now a days one is really taking a chance with their health just using a paper filter. That young guy wants to be breathing with a oxygen tank in the near future. I was watching a part about candy colors. The filter I use is from a automotive paint supply company who has never steered me wrong in the past. GUY'S!!! Go for it! paint your bikes yourselves, but, use a filter that will remove all organics and what ever else is in the paints that cause cancer!!!