No worries Neshoba, you didn't know of Dans plight. I have a good feeling that Dan will be back with us before you know it. Keep vigilant with his progress and when he does come home, if I know him as well as I think I do, he'll get right back into the starter clutch mod.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey guys

Just signed up today. I've been a member over at vmaxforum.net for some time. Dano I sent an email to the address listed in the original post - I hope it makes it way to you. I've worked on that clutch twice in the last year and am looking forward to a permanent solution.

Hey guys

Just signed up today. I've been a member over at vmaxforum.net for some time. Dano I sent an email to the address listed in the original post - I hope it makes it way to you. I've worked on that clutch twice in the last year and am looking forward to a permanent solution.

You are on the right track to NEVER rebuilding or replacing the engage clutch again. I was one of the first to have mine modded by Dan here on this side several years back and it's been flawless performance ever since.

No doubt you will be pleased with it.

:2BLUE::group cheers:

Mike

• 1 month later...

Darn Yamamama, they're out of stock everywhere on the starter clutches, I'll have 2 left to do the upgrade for ya'll if'n you're ready for one.....

But DON'T take much time to get ahold of me and get it "started"!!

• 2 weeks later...
Darn Yamamama, they're out of stock everywhere on the starter clutches, I'll have 2 left to do the upgrade for ya'll if'n you're ready for one.....

But DON'T take much time to get ahold of me and get it "started"!!

Is this true for the Vmax starter clutch as well?

I'm looking to Vmaximize my 83 this winter.

The V-Max was the bike these were first installed on. Some of the bored out race VMax's couldn't live with the original starter clutches, so Dano and somebody else (Squidley???) came up with the redesigned clutch. I put one on my 89 Royale 2 years ago, and it hasn't missed a beat.

Frank D.

It is the big gear that is the kicker. If Yami discontinues it, then the starter clutch going will soon become terminal.

Dano

Maybe while you still have a new one on hand, draw it up with all of the critical dimensions so that some day down the road someone can look into making some up. If you want I can help.

It's actually the starter clutch that's out of stock everywhere right now......

Sorry for the discrepancy......

In a couple of weeks I will have one more available to do the mod,,,,,,

If'n you all forget,,, the Venture and the VMax are the same engine block!!

Big difference is in the heads with bigger valves and harder springs for higher rev's.......

Just ask Dingy....

I suspect Yammi will have to make more of these, hard to build new bikes w'out them!!!!

Squeeze is the smart guy who came up with the mod for his buddy who bored out a VMax to 1700cc's and it's STILL working in there after 3 years!!! :detective:

Not from another Yamaha for sure. Way beyond what they have offered.

The first pic is the OEM enage clutch which has three, count them THREE roller type enage prangs that are held in place by three springs about the same size as those found in a clicky type ball point pen. Far from what you might call heavy duty. The body of it also comes with cracks when it fails creating that nasty chatter when it goes bad.

The second pic is the old (left) and new (right) side by side.

The third pic is the old style in the rotor. Note the THREE mounting bolts.

The last pic is the new style mounted in the origianl OEM rotor. Note the rotor is machined by Dano to use the six bolt mounting. When Dano installs the new engage he aligns the clutch with the rotor dead center to make the fit spot on.

The biggest improvement with the new systen is the 19 elipitical prangs with the SS spring behind them so they have a solid contact and slip free engagement every time. That's 16 more contact points than what you started with.

The new system include the new 72 tooth ring gear that is different from the OEM gear also.

I was the first one to have this done by Dano and have no regrets on the upgrade. Several years of flawless starting.

But as I said, not your stock parts from Yammi. They wish! :rotf:

Mike

IMG_0513.jpg

Edited by Snaggletooth

I am surprised it's not from another Yamaha. So it's a secret what engine this clutch comes from ...

FYI, Before the first Venture was even made. The starter clutch was originally used on the '82 Vision and possibly a few other bikes. I have an '83 Vision. Yes, the starter clutches do fracture from loose bolts. Seems Yamaha forgot about Loctite back then. The starter clutches...I have 2 spares. That I origianlly got from spare Vision engines. One of which is new. The clutch, if not fractured or loose can bemade to work properly with just the 72 tooth gear, new rollers and springs.Which I did @60k and bolts not loose. That centering issue mentioned is not stated in the service manual. Something I will keep in mind.:fingers-crossed-emo

• 2 weeks later...

I attempted to fix the starter problem the "less expensive" (stock) way. So I ordered the parts from the list in the original post. I THEN tore the bike apart. I found the clutch was cracked. Now I need to order a clutch assembly which comes with the dowels, and springs, and caps already installed. The modified fix now seems to "less expensive".

moral of the story? two fold: less expensive fix is not always immediately obvious, and tear it apart before you order parts/diagnose the problem.

I am very appreciative of all the knowledge and advise offered up here and look forward to spending more time on this site now that I am a full fledged member

I know that this is an old thread but I will ask anyway; are there still parts available for the starter clutch modification.

There are currently three starter clutch and rotor assemblies on ebay. Two are from the 1200's and one from a 1300.

I have noticed a clunk and bang from my starter when hot. I snagged a 2003 4 pole starter for $29.00 from PinWall and am thinking that the complete package might be in order. Send the spare clutch and rotor for modification and maybe make a one day affair of the replacements.

I'm pretty sure either the 1200 or 1300 will both work as long as the 1300 is a 1st gen model. If I remember right this mod will not work for the 2nd gen 1300.

I'm sure Dano can confirm that.

If you're hearing the hammer bangin' in there you're probably going to find the cracked body like most others have found. Be a good time to get ready for swap.

You might PM Dano to check on availability of his parts for the mod.

Mike

Edited by Snaggletooth

Well, i'm not Dano, but since we're managing Parts and Supply within the two of us during the current meagerness, i can say some Parts-Sets are available from him in the Moment. Yes, the Upgrade will fit 1Gen Ventures, MKI and MKII, as well as the 1Gen Vmax. We're expecting the Drought go away later this Year.

• 1 month later...

While reading the thread about the starter clutch someone asked about a puller that would work. I found one from Dennis Stubblefield Sales, Inc. You can find him at www.dssalesusa.net . It is a special 12 hole disc flywheel puller. The model is MP#37. It comes with the 8mm x 1.25 bolts but I bought some a little longer to use. It is a round disc with holes arranged in it. You line up the 3 holes in the rotor with the puller, install the bolts through the puller and screw into the rotor. You screw the main bolt through the puller into the hole in the rotor till it touches the flywheel. I didn't put anything in between to protect the hole in the end of the crank as the bolt didn't seem like it would damage the hole. When you screw it in it will pull the rotor out. It was so easy I was surprised after reading about all the problems people have had getting the rotor off. I hope this will help someone. Sam

• 2 months later...

So what all gets sent to you? The whole mass, flywheel/gear/clutch assembly, as it pops off the shaft? Do you need an unbroken clutch or do you take the broken one? Which parts are the ones that are in limited stock now, the old stuff or the parts you need to do the mod?

Reason I'm asking is that I have one of each: 1 broken one on the bike, 1 used but unbroken one off the bike. I want to put the unbroken one on the bike for the time being, until I can afford a starter clutch mod from you, but I don't want to break it if you need an unbroken one for the mod. I have a complete 2nd set of the flywheel/gear/clutch assembly.

-Andrew