Thanks for the offer Squidley. I am in Gleenlock Farms not far from you. If when I have time to pull the starter clutch I reach a breaking point I may give you a call. If for no other reason maybe just to meet a fellow Venture rider. And to Snaggletooth Thanks, I will check out the cable mod.

Thanks for the offer Squidley. I am in Gleenlock Farms not far from you. If when I have time to pull the starter clutch I reach a breaking point I may give you a call. If for no other reason maybe just to meet a fellow Venture rider. And to Snaggletooth Thanks, I will check out the cable mod.

Sounds good, we never need a reason to hook up with other members, hell 5 of us went to dinner last night. The Houston crew is a good bunch and we have lots of fun together, we'll catch up with you sooner or later

:)

Snaggletooths rotor is done and on the way back to him, here are a few shots for those interested. You can see the plug used to center everything to the crankshaft in a couple of pics, this is one mod you'll never have to do again!

Snaggle clutch mod6.JPG

Mike you lucky dude.

I sure wish mine was back, and it has only been out of my hands for a half hour now, :innocent: today would have been a gorgeous day to have ridden to work, first time above freezing in a long time.

Dan

My flywheel finally made it into the hands of the post office today.

I have never had so many thing conspire against me getting something packaged and to the post office. But that could be a whole nutter thread.

I think I can now cut some other people a little more slack when I am waiting on my latest toy, stuff actually can happen.

I have a puller but none of the bolts will fit the flywheel. I have purchased some M7 with 1.0 threads and they fit the holes but there are no places I can get them in high strength or long enough to fit the puller. Yamaha wants over $200. for thier puller.:thumbdown: Any ideas out there?

The bolts needed are 8mm not sure of the pitch, I can check that when I get home tonight. I can also check the length that worked with my puller.

The bolts that I used came with my puller that I bought over 20 years ago for pulling the harmonic balancer off of a Chevy V8 engines. There are no grade markings on these bolts.

You will need a strong puller to get this off.

While I was looking for a clutch I found that PCW Racing has a puller specifically for this flywheel

http://www.pcwracing.net/featured.htm

I did draw up a CAD model for a dedicated puller that I was going to make, but I was finally able to get the puller that I already had to work.

Hey Erick,

Try your luck at a West Lake / Ace Hardware store. That is where I bought mine. I think they were about $6.00 or $7.00 bucks each. Pick up some thick hardened washers to go under the bolt heads to. A standard washer will pucker right up when you crank on these things. They don't slide off like a harmonic balancer I'll tell ya. LOL!

An Flyinfool.........it will be back soon. You can do it. It's snowing again here a bit and it's still around the mid 20's. Be a while before I hit the streets again. Decided last night that I'm going to finish all my other projects before I put the engage back in. I know......for a fact......that as soon as this old girl fires up I'm gonna be wanting to ride. Might as well have everything ready to go.

So with that said......back to doing my saddlebags.

Thanks guys. The M8's I had would not thread in, they were the right pitch. The holes looked like they weren't threaded but M7 bolts would thread in. I just ran a tap into them and picked up some washers and with some hard cranking and a couple of wacks with a rubber mallet it popped right off. Now I have to save some bucks so I can fix it. Bye the way all three bolts for the clutch were loos and no sign of locktite on them and of course the standard crack was there.

You guys better get awards for this one.

...maybe if they woulda start this thread about 5 months sooner they'd deserve an award...but not now!!!

:bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head:

...maybe if they woulda start this thread about 5 months sooner they'd deserve an award...but not now!!!

:bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head:

Well S wifty, did you mention your Culprit to anyone here ?

Plus, you met Dano last Year at MD, he sure would have told you about this, If you've said a Word. I know he told some People about this.

Not that i'm interested in an Award, but that's just not right :rolleyes:

Plus, you met Dano last Year at MD, he sure would have told you about this, If you've said a Word. I know he told some People about this.

:rolleyes:

And did some riding together down in Arkansas!

Gotta learn to ask those questions sometimes teacher! Even YOU can be taught sometimes!

Dan

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

It is a great mod for the bike. I was one of the first to have it done and it is still doing it like it did the first day.

Sadly, the man who does the machine work is Dano. Our Dan Obert. You may have seen he was involved in an accident this week and in the hospital with some serious injuries. It may be quite a while before he is able to return to doing this project.

Bear with us and hope he recovers well and soon and able to return us soon.

If you have any questions on this mod PM me and I will try to answer them. I'll find the Dano posts from the past and post them on this thread.

Mike