Thanks for the reply FlyinFool

1. If I take the middle gear cover off to check if it is leaking from where the stator wires exit - do I need to drain the oil or will it be ok with just a little drip (as I have read somewhere in one of the msgs)

I thought I was careful to make sure I didn't gouge any part of the case/cover while cleaning it (but I'm only human and could've missed something) - I also made sure I cleaned the old gasket remnants to help prevent any leaks and used a new gasket - seem to have a hard time finding gaskets, O-rings, etc for this - as most of the dealers don't have them in stock)

2. yes I cleaned it when I had it out with a 1200 (smooth one) grit sandpaper

I have tried to make sure it was it was aligned right multiple times as I was trying to figure out why it was leaking

It is pushed in all the way as far as it will go (where it stops when it hits the "shoulder" ) - there is no "play" in the connection

I will try it (re-clean and realign) again today and see if there is any difference.

Is Permatex RTV clear silicone adhesive sealant ok to use for both issues (stator wire exit and bypass tube connection).

If you take the cover off with the bike on the center stand you will get some oil out but not a lot, just a few ounces. The bottom bolt for the middle gear cover is the drain hole for draining the oil out of the transmission, that is why it has the copper crush washer on it. As long as you did not put a gasket sealer on, the gasket should still be reusable.

look in the hole and at the tube for corrosion and/or pitting.

If your RTV smalls like salad dressing it contains an acid that will eat metal and electronics. I use the black Permatex Ultra Black as it is acid free and safe around electronics.

I wrote a procedure on getting the wires sealed up, I will have to go looking for it.

edit;

Found it.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?71752-new-problem-with-bike&p=700696#post700696

Edited by Flyinfool
Add link

• 1 month later...

I got my rotor back a couple weeks ago with the starter clutch mod completed and It sure looks good! Great Job Dano! I'm finally getting the bike back together and got it started a couple days ago. Works perfectly! The #2 AWG battery cables and new battery sure help too! :cool:

Many Kudo's to you Dano! Thanks much!

• 1 year later...

I've been going over some the mods I've done on my '84 since I bought it back in 2006. I just realised it's going on 7 years since I installed Danos Starter Engage Clutch. That lil critter hasn't missed a lick since the day it was installed. Been flawless performance every time I hit the button. Sure there have been quite a few other items upgraded or just replaces since 2006 but without the engage clutch mod it was would have been in vain. Made my call to keep the bike worth the time and effort. So again, thank you Dano and Squeeze for your contribution to the Venture world. :happy34:

• 2 years later...

Hi Dano and Squeeze

I picked up an 88 1300 engine to put in my 84 VR and will be pulling it apart to refresh all the gaskets verify all tolerances and install a set of VMax heads.

Since I will have everything apart now would be a good time to upgrade the starter clutch.

Are you still doing these starter clutch Mods? I am in NB Canada but have a US shipping Address in Maine I can use to save a bit on shipping Cost.

Can you contact me on costs and availability?

I do not need any gaskets as I have a full set to perform the teardown/rebuild

thanks

HermanK84VR

• 3 months later...

Just an update on this process as some newer folks are checkin' into this....

As Yamaha has discovered, they're selling a bunch of these so the price of the parts have increased greatly...

The total cost nowadays to VR.org members is $385, includes the starter clutch, new 72tooth gear, all 3 gaskets needed and return shipping to you

Of course we do these for folks around the world, so'z if you're not in the good ol' USA then your shipping would be more.

Any questions email me at danob11@comcast.net or just PM me on here, I get the "PM received" notifications

Thanx, Dano

• 1 year later...

Another update to this post...I know, not on here much but still doing the starter clutches.

Price has now gone to $435.00 with the gaskets included and still shipping back to you.  The good ol' Pacific takes it time to get stuff over here, right now it's a 3-4 week ship time til I receive the parts from Yammamama.

Direct email is the best contact danob11@comcast.net

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Dano said:

Another update to this post...I know, not on here much but still doing the starter clutches.

Price has now gone to $435.00 with the gaskets included and still shipping back to you.  The good ol' Pacific takes it time to get stuff over here, right now it's a 3-4 week ship time til I receive the parts from Yammamama.

Direct email is the best contact danob11@comcast.net

Good to know @Dano

• Like 1