IGNORED

trunk relocation

I want to move the trunk back the one inch that is allowable. Has anyone done this?

There are hard rubber guides in the way can they be moved as well or cut with out any problem?

Ooh Ok I'll ask.. out of curiosity, why move the trunk back an inch? Not sure about how to do it, but it's not hard removing the trunk...

I believe that there is actually is an additional set of holes setup so that all you need to do is pull the bolts out, slide it back and re-insert the bolts (you may need nuts for the ends of one of the sets) but on some RSVs (I presume all, but maybe they stopped after a particular year) that's all you've got to do.

I believe someone has some pictures in here of how to do it. I know on mine it was pretty easy.

Good luck!! :happy34:

I am short and fat and the wife is also larger then most when wearing clothing she pushes the back rest forward.

really I want to try to avoid paying tolls on the 407

Cough cough but if you ride to the left or right of the centre line the camera can't cough cough pick up your plate.. I've never been sent an invoice yet when ever I go through there on the bike.. even on the VStar with it's highly visible plate.. cough cough..

(out of province people will have an invoice sent to them once the camera correlates the plate info to your home address.. )

IIRC when I looked at moving mine back, I noted that there is a molded rubber mounting thingey glued to the back bottom of the trunk that you will have to relocate to make the move.

Other than that, it looked to be easy to me, but MrsSquid said she did not want it moved.

AND IIRC, if you look in the bike assembly manual, there are written instructions.

I want to move the trunk back the one inch that is allowable. Has anyone done this?

There are hard rubber guides in the way can they be moved as well or cut with out any problem?

Well, why not relocate it thoroughly and move it back about two thousand miles. I´ll PM you my address in Iceland,,,,,,,,,,:big-grin-emoticon:

not to point you in another direction, but doesnt the back rest on your bike say solo riding only. Reason I'm asking is mine says solo only. My wife and I are in the same boat so to speak as you. We found that if we removed the back reat she had plenty room and I could just get closer to her and didnt need the backrest.

david

I moved mine back. Have an 07 and had to buy nuts for the back holes. I went ahead and bought longer bolts for the back 2. An inch makes a big difference in room for the passenger. My girlfriend no longer pushes on the drivers backrest.

• 1 year later...

Unstick the rubber from the bottom of the trunk because when you move it back it won't line up with the rail that currently supports it.

Also...there are nuts welded to the support under the trunk where the bolts currently go. Moving the trunk back you might have to put two nuts underneath (trying to recall from memory)

Moving the trunk back is usually done when you add passenger armrests.

Nope, Just remove screws and slide trunk back to the next holes, re-install screws

thinking I might have had to get a couple longer bolts. not sure as it has been so

long ago I did this. you may not have to. I had to move mine back do to my Trike

convertion my wife said she was to confined after the install. now she is happy :D

Thanks for the photos.

Jeff

Thanks Cougar....planning (hoping at least) to trike my Venture in the next few months. Perhaps I should just wait and let Hannigan take care of the trunk. The reason I was thinking of moving the trunk was because I put the replacement passenger backrest on. Hannah and I thought it would provide a little extra support for her. Since it is about 3 inches taller and the "arms" are a bit longer. Only had it on there for a couple of rides and so far she likes it.

Yep and Yep... WAIT until the trike mod is done before bothering with the trunk.

you will have to riase the trunk up just a tad with shock rubber washers to bring

the back of the trunk up over the trike rear end (outer trike body lip) anyways.

I will almost bet that your wife will get on after the mod is done and she will say

this does not feel right and it will feel to closed in for her.

I also added arm rest as well, not sure if yours are DimondR's or not. BUT I had

to cut ours done 2 or 3 inches and re-welded. worked out GREAT! not sure why they

make them so tall :confused24: wife is happy now with them cut.

If you have any qustions feel free to call me.

Jeff

The passenger backrest is the STAR unit. It is very similar to the original except about 3 inches higher and the "arms" curl out a couple of extra inches. I believe it is actually built by Corbin but I'm not 100 percent sure. I'm thinking that I will probably take the RSV to Hannigan in Murray, KY for the "triking". It's a VERY expensive job and the $$$ required are somewhat slim this past couple of years. Seems that my Navy retirement and SS checks did not qualify for any sort of increases. They both did qualify for decreases each year however!

just did this little mod myself. found that you do have to unstick the rubber "u" bumper and move it forward. used the same 4- bolts to reinstall. now just have to do some saddle time with the co-pilot to see if she likes it.

reguards

don c.