IGNORED

What kind of car do you drive?

Freebird

I don't think I've ever seen this question asked. I'm curious because it was time to replace Eileen's car and we looked at a lot of vehicles trying to decide what to buy this time. I pretty much left it up to her but it got me wondering what the rest of you here drive.

So....what are you driving and are you happy with it?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a few in the driveway, pretty diverse crowd:

02 Chevy express one ton extended van (maybe too big for Eileen!)

01 Durango SLT 5.9L AWD w/ leather heated seats and premium package

(will NOT get stuck in snow, excellent ice handler w/ Wrangler SRA tires)

97 Chry Sebring Convertible (reliable transportation)

79 Camaro (w/ built 350, headers and exhaust)

(probably a good idea for you but not her!)

Dan

Jana gets to drive the new Mercury Mariner, I get the used 05 Ford Escape (both basically the same vehicle). And I have an 02 Ddoge 1500 Ram PU in the business name. We have been very pleased with the Escape/Mariner vehicles since we bought a 2000 Escape for our daughters college graduation present. She still has it with 190,000 miles.

:farmer:

Just to clarify, I'm really not looking for recommendations, I've already traded her car. Just haven't revealed what she got yet. :) I'm just curious about what the rest of you drive. We have been married 15 years and she has had a wide variety of different types during those years. Ford Taurus, Mitsubishi Diamante, Honda Prelude, Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4, Monte Carlo SS, and her latest was a 2004 Kia Sorento 4X4. Her favorite was the one that we just traded, the Kia Sorento. She LOVED that thing. We had no problems at all with it but I bought it slightly used with 12,000 miles on it. I thought I checked it out very well and the CarFax showed no issues either but shortly after buying it, I found evidence that led me to believe that it had been under water. I found residue that appeared to be a mix of sand and salt in places high up such as the steering column, inside door panels, etc. Never had any problems during the 4 years that we owned it but I could see the flood damage starting to take it's toll and knew that it was time to trade it off.

My car is a 2007 Dodge Caravan. Not my choice as I really am not a van person but it's a company car and they bring me a new one every 120,000 miles. Since I don't pay for it, I can't complain and I've never had any problems with the Caravans.

04 Chevy Trailblazer with the I-6 (power of a V-8, MPG's of a 6, pulls like a horse, and doesn't struggle with our 18' 2 ton ski boat. 16 around town, 21 highway. we hardley ever drive it b/c we put the miles on the below)

95 Honda Accord with the I-4 (172K and still rolling strong. can't beat a honda engine, expecially a VTEC. 27 MPG around town, 35 on the highway)

When my Honda dies, I will get another one for daily commutes and just around time driving. When I move back to SC, gonna get a 2500 Chevrolet with the Duramax for "country living"

Ben

Just to clarify, I'm really not looking for recommendations, I've already traded her car. Just haven't revealed what she got yet. :) I'm just curious about what the rest of you drive. We have been married 15 years and she has had a wide variety of different types during those years. Ford Taurus, Mitsubishi Diamante, Honda Prelude, Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4, Monte Carlo SS, and her latest was a 2004 Kia Sorento 4X4. Her favorite was the one that we just traded, the Kia Sorento. She LOVED that thing. We had no problems at all with it but I bought it slightly used with 12,000 miles on it. I thought I checked it out very well and the CarFax showed no issues either but shortly after buying it, I found evidence that led me to believe that it had been under water. I found residue that appeared to be a mix of sand and salt in places high up such as the steering column, inside door panels, etc. Never had any problems during the 4 years that we owned it but I could see the flood damage starting to take it's toll and knew that it was time to trade it off.

Something I found out when I bought the Honda. Carfax will give you a 1 year buy back warranty on a salvaged/water damaged title that hasn't been processed at the time of purchase. This is free with a 30 days subscription, all you have to do is print it out with the VIN and date of purchase.

Ben

2008 Cadillac CTS 3.6DI RWD with the HP suspension package (minus the summer tires).

Very happy with it. Very comfortable (even though I'd say the front seats in my 03 CTS were more comfortable), roomy inside, large trunk, lots of power, and great gas mileage for the size of the car .. winter, 20/21 mpg to/from work and around town, 25/26 mpg highway; summer 23/25 mpg to/from work and around town, 27/28 mpg highway. I have gotten 30 mpg with it on a trip; opposite of the RSV, the CTS gets BETTER mpg at higher speeds). I've put a little over 20,000 miles on the car in just under 2 years with no major problems and what I'd call typical new car warranty fixes (piece of interior trim, side window adjustments, and a headlight washer replaced).

However, what might be a negative for some...this is not your father or grandfather's Caddy. It's a sport sedan, not a luxury boat. With the suspension package that's on my car the ride is pretty harsh...if I were recommending a CTS for someone else, I'd recommend one with either the F1 or F2 suspension packages, and I'd also say get the AWD version and not the RWD like mine.

Cathy's car is an 01 Pontiac Grand AM GT .. she loves that car, and it's still low mileage (85k) .. good grandma car for her with 4 doors, but still enough power to have some fun with, great sound system, great gas mileage, etc. As it's hitting the 10 year mark though since we got it, we'll be replacing it this summer. Cathy likes having a car, but lately has been talking a lot about smaller SUVs .. I know which one we both like, just need to wait for one to hit certified used lot (right now GM can't make enough of 'em new to satisfy customers) as I can't afford two Caddy's in the garage.

Edited by FJR Rider

Don, Nissan Murano is something to look at. Its same class and price range as cars listed above. I personaly drive 05 Suzuki Forenza Wagon, and happy with car. 53000mils and no problems at all. and most important is paid off. Good source to compare cars is Consumer Report .com or .org

Good Luck.

I drive a 2007 Ford Escape, its been a great reliable machine and goes thr almost any kind of snow slush better than anything ive owned. It tows my 12 x6 trailer with the Venture inside failry easily but it did grunt going up the mountain passes.

My biggest quibble with it is the mileage, it seldom gets more than 25mpg and when pulling the trailer i get 15-18 depending on wind.

Brian:2cents:

We both drive Ford F-150s. One has 301,000 miles on it and the other has 245,000 miles on it.

Both are strong running, use about a quart of oil between changes, still look decent, and both have ice cold air conditioning. I love my Ford trucks. Mama likes trucks better, too.

Probably gonna add a small car or truck to the stable soon, just for better mileage on trips.

We have always been a 2 vehicle family. I always have a truck, presently a 2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 and my wife would leave me if I sold her Subaru and didn't replace it with another one.

She presently has a 2005 Subaru Outback Wagon, she really likes it and I'm TOTALLY confident about her being able to get wherever she goes because of the All Wheel Drive feature.

Anybody that lives in NE Ohio knows that the weather can change in less time than it take to get to the store and back home.