IGNORED

I Found A Way! (adjusting the pilot screws)

Hi Jeff

I was glad to see your posting. I submitted a post last October asking if anyone used this method but never got any replies. This is the way we used to set up multiple carb engines and now that I know you had good success it will definitely be part of my spring tuneup.

Thanks

Doug

-- So after doing this, did you see an increase in MPG ?

No not yet, I will not be able to report anything until

the ice is gone off the roads. (might not be until next month)

I do notice and feel A huge difference in the way the engine

sounds and feels. anything would be great for me as I have

converted to a trike and I had lost MPG last year.

Cool, these pilot screws, where are they located?

There located under the carbs , when new there

also under a brass cap that you have to remove.

I was glad to see your posting...

Doug, keep in touch with me if you can , I am excited to

know how and what you think as well. you might be able

to have results before me. the way this winter is going

around here.! :confused24:

I do notice and feel A huge difference in the way the engine

sounds and feels. anything would be great for me as I have

converted to a trike and I had lost MPG last year.

Cool, these pilot screws, where are they located?

There located under the carbs , when new there

also under a brass cap that you have to remove.

You wouldn't have a 'dummies' guide to this procedure do you?

I'm able to get my carbs synchronised in the traditional manner with 4 hoses and adjusting the required screws under the tank but not sure how to go about this with the pilot screws..

Thanks in advance..

I'm wondering??? If the sync is way off, and perhaps if one butterfly were open more than usual, would adjusting the idle screw be beneficial on that one carb. Wouldn't it be better to sync first and then adjust, and then maybe re-sync??? I can see the value of highest vacume at idle, to adjust the idle screws, but wonder if it does any good on a set that is way out of sync. Or am I missing something here??

Why not adjust pilot screws, linkage screws, pilot screws, linkage screws, repeat as necessary until there is no more improvement through adjustment... being that it is my bike and I am not on a time clock I will do this process for as long as it takes to get maximum, equal vacuum on all four carbs

Now to find the pilot screws on my bike...

One thing that needs to be said;

When adjusting the pilot screws the engine should be at its recommended idle or adjusting the pilot screws will have no effect. Above the recommended idle the engine is running on the primary fuel circuit and not on the idle circuit.

Gary is right, I did not say that when I was posting. It is a must

to do this at idle. I did mine at 1000 RMP's. Guys this is ONLY how

I did this and I liked it, some you you will say this is not right etc.

I as well am going by a guy that has done it this way for years and

really thinks it helps his performance on his RSV. and I believe him.

This is like an experiment for me. and I am hoping that it will help.

I also am thinking of re-checking after the final sync as well to see

if that might even be better, maybe do a full sync first then do the

pilot screws next then another sync on top of that.

The other way is to buy a $10,000 machine that will also do this as well.

I am sure a real pro will chime in and say how this is all wrong.!! :whistling:

As for me , this is the way I will do this in my future carb adjustments.

I also still need to let you know what I think of the performance as well

when I can ride and up-date my results. I also am pulling my carbs back

off JUST to see what the (turns) ended up at. I am just curious to know.

Don't tell Freebird that I have it down to 40 minutes to pull my carbs now :rasberry:

PEACE..

Jeff

Edited by Cougar

Hi Jeff, I will keep in touch to let you know how this works for me. It will probably be a while since my bike is in mothballs until spring. My plan was to do as you suggested...sync, adjust and resync since I haven't sync'd my carbs since I bought the bike last summer.

As others have said this method has to be done at idle and an initial sync to ensure all carbs are running only on the idle circuit.

This is a good topic and maybe if enough people try this and report their method and results we can come up with a procedure to fine tune the mixture screws without having an expensive Exhaust Gas Analyzer.

It's good to hear comments from other members.

Pray for spring!!!

Doug

Prying........:fingers-crossed-emo but more ICE on the way Wednesday!

YES.. Please keep in touch Doug!

As I said; I am going to do ONE Finding maybe this weekend

when I pull that carbs back out just to see how many turns on

each carb I came up with. maybe there all back to 2 1/4 :D..

OR, If I can angle myself right and place my glasses right maybe

I can turn them in with the carbs in the bike. but you have to kind of get

at an Houdini angle and I could loose my count. :think:

Heck, I'm still trying to get a tach for this bike, the kind you temp attach to something on the bike.. Can't find one in Canada and can't buy one from the US to be shipped up here.. Homeland Security thinks a tach gauge is a dangerous thing to export.. go figure..

Need something to set the RPMs on the bike when setting idle or doing the carb synch..

Yamaha sells a small digital tach/hour meter ENG-METER-4C-01 for their generators that I mounted on my 08 Venture. It only requires one wire be wrapped around a spark plug cable. It is to slow to use for speed shifting but is great for rpm/gear checks and tuning. It only costs about $40. It is small enough to glue to the front brake reservoir. Or in my case I made a little bracket for it.

This meter is available from other vendors as well under various names and in many iconfigurations.

Go to ebay and enter this item # in search field 370322875271

Seller ID is ride4adventure

This guy sells these all the time.

They go for around $15.00 usually + $3.69 shipping. ($4.69 to Canada)

Search for other items by seller once you get to this item #. You can then see what he has.

He lists them under all kinds of different ATV, Bikes, Snowmobile names.

Same item.

Just wrap one wire around a spark plug lead and ground other.

It would be good for setting carbs & synching.

Gary

If this tach is only connected to one plug wire does it read actual rpm's or do you have to double the reading? There have been other posts on this site about only connecting a tach to one coil and it was determined that you have to connect to two coils to get accurate rpm's.

Doug

This guy sells these all the time.

They go for around $15.00 usually + $3.69 shipping. ($4.69 to Canada)

Search for other items by seller once you get to this item #. You can then see what he has.

He lists them under all kinds of different ATV, Bikes, Snowmobile names.

Same item.

Just wrap one wire around a spark plug lead and ground other.

It would be good for setting carbs & synching.

Gary

I have been in contact with the seller of these tach / hour meters

I have a unit coming to me now.

I am only suggesting these for test use and synching carb use. Unless the RSV people want to mount to bike.

The tach will read exact RPM to 5 digits and has switch setting for as follows .

The LCD will display 01 (spark plug fires twice per revolution), 02 (once per revolution), 03 (every other revolution), 04 (hour only,will not display RPM).

I have attached the user manual to this post.

If there seems to be interest in doing this I will start a clean thread on this subject.

If there is enough interest we could make a group buy of these for a fixed price.

I have looked at his prices for completed auctions on Ebay as high as $28.00 + $3.69 shipping. A couple went in $15.00 range including shipping.

Most seem to be $20.00 to $22.00 shipped.

If I could get orders for 20 of these he will give us a fixed price.

He will sell them to me in bulk for $14.50 each including shipping to me.

I could ship to buyer for $4.95 in US and maybe Canada priority. This would enable me to use Post Office supplied boxes.

So to round off cost & pay for my labels that I can print using Paypal I could get them for $20.00 apiece shipped to buyer.

This would eliminate people having to bid on them.

Let me know if there is any interest in this.

Gary :feedback:

Gary:

If this thing works like it claims to (and you verify that in your testing and you are happy with it) you can count me in for one :thumbsup2:

Depending on weight and actual size, padded envelopes may be much cheaper than the $5 fixed rate boxes. (Just a thought)

-Rick

EDIT: I can do pay pal to you as well, no problem with that here.

Edited by LilBeaver
Added okay for paypal

Gary

Thanks Gary.. looks like JUST the item.. simple and small and easy to use! I'm already lined up for several crab synchs this spring so it will come in handy for sure.

Thanks again!

I have been in contact with the seller of these tach / hour meters

I have a unit coming to me now.

I am only suggesting these for test use and synching carb use. Unless the RSV people want to mount to bike.

The tach will read exact RPM to 5 digits and has switch setting for as follows .

The LCD will display 01 (spark plug fires twice per revolution), 02 (once per revolution), 03 (every other revolution), 04 (hour only,will not display RPM).

I have attached the user manual to this post.

If there seems to be interest in doing this I will start a clean thread on this subject.

If there is enough interest we could make a group buy of these for a fixed price.

I have looked at his prices for completed auctions on Ebay as high as $28.00 + $3.69 shipping. A couple went in $15.00 range including shipping.

Most seem to be $20.00 to $22.00 shipped.

If I could get orders for 20 of these he will give us a fixed price.

He will sell them to me in bulk for $14.50 each including shipping to me.

I could ship to buyer for $4.95 in US and maybe Canada priority. This would enable me to use Post Office supplied boxes.

So to round off cost & pay for my labels that I can print using Paypal I could get them for $20.00 apiece shipped to buyer.

This would eliminate people having to bid on them.

Let me know if there is any interest in this.

Gary :feedback:

Hey Gary.

Sounds like a great plan.

I'd like two of them.

I can do Paypal.

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Rusty

Rusty

Hey Cougar,

Were you able ever able to get a setting for where your mixture screws were set at when you finished this procedure? I think I'm going to try this myself, and just see how it turns out.I'm going to turn my mixture screws in and count the turns so I can set them back where they were, just in case this doesn't turn out the way it is supposed to.I've had a mild popping and burbling on decel and think that maybe this will help. I bought a small Drag Specialities tach, 2" I think, from HellRiser Customs for $69.95 and used a Formotion handlebar clamp that I gave $19.95 for and mounted it next to my right hand

master cylinder.Mounted in almost the same position as the Baron's tach that mounts on top of the master cylinder, at a fraction of the cost. It works real well, and has a blue backlight that matches the the color of my 2007 RSV.