Doing some winter maint on the bike.

I see a few people mention using Autolites and of course the NGK OEM plugs and the platnums.

Anyone use Champions?

Pulling the original plugs, they are burning clean. The gaps are worn out to .038

Local O'Reillys has NGKs or Champions.

In my personal opinion, any standard resistor plug in the same heat range as the stock plug will be 100% "or more" :happy34: perfect and identical. Don't waste money on any "special" plugs like iridiums, platinum, split-fire or such.

As for brand, I don't think there is a real difference. Although I have only used NGKs in my RSV, I wouldn't hesitate to switch. Personally I love Champion plugs - have used them for 40 years now in every other bike, truck, car and small motor I have ever owned. Not exclusively, but I'm sure I have bought more Champion plugs than any other brand. For anyone who hates or loves a particular brand of plug, I absolutely defy them to show any difference in how they perform in a true side-by-side test!

Goose

I installed NGK Iridium plugs ... DPR8EIX-9 ... a "tad" expensive tho...

+1 but was chastised for doing so as a waste of money. My thought was to change them as little as possiable since you have to remove the "bog bones" to get the the front plugs. Good for like 60k miles. Works for me.

+1 but was chastised for doing so as a waste of money. My thought was to change them as little as possiable since you have to remove the "bog bones" to get the the front plugs. Good for like 60k miles. Works for me.

Folks can "chastise" me all day long for buying Iridium plugs but it's my money and my preference and that's all that matters.

As for the Champions, I've never had good performance out of them but they're good for lawnmowers and chainsaws LOL

Some years ago I did extensive dynamometer testing of different spark plug brands. I even spent some time at Champion's research lab in Orange County. I ran engines under partial and full loads for extended periods. There were some differences but they were minimal. Some plugs lived a little longer under full load and some lasted slightly longer under a partial load. But nothing stood out. None were better under all conditions. So pick the ones that seem to work best for you and be happy with them.

Mike

:dancefool:

IMHO,NGK for Japanese bikes. Champions may be (and probably are)better today than 25-30 years ago, but they never held up for me in anything but lawnmowers and chainsaws. Not speculation, just my experience, and no I can't prove it now.

IMHO,NGK for Japanese bikes. Champions may be (and probably are)better today than 25-30 years ago, but they never held up for me in anything but lawnmowers and chainsaws. Not speculation, just my experience, and no I can't prove it now.
Interesting comment, but think about it for a few . . .

Small engines like lawn mowers and chain saws have absolutely NO technology to fine-tune and manage the fuel mixture and engine timing - this means that the conditions under which the spark plug must function are the absolute worst possible. So if a plug works best in those conditions, it should, in my opinion, be able to work just as well in a modern engine with fuel and ignition management systems!

Goose

Edited by V7Goose
Make is sound less lika a fact than an opinion!

Interesting comment, but think about it for a few . . .

Small engines like lawn mowers and chain saws have absolutely NO technology to fine-tune and manage the fuel mixture and engine timing - this means that the conditions under which the spark plug must function are the absolute worst possible. So if a plug works best in those conditions, it must, by definition, be able to work just as well in a modern engine with fuel and ignition management systems!

Goose

Sensible logic; however, it could also be said that, while Champion plugs function well under the worst conditions, they may well not function as good under higher combustion pressures, leaner and cleaner fuels and high-output ignitions.... ya think maybe???

I recall years ago when I pulled wrenches for a living, we had a spark plug tester in the shop and we'd test the old plugs under varying loads to see if they were good or not (even if they looked good, they could still fail) ... then we'd test the new plugs just to ensure we weren't putting in a faulty one ... I'd guess in a box of 100 Champion plugs, at least 1 or more were faulty in that they would start to fail long before max load. Now, if we didn't check them, that would mean an unsatisfied tuneup customer 1 time in 100 ... not good for business. In those days it was generally Champion or AC Delco if I remember right ... can't recall if NGK was commonplace or not ... if they were, we probably didn't use them due to higher price.

Just my eggspeareance here... so since those days I have never used a Champion plug ... but, times have changed and maybe they've improved ... but I'll stick with NGK and for my scoot, I'll go with the Iridium. After all, there's only 4 of them and it's gonna take me a few years before they reach end of life.

I don't know what the difference was. Maybe it was related to the size and type that was used instead of the application. Maybe back then it was there were a lot more magneto ignitions with point and condensors, who knows? Just relating what i have experienced. IMO

There is no doubt that there are lots of variables with any engine and ignition system that could affect spark plug performance, and I am by no means trying to pass myself off here as an expert who can describe the impact of each variable. And I don't care if anyone likes or dislikes a particular brand. My main purpose in this thread was simply to provide a balanced opinion to the several members who so quickly labeled Champion plugs as trash.

Everything I have said on the subject of spark plug brands is strictly personal opinion. It is possible that Champion plugs (or NGK, for that matter) are inferior quality when compared to others, but I personally do not feel this is true. In fact, in my personal experience, I have purchased at least several hundred champion plugs over the years and have NEVER experienced a single defective plug (of which I was aware). Conversely, I doubt that I have purchased even 25 NGK plugs, and I have experienced one obvious failure, as I documented here last summer. I do not believe that proves, or even suggests that NGK plugs are worse than Champions, but it certainly does suggest that Champion plugs are NOT worse than NGk plugs! And that is why I defied anyone to prove any difference in performance with true side-by-side tests. Frankly, I'd love it if someone would prove me wrong on this (or any other subject), since that means I'll learn something and stop spreading false information. But in this case, I don't believe that is going to happen!

Happy riding on whatever plugs you use!

Goose

My main purpose in this thread was simply to provide a balanced opinion to the several members who so quickly labeled Champion plugs as trash.

:thumbsup2: and you do that so very well :thumbsup2:

As was my purpose .... to provide not only my opinion but also my experiance.

As for the following statement I made....

As for the Champions, I've never had good performance out of them but they're good for lawnmowers and chainsaws LOL

Allow me to retract that and re-state as follows (for balancing purposes) ...

"As for the Champions, I've never cared for them even though, for the most part, they seemed to work just fine 98% +/- of the time when I did use them (many years ago); however, for an inexpensive plug, they seemed to do just fine in lawnmowers and chainsaws"

I have been running E3 plugs for the last year and a half in both my Ventures and love them. $5.??. per plug and seems to start better and run better also.I run them in my trucks also.

Just my thoughts

As to some test run on TV and Magizines tests they are suppose to be the best out there right now. Who knows right ,everyone has his own Idea of the best. This is mine. Hope it helps

Of all the tests I have read they say Best HP, gas Mileage,Torque, and emissions which means burning all the gas that goes into the engine to get the most from it.

Bikenut:bang head::hurts:

I found these on Amazon for $7.40 each. Reasonable I suppose

NGK 2202 Iridium IX Spark Plug , Pack of 1

Spark Plug Iridium

Part No. DPR8EIX-9

Stock No. 2202

Gap 0.035

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/NGK-2202-Iridium-Spark-Plug/dp/B000CSGWZC]Amazon.com: NGK 2202 Iridium IX Spark Plug , Pack of 1: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/414IFcwJDAL.@@AMEPARAM@@414IFcwJDAL[/ame]

Edited by Gamecock
Easier Reading

• 2 years later...

Well, I'll be darned, I run chanpion plugs in My 2000 venture and it runs fine. Never any problmes. I change plugs around 15,000 miles. They look fine when I take them out and when I put new ones in the bike runs the same. Starts great and I get 39 MPG. The reason I decided on Champions is they are easier to get in and out since they are a smaller plug wrench wise.