IGNORED

replacing brake/clutch fluid

I contacted this morning the Yamaha dealer, for a price quote for changing the brake and clutch fluid. they told me it will take up to 2 hours to change the fluids ...is this correct ?

I thought always you can do that in 1 hour?

They quoted my 120 dollars labor and 20 dollars for the fluids.

2 hours sounds about right...

Pour a cup of coffee, round up tools, go to AutoZone for a bottle of DOT4, Hmmm, Coffee cup is empty, pour another cup. Hook up vacuum bleeder, suck out old fluid, Damn, Coffee cup is empty again, back to scoot, pour in new fluid, vacuum new fluid in and bleed air. Put up tools. pour old fluid in collection pan for later disposal.

Yeah 'bout 2 hours...:97:

You can do it yourself in 30 mins. Save $130.

I called 4 yamaha dealers in my area .. and they all quoted me around the 120 - 140 dollars.?.....and they complain that the market is down :bang head:

I never bleed the brakes/clutch before ..maybe I have to check for some tools ....the problem that I have is..I have to work outside on my bike..

I called 4 yamaha dealers in my area .. and they all quoted me around the 120 - 140 dollars.?.....and they complain that the market is down :bang head:

I never bleed the brakes/clutch before ..maybe I have to check for some tools ....the problem that I have is..I have to work outside on my bike..

My 2 cents:

I would wait until the weather breaks/ warms up and tackle the fluids my self to save the 130 bucks..in the mean time, read all you can on how to do it and what tools are necessary and once the weather breaks you only need to spend 1 hour max and your ready to ride..and you will have 120 bucks for gas.....:thumbsup2:

Although I agree speed bleeders make the job quicker, bleeding brakes can be done quite easily (imo) without them, especially the fronts. I did the fronts on the Venture about a month ago, which took about 30 minutes, including setup, cleanup, and a coffee refill. The only tools needed are a screwdriver (to remove the reservoir cap), a small wrench (to loosen/tighten the bleeder), and a small piece of hose to slip over the bleeder so you don't make a mess all over the floor (you put the other end of the hose in a jar to catch the fluid).

Full synthetic DOT4 fluid costs ~$3 at Wally World. That's all it costs, unless you have to buy a piece of hose, which could add another couple dollars.

One of my neighbors just had his brakes bled by a stealer this past Spring for $100. After I found that out, I've started having him over to do maintenance on his own bike. When he saw how easy and quick it was, he was not happy at all, especially since the dealer told him it was a long job which required special bleeder tools.

I contacted this morning the Yamaha dealer, for a price quote for changing the brake and clutch fluid. they told me it will take up to 2 hours to change the fluids ...is this correct ?

I thought always you can do that in 1 hour?

They quoted my 120 dollars labor and 20 dollars for the fluids.

Herman,

take a ride on Sunday up to Fredericksburg ($20.00 in gas max)(I gotta work on saturday) I'll show you how easy it is. Call me and i'll give you my addy. :happy34:

Or better yet. come to the M&E up here on the 23rd and We will do it before you head home.:happy34::happy34:

Herman,

take a ride on Sunday up to Fredericksburg ($20.00 in gas max)(I gotta work on saturday) I'll show you how easy it is. Call me and i'll give you my addy. :happy34:

Or better yet. come to the M&E up here on the 23rd and We will do it before you head home.:happy34::happy34:

Now that beats the H*** out of the Stealers offer!!!!

If you go up there just remember he really doesn't like his new name and prefers

"Mini Stud" :duck: :innocent:

$17.56 Tools Motion Pro Yes Yes

http://www.oldbikebarn.com/core/media/media.nl?id=39598&c=669440&h=b8d56d9ff011ef0ccee4

Motion Pro Hydraulic Brake Bleeder

#87-158143 Motion Pro(08-0143)

Makes bleeding brakes a one person job. This unique check valve allows fluid and air to escape while preventing air from re-entering the system. Instructions and hose included. Made in U.S.A. More info...

Availability: 0

Price:

$17.56

Retail Price:

$21.95

[/url]

http://www.oldbikebarn.com/Motorcycle_Parts?search=brake+bleeder

:256:

Herman,

Thank you for the offer... I contacted this afternoon a local Kawasaki dealer..and he charged me 40 dollars and that was including the fluid ...I know one thing ..the yamaha dealer will not see me anymore..

Thank you for the offer... I contacted this afternoon a local Kawasaki dealer..and he charged me 40 dollars and that was including the fluid ...I know one thing ..the yamaha dealer will not see me anymore..

So does that mean you are not coming to the M&E next Saturday?:whistling: Its still cheaper to do it my way.

So does that mean you are not coming to the M&E next Saturday?:whistling: Its still cheaper to do it my way.

Sounds like he already had it done ol' mini stud!! :smile5:

• 2 years later...

The speed bleeders works great and makes for an easy job. Would like to make a suggestion though, when you switch your old bleeder screw for the new speed bleeders, save the old bleeder screws, just slip them in a little zip lock pouch and if and when you ever trade or sell that RSV or RSTD exchange them and put the speeder on you new bike, saves reordering again. Just my 2 cents worth.:stirthepot: